What would you make sure to do at your last Glastonbury?

The other Bellboy

9 hours ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

I’m looking forward to watching it on TV having handed the baton over to someone new.  It will always remain a very, very special place.  

Great post, this bit made me think of the Yard Act lyric

‘It brings me peace of mind to know that this will all just carry on
With someone else
With something new
No need to be blue’

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

my last: number 30, was last year, and i didn't think of doing anything special cos it was my last, except relaxing into it and enjoying it to the full, getting around to see a few old friends who have been a constant part of my glastonbury experience

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

I say it'll be the last one every year, to the extent it is a running joke now with friends, but I'm pretty sure this is my last one.  I was too skint for it last year, can just about scrape it this year and I'm not as fit and healthy as I was.  

48 minutes ago, Neil said:

my last: number 30, was last year, and i didn't think of doing anything special cos it was my last, except relaxing into it and enjoying it to the full, getting around to see a few old friends who have been a constant part of my glastonbury experience

I thought your first was 86?  Only being pedantic as mine was 85 and I thought this year is my 31st - so it's possible I miscounted? 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

I thought your first was 86?  Only being pedantic as mine was 85 and I thought this year is my 31st - so it's possible I miscounted? 

my first was '86 i might have mis-countered (my number skills are badly messed up nowadays) but I  counted them carefully so i think its 30. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Talcroft said:

Massage in the Green Fields then naked sauna, definitely. 

I'd also sleep as little possible, by whatever means necessary. 

i went to lost horizons at the weekend, not the glasto naked place, but the venue in Bristol run by the shangri-la crew.

13 minutes ago, Nuthugger said:

i would play it as if it was my first

You cant repeat experiencing the wonder for the first time.

Once you know you know.

16 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’d say a tearful goodbye by climbing up to the Glastonbury sign late Sunday night, stay a while and pinpoint all the areas of the festival and take one last photo. 

My thought before I even read this comment. Just sitting up on the hill, taking it all in.

Other suggestion would just be returning to (as close to) the spot you were stood for your favourite ever set at the festival. Take a picture and compare it to the pictures you likely have from that spot.

Thank you everyone, for sure, i'll not be doing anything like queuing for the secret piano bar, I hate waiting at the best of times and I do always think that every minute spent queuing is one precious minute lost - especially at Glastonbury where its just a finite time of 5 days.

I had an halloumi cone in one of the early years - remember asking and paying for extra but some bugger had claimed it as theirs before i could grab it, so had to wait for another one to be made.  

I must try and get up the ribbon tower and see a set on the park stage - never done either of those.

I also do want to do an all nighter but will have my 2 kids with me, I am looking to get a helper to come along to the festival so I can have 1 or maybe even 2 very late nights or very early mornings, the kids would have no problem staying up till 12 or even 1 but would then sleep in most of the next day and I don't want to waste any time whilst there.

I've never had a massage or spent much time in the circus / theatre area so these are 2 things I will try and make up for. 

The music has never been the main draw for me, so there's no excuse for us not spending more time away from the main stages when they are on.

I will make sure to go back out of gate C at night to view the festival from there, because that was the first place I saw it from when arriving late on the Thursday night in 2007 - that memory has always stayed with me and every year I stand in the same place to take it all in - though it seems a little less is visible each time as some of the trees keep growing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I've never had a massage or spent much time in the circus / theatre area so these are 2 things I will try and make up for.

Head there on the Weds once you've set up camp and pre-book your slot. I like mine on Saturday morning, help cure the hangover and it's a halfway point, and if you've pre-booked you don't need to queue

(they do do walk-ins for no shows but risks having to queue). Best £15 I spent last year. 

The one thing I've never done and been tempted by is visit Lost Horizons for the naked sauna.  If it were my last (which this might be) I'd do that for sure.

I'd also do another all nighter at the Stone Circle.  Only did it once and it was beautiful.  I was the only one of our gang who stayed up so wandered up the hill about 2:30am with a bottle of spiced rum and made some friends.  When the dawn arrived and everyone just stopped and looked in silence until the sun broke the horizon, I genuinely had tears in my eyes.

If it's dry, you could always take the kids sleeping bags with you? 😉 

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I'd also do another all nighter at the Stone Circle.  Only did it once and it was beautiful.  I was the only one of our gang who stayed up so wandered up the hill about 2:30am with a bottle of spiced rum and made some friends.  When the dawn arrived and everyone just stopped and looked in silence until the sun broke the horizon, I genuinely had tears in my eyes.

Hehe, not to be flippant, but even though I always stay up late, if I waited until dawn I'd likely have inadvertent tears in my eyes anyway 😭

Speaking of the circus tent, has anyone here seen Cirque du Vulgar there? 😳😳😳😳😳 That was an eye opener. Amazing stuff though 😊 if they try to get you up on stage, just REFUSE! The poor guy who they dragged up there...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Speaking of the circus tent, has anyone here seen Cirque du Vulgar there? 😳😳😳😳😳 That was an eye opener. Amazing stuff though 😊 if they try to get you up on stage, just REFUSE! The poor guy who they dragged up there...

Nope - but on my wish list now!

On 4/9/2024 at 10:35 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Recall folk on here getting on their high horses - maybe even going so far as to complain to the festival - about the tomato fight as it was food waste whilst people were starving in Africa.

I remember some comments along those lines!

It was quite good fun although there was one guy just wearing a pair of pink hotpants that everyone picked on and he got hammered by numerous tomatoes.

ate 6 or 7 tomatoes while I was in there so they didn't go to waste

12 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If it's dry, you could always take the kids sleeping bags with you? 😉 

probably not dry enough for that, tends to be a heavy dew at the farm.

23 hours ago, Neil said:

my first was '86 i might have mis-countered (my number skills are badly messed up nowadays) but I  counted them carefully so i think its 30. 🙂 

According to Wikipedia there have only been 29 festivals since 1986. You need to do one more @Neil

8 minutes ago, km9 said:

According to Wikipedia there have only been 29 festivals since 1986. You need to do one more @Neil

I guess I miscounted then.

6 minutes ago, km9 said:

Can you be tempted to do that all important 30th??????

No,I'm too immobile to want to try it the last couple of festivals have been too hard work.

Plus I've sold my campervan (i hope).plus there's nothing on the lineup which makes me feel I'm missing out.

I didn't know it at the time, but I have already had my last Glastonbury. As I didn't know it, I never got to have the mindset that 'this is my last Glastonbury'. If I had known (and if it was allowed - no idea if it is or not these days) I'd have one last camp fire on an evening when the light was beginning to fade. I'd look down the hill from my campsite (what used to be Top Webbs Ash (and still maybe called that) at the 'town' below. I'd carry on watching until I could now see the place all lit up in the surrounding dark, and I'd say to myself 'I'm f**king going down into there in a bit'. And I would go down there, into town. I'd immerse myself in the frolics and shenanigans like an Emperor of the night.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3