How long does the coach from Birmingham take?

razorruck

Greetings. We have coach tickets from Birmingham (absolute idiot of a 'friend' insisted on Wednesday coach so all the Bris/Bath ones obviously sold out first, but he was also the only one who got through so I shouldn't moan), wondered if anyone knows where the pick up usually is and roughly how long it takes? ?Digbeth? I'm thinking 4/5 hours + potential traffic? Although I think they save a specific route for the coaches once it reaches Shepton Mallet.

Very much looking forward to The Breeders 🙂

9 hours ago, razorruck said:

absolute idiot of a 'friend' insisted on Wednesday coach

I'm racking my brains to try and figure out why this makes him an idiot!  But that's beside the point as all will be forgotten the moment you've got that wristband on I'm sure!

As for your actual question I've got no idea sorry but hope it's a smooth one. Depends on what time it leaves as well I guess.

See Ticket coaches don't go from the coach station in Digbeth but from next to the Hippodrome  Although I've taken the coach from Birmingham many times, I can't remember how long it takes!  But I think last year we got the 5.45 am coach and were on site around 1?  There's a stop at services of half an hour or so to give out tickets (usually, but not last year, we just pulled up at the side of the road somewhere).

And you won't know what time coach you're on til May either.

I'm with Scrump, why does buying Wednesday tickets make your friend an idiot?

Edited by Beerqueen
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It doesn't. He secured the coveted tickets and got more lucky than most.

That was my thinking as well. So we've got to assume the friend just happens to be an idiot, unrelated to glasto.

Like they say, if you look at your group of friends and can't see the idiot then it's you! Apart from my group of friends anyway. We don't have an idiot....

Oh and if you're travelling to pick up the coach in Birmingham from out of area, it's probably worth booking accommodation for the night before with free cancellation so that you can stay the night before if you need to.  As I said, our coach was 5.45 am!  If you want, I can let you know the name of the place we stayed.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scrump said:

I'm racking my brains to try and figure out why this makes him an idiot!  But that's beside the point as all will be forgotten the moment you've got that wristband on I'm sure!

The original poster lists their location as Bristol..

Personally if the group had agreed Bristol or Bath as a departure point, then I'd be seriously pissed off with someone going off-script and buying Birmingham especially as it means an extra few hours on a coach, a higher cost, and 80 quid or whatever on a hotel room.

2 hours ago, incident said:

The original poster lists their location as Bristol..

Personally if the group had agreed Bristol or Bath as a departure point, then I'd be seriously pissed off with someone going off-script and buying Birmingham especially as it means an extra few hours on a coach, a higher cost, and 80 quid or whatever on a hotel room.

Ah ok thank you. I read it as all the bris/bath coaches were sold out so they had no choice but to go from elsewhere. 

@razorrucki hope you get someone gives you some more details on your actual question 👍 

Dead easy journey - 3 and a half hours tops if there's no major traffic issues. Leaves next to the Hippodrome not the National Express station (which is better, dead central). 

I usually do brum to Glastonbury in 4 hours including a stop at Gloucester. Leaving from London for the first time ever this year so will have to make a new ritual! 

3 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

We got the 5:45am coach from Brum last year (left late as the driver went to the wrong spot to pick us up) on the Wednesday and we were all set up by just after 11 in Oxlyers. It was a really pleasant journey tbh.

God was it really that early on site!  But you're right actually, we walked straight in, set up tent, chatted to a few people and then there was a tiny bit of rain and I took a photo from my tent - just checked the timestamp and it was 1143.   

11 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

God was it really that early on site!  But you're right actually, we walked straight in, set up tent, chatted to a few people and then there was a tiny bit of rain and I took a photo from my tent - just checked the timestamp and it was 1143.   

So funny as to remind myself of how long it took I looked backed through our Glasto whatsapp and we also have a tent photo timestamped at basically that exact time as well 😂

9 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

So funny as to remind myself of how long it took I looked backed through our Glasto whatsapp and we also have a tent photo timestamped at basically that exact time as well 😂

Everyone retreated to their tent at the same time because of the rain!

Ah, just to clear things up – spanning nearly three decades worth of trial and error with our group of twelve known-since-school mates (or more at times), last few years six of us now usually opt for the Thursday coach from closest to home Bristol/Bath, then we all pitch in for the general release. This way, everyone's in.

However, matey boy who had general tickets last year found himself enjoying it so much that he (probably spur of the moment) tapped Wednesday this time around, despite our firm allegiance to the Thursday coach tradition. Seems the whole universe is drawn to Wednesday, and those buses from Bris/Bath are likely to sell out faster. Tapping Thursday gives us a bit more breathing room.

Now thanks to his spontaneity, we all have to dip into an extra day of annual leave just to make it to Brum and crash overnight (thanks for the tip, by the way – solid advice). Will be giving him all kinds of sh-t for the 4-7 hours down!

12 minutes ago, razorruck said:

Ah, just to clear things up – spanning nearly three decades worth of trial and error with our group of twelve known-since-school mates (or more at times), last few years six of us now usually opt for the Thursday coach from closest to home Bristol/Bath, then we all pitch in for the general release. This way, everyone's in.

However, matey boy who had general tickets last year found himself enjoying it so much that he (probably spur of the moment) tapped Wednesday this time around, despite our firm allegiance to the Thursday coach tradition. Seems the whole universe is drawn to Wednesday, and those buses from Bris/Bath are likely to sell out faster. Tapping Thursday gives us a bit more breathing room.

Now thanks to his spontaneity, we all have to dip into an extra day of annual leave just to make it to Brum and crash overnight (thanks for the tip, by the way – solid advice). Will be giving him all kinds of sh-t for the 4-7 hours down!

On the plus side, you'll all love that extra day at the farm - so it's not all bad!

40 minutes ago, razorruck said:

Please don't give him any grief. 

The only important thing to remember is that whoever got you any ticket that year is brilliant. 

I've been going for aeons and have arrived on many different days, but you'll see a great many of the regular posters here would bite your hand off to arrive Wednesday rather than Thursday - if you're setting up camp, getting bearings, having a wander and a drink.  It's all great 😊

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

Give him loads on the journey there, but when youre all set up and sorted and having your first wander round early wednesday evening, buy him a lovely pint and a little apple brandy from the cider bus 👍

1 hour ago, razorruck said:

Temple Meads to New Street on the train takes just over an hour and run well into the evening, no extra day annual leave needed.

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Temple Meads to New Street on the train takes just over an hour and run well into the evening, no extra day annual leave needed.

Still need the extra day's leave for the Wednesday though.  But not for the Tuesday - as you can say you can travel after work on the Tuesday night if you need to stay over.

Edited by Beerqueen

20 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Still need the extra day's leave for the Wednesday though.  But not for the Tuesday - as you can say you can travel after work on the Tuesday night if you need to stay over.

I read this bit as saying they need extra day (Tuesday) to get to Birmingham 

1 hour ago, razorruck said:

34 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I read this bit as saying they need extra day (Tuesday) to get to Birmingham 

Yeah I guess so, but nevertheless a Wednesday ticket rather than Thursday needs an additional day's leave, regardless of where travelling from. 

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah I guess so, but nevertheless a Wednesday ticket rather than Thursday needs an additional day's leave, regardless of where travelling from. 

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Glastonbury tickets. 🙂 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Glastonbury tickets. 🙂 

100%.  In 2022 when I was trying for coach tickets I had a plan to go literally anywhere to get the coach - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Brighton, as I say literally anywhere.  My plan was that I and my husband would drive to said place for a long weekend and he could then drive home leaving me to get the coach to Glasto.  I'd then book a National Express back from Glasto to Birmingham.  

All went to plan ... until I didn't get tickets. (Someone got them in the general sale for me instead).