Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

16 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Oh, absolutely. It's plenty going for it.

If we want to bring infamous streaming metrics into it, that's three artists inside the fifteen top-streamed artists in the world per month at the most recent count (Dua Lipa at #8, Coldplay at #10 and SZA at #13).

By those basis presented, this is a very strong trio.

I guess... I guess with Dua Lipa and SZA still being relatively nascent in the world however, it doesn't scream all-timer on paper the way other years have. 

I think this is one of those headliner trios that looks way bigger in retrospect, assuming Dua and SZA continue their expected career trajectory. 

Edited by Kaboom Boxer

3 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I think this is one of those headliner trips that looks way bigger in retrospect, assuming Dua and SZA continue their expected career trajectory. 

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. I don't think SZA is the one right now, looking at both the fact they've come to her as a third-choice and - for me - there are other active acts and artists I'd have booked ahead of her.

But her trajectory looks like it could only grow, and if it does indeed, this is going to look like a cracking booking in years to come.

Furthermore, even if she doesn't grow, it arguably safeguards her as a potential option to still headline in another seven or eight years, if needed. That could be vital, depending really on how the market moves.

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

benefited from his parents wealth

of course, as do loads of people. I'm sure they're fairly well off, I don't care.

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

from his first gig at his Dad's event,

When he was 12 ? 🤣 thats the equivalent of playing a school assembly

15 minutes ago, clarkete said:

yet intriguingly he is worthy of your stout and heartfelt defence

are you trying to suggest I am massively sexist because I don't think the 1975's massive success is more than about 1% down to who his parents are?

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

of course, as do loads of people. I'm sure they're fairly well off, I don't care.

are you trying to suggest I am massively sexist because I don't think the 1975's massive success is more than about 1% down to who his parents are?

There's a huge gulf between a band trying to make it with zero industry contacts and a band trying to make it whose mum/dad will know someone who'll know someone who has enough influence to get them in front of the right people.

It's not about whether fans of the 1975 know who his parents are, it's the fact his parents can say to someone in the industry "my son's got a band actually, don't suppose you know anyone who could get their demo to X/get them a few gigs".

Would they have got where they are anyway? Maybe. But it doesn't hurt to have some doors opened already for you.

1 minute ago, mouserat said:

There's a huge gulf between a band trying to make it with zero industry contacts and a band trying to make it whose mum/dad will know someone who'll know someone who has enough influence to get them in front of the right people.

It's not about whether fans of the 1975 know who his parents are, it's the fact his parents can say to someone in the industry "my son's got a band actually, don't suppose you know anyone who could get their demo to X/get them a few gigs".

Would they have got where they are anyway? Maybe. But it doesn't hurt to have some doors opened already for you.

Yeah am not disagreeing with that at all. It's just a small footnote in a very successful career though imo.

All the evidence points to the fact they would have made it just fine. As 'nepo babies' go I think Healy is far from the most egregious example.

Also I love how having a few doors opened for you cause your mum is on loose women is a cardinal sin but EE basically inheriting her job is totally fine. Cause people on here are so biased. Makes no sense

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah am not disagreeing with that at all. It's just a small footnote in a very successful career though imo.

All the evidence points to the fact they would have made it just fine. As 'nepo babies' go I think Healy is far from the most egregious example.

Also I love how having a few doors opened for you cause your mum is on loose women is a cardinal sin but EE basically inheriting her job is totally fine. Cause people on here are so biased. Makes no sense

Do you have an issue with Michael' kids who are running the dairy farm now? I've got a roofer coming to give me a quote and it's x and sons. Should I say I don't want the son involved because of his inherited privilege??

That's an accepted practice in family businesses. I also think if one of his kids was a sh*t farmer they probably would still get to keep running the farm but actually if Emily was sh*t at her job Michael would have stepped back in and got someone else to do it. I think you really need to look at whether you want to spend the rest of IWD slating one of the few female bookers in the industry who did basically receive a lifetime of training for the role and has proven herself time and time again.

In that respect she's no different to your beloved Matt Healy.

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think you really need to look at whether you want to spend the rest of IWD slating one of the few female bookers in the industry who did basically receive a lifetime of training for the role and has proven herself time and time again.

I'm not slagging her I pointed out a simple fact and people started getting upset about it. I said she's great. My point is she has had 10x the leg up in the industry that Matt Healy ever has had. This will no doubt trigger you cause Matt Healy= bad and anything Glasto= amazing.

10 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In that respect she's no different to your beloved Matt Healy.

I don't even like Matt Healy I think he's a massive c**t lol

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Matt Healy’s parents are not ‘very famous’ by any stretch of the imagination. 

I think you'll find his dad is the most famous cross dresser in the whole of Benidorm. 

45 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Well you've got a clear bias, but I don't care why. 

You're misrepresenting both his and her situation and in this thread ffs, it's embarrassing. 

16 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Well you've got a clear bias, but I don't care why. 

You're misrepresenting both his and her situation and in this thread ffs, it's embarrassing. 

What am I misrepresenting? What is wrong here:

1)His parents are well off and famous to some extent, might have opened some doors for him starting out but since then any impact is minimal

2)Emily inherited her job. She happens to be really good at it but she never got it in the first place due to her own work.

Pinpoint exactly what you disagree with here?

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

What am I misrepresenting? What is wrong here:

1)His parents are well off and famous to some extent, might have opened some doors for him starting out but since then any impact is minimal

2)Emily inherited her job. She happens to be really good at it but she never got it in the first place due to her own work.

Pinpoint exactly what you disagree with here?

Emily got a chance to do small bits and got to do more and more because she consistently proved herself. She set up the whole Park area itself. It flourished and is many people's favourite part of the festival.

Matt Healy's parents are very wealthy, able to pay for finest education and have many, many connections within the industry that he is now famous in. His other sibling is also an actor. Both have followed their parents into the family business of entertainment.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Emily got a chance to do small bits and got to do more and more because she consistently proved herself. She set up the whole Park area itself. It flourished and is many people's favourite part of the festival.

Ok great she is really good at it. I'm sure she would have had equal chance to prove herself if she worked at tesco and wasn't the daughter of the festival creator. Fs why do i have to keep spelling it out. She is great at it, i am not saying otherwise.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Matt Healy's parents are very wealthy

and what? who cares honestly. Do you listen to bands and even give stuff like that a second thought? His parents are rich, he's a c**t im not denying that

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Both have followed their parents into the family business of entertainment.

yep, i've never said otherwise. Maybe a few doors opened early on, after that irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Ok great she is really good at it. I'm sure she would have had equal chance to prove herself if she worked at tesco and wasn't the daughter of the festival creator. Fs why do i have to keep spelling it out. She is great at it, i am not saying otherwise.

and what? who cares honestly. Do you listen to bands and even give stuff like that a second thought? His parents are rich, he's a c**t im not denying that

yep, i've never said otherwise. Maybe a few doors opened early on, after that irrelevant 

And if Matt Healy's parent worked at Tesco he'd probably also be working at Tesco. That's the point.

It happens in every profession. I worked in a supermarket for a while when I was a kid and it was absolutely full or parents and their children working in there.

Yes Emily got to have a go at booking festivals because she was raised in a family who booked festivals, like her other siblings got to get involved in the dairy industry because of their Dads other job.

Matt and mini-Bono also got to have a much greater chance of being in bands because of their parents careers and connections.

Once you get your chance you have to take it. Yes it feels inherently unfair when its careers that people look enviously upon rather than the job at Tesco but that's the way the world works at the moment.

Emily is probably doing more to try and change that world than most though because she has also been raised with better ethics.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2024-emily-eavis-update-headliners-line-up-next-week/

This three female headliners in 2025 or 2026 thing is now catching fire due to someone mishearing at the talk and OOF Festivals plastering it all over social media.

Its not what she said.

FFS.

Luckily that will be the last we hear of it and there's no chance of it being brought up every few hours or so for the next two or three years.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

And if Matt Healy's parent worked at Tesco he'd probably also be working at Tesco. That's the point.

It happens in every profession. I worked in a supermarket for a while when I was a kid and it was absolutely full or parents and their children working in there.

Yes Emily got to have a go at booking festivals because she was raised in a family who booked festivals, like her other siblings got to get involved in the dairy industry because of their Dads other job.

Matt and mini-Bono also got to have a much greater chance of being in bands because of their parents careers and connections.

Once you get your chance you have to take it. Yes it feels inherently unfair when its careers that people look enviously upon rather than the job at Tesco but that's the way the world works at the moment.

Emily is probably doing more to try and change that world than most though because she has also been raised with better ethics.

Sadly the world is full of 'its not what you know, its who you know'

Found that out a lot through working the last 20 years. 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

So why do you disagree with me so much when I said yes Matt Healy had a leg up starting out but obviously so did Emily?

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Matt and mini-Bono also got to have a much greater chance of being in bands

Big difference between your Dad being Bono and being an actor on Benidorm tho isnt there

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've never said anything about her talent or how nice she is. She seems lovely and talented.  

38 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

https://www.radiox.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2024-emily-eavis-update-headliners-line-up-next-week/

This three female headliners in 2025 or 2026 thing is now catching fire due to someone mishearing at the talk and OOF Festivals plastering it all over social media.

Its not what she said.

FFS.

This happens so often. You only really notice it when you make the effort to check your sources. The media (including social media) always report what they want to report

On this note the forum is very male dominated I’m happy to take dms to try and attempt to level things up slightly and for those afraid to post or don’t sometimes because of a higher male representation please feel free 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

So why do you disagree with me so much when I said yes Matt Healy had a leg up starting out but obviously so did Emily?

Big difference between your Dad being Bono and being an actor on Benidorm tho isnt there

I've never said anything about her talent or how nice she is. She seems lovely and talented.  

The difference is in this thread you have sought to minimise the importance of Matt Healy's connections and suggested that Emily has been handed Glastonbury Festival on a plate like it's her birthright when actually what has happened with both of them is likely a very even level of leg up.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Sadly the world is full of 'its not what you know, its who you know'

Found that out a lot through working the last 20 years. 

Exactly I worked in a company that had 525 employees. On my first day working there I was warned never to say anything bad about anyone unless I knew who I was talking to as over 20% of the employees were either married to or related to someone else working there.

I currently work at the company where I am because my husband recommended me for the job. It was a job he knew I had the skillset to do but it likely would never have been advertised anywhere they were looking for someone to recommend a family member/friend for the role to cut down on recruitment costs.

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

minimise the importance of Matt Healy's connections

I tried to argue that it might have given him a leg up early on but has little consequence now and they largely got to where they are on merit 

22 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Emily has been handed Glastonbury Festival on a plate

Your words, not mine but I mean to an extent... yes she has. She literally only had the opportunity cause of her Dad. You can't tell me the only possible way Healy has become a successful musician is his parents being famous. I can 100% say that Emily wouldn't be doing that job if her dad wasn't ME. She happens to be great at it.