UK Politics

kalifire

14 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

If the comments reported by the Mail are verified, and he has seemed to confirm them, then Labour must withdraw their candidate from the Rochdale by election. 

Disgusting conspiratorial rubbish that spreads disinformation and does nothing to help the Palestinian resistance to the continuing genocide. 

I thought Antisemitism was the preserve of the evil Mr Corbyn and Starmer had driven it out? That's what I was told, repeatedly, by Mr Starmer's supporters anyway. 

I'm not sure what they can do at this late stage, they should withdraw support then if he wins take the whip off him and de-select him ahead of the GE. This is why Labour have such a strict vetting process of candidates.

29 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

If the comments reported by the Mail are verified, and he has seemed to confirm them, then Labour must withdraw their candidate from the Rochdale by election. 

Disgusting conspiratorial rubbish that spreads disinformation and does nothing to help the Palestinian resistance to the continuing genocide. 

I thought Antisemitism was the preserve of the evil Mr Corbyn and Starmer had driven it out? That's what I was told, repeatedly, by Mr Starmer's supporters anyway. 

should help fend off support for Galloway.

But seriously he shouldn't be allowed to stand, but probably will. What an idiot.

Edited by steviewevie

I'm not sure they can replace him at this stage but I'm not clear on what the rules are (both Labour internal and UK electoral). I think they have two options:

Defend their candidate on the basis of his apology and continue campaigning for him to be the Labour MP for Rochdale or suspend campaign and not endorse a candidate. Ali is then effectively an independent. Labour members who then campaign for him are breaking party rules. The latter would seem the right option to me. 

But noise seems to be that he will be the Labour candidate. This creates a situation where if elected he will very likely immediately be suspended from the PLP. So in effect Labour are backing an independent who, if he wins, they will then stand their own candidate against this year. 

51 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

I'm not sure they can replace him at this stage but I'm not clear on what the rules are (both Labour internal and UK electoral). I think they have two options:

Defend their candidate on the basis of his apology and continue campaigning for him to be the Labour MP for Rochdale or suspend campaign and not endorse a candidate. Ali is then effectively an independent. Labour members who then campaign for him are breaking party rules. The latter would seem the right option to me. 

But noise seems to be that he will be the Labour candidate. This creates a situation where if elected he will very likely immediately be suspended from the PLP. So in effect Labour are backing an independent who, if he wins, they will then stand their own candidate against this year. 

Yeah I see the latter happening, they’ll probably still win the by-election anyway and then start disciplinary proceedings against the guy which means taking the whip away etc. 

29 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

They've got to suspend campaigning for him I reckon.

Some are saying he’s been formally suspended, will receive no further support and will have the whip withdrawn. It’s a tricky situation as nominations have closed. 

6 hours ago, SalviaPlath said:

They should cease campaigning altogether and make it clear any member who supports him now will be suspended. CLP who presumably selected him must be put into special measures too. 

CLP WIULDN'T NECESSARILY KNOW THOSE VIEWS.

Edited by Neil

50 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's a good point tbf. It's prob someone anti-Starmer loving the chance to throw this at him.

not anyone that wants the tories out and labour in!

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Some are saying he’s been formally suspended, will receive no further support and will have the whip withdrawn. It’s a tricky situation as nominations have closed. 

If that's the case then it's the right action. We'll see I guess.

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

not anyone that wants the tories out and labour in!

There's still a lot of Corbynistas who think that "winning the argument" and "being on the right side of history" matters more than shaping history/the country. I'm no fan of Starmer but I think holding onto sh*t like this to damage him is idiotic BS.