2025 Headliners

46 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Biffy, I get on this, but don't think Foals were ever at that level, surely? They never even got to The O2. (Granted, selling out double nights at Alexandra Palace makes the same, but still a glaring omission.)

There was a time around 16/17 when both Foals and Biffy could arguably have been pushed into a headliner slot without too many complaints (arguably either should have gotten the gig ahead of Muse). But that ship has long sailed now.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

There was a time around 16/17 when both Foals and Biffy could arguably have been pushed into a headliner slot without too many complaints (arguably either should have gotten the gig ahead of Muse). But that ship has long sailed now.

I don’t think Foals could’ve actually done it at that time, but they were a great album/big single away from maybe getting there and they instead f**ked it and released What Went Down, and then took four years to follow that up.

Kinda the same story with Biffy tbh - Opposites wasn’t all that and then Ellipsis was worse.

18 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I don’t think Foals could’ve actually done it at that time, but they were a great album/big single away from maybe getting there and they instead f**ked it and released What Went Down, and then took four years to follow that up.

Kinda the same story with Biffy tbh - Opposites wasn’t all that and then Ellipsis was worse.

I dunno if you can say What Went Down was what f**ked it for them, some of their biggest songs were on that album. If they'd done another that was as successful as that and Holy Fire then I could have seen it, but that double album thing they did in 2019 was the nail in the coffin.

Anyway, The 1975 always have and always will be bigger than Foals/Biffy. They were bigger from the get go and have always maintained more popularity than the others ever got. I agree the time for them to headline Glasto might have passed - partly due to Covid and also Glasto choosing AM over them last year. But they're still a possibility, maybe as a backup one year when Plan A falls through.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I dunno if you can say What Went Down was what f**ked it for them, some of their biggest songs were on that album. If they'd done another that was as successful as that and Holy Fire then I could have seen it, but that double album thing they did in 2019 was the nail in the coffin.

Weirdly I actually think Foals' best albums are both parts of Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost. But either one of those two needed to produce a mega-single to get them into a conversation last that and nothing quite did.

Still big to a degree tbf given they sold out their last arenas tour and can headline mid-level fests, but I think they've declared their okay if that's level.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Anyway, The 1975 always have and always will be bigger than Foals/Biffy. They were bigger from the get go and have always maintained more popularity than the others ever got. I agree the time for them to headline Glasto might have passed - partly due to Covid and also Glasto choosing AM over them last year. But they're still a possibility, maybe as a backup one year when Plan A falls through.

Would make a change tbf given they seem to be Reading's on call back-up headliner.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can buy Foals as ever being a Pyramid headliner. Undoubtedly got close, but conversely, feel they never were at the actual level to do it. Biffy Clyro, on the other hand, probably were between 2013 and 2015, while The 1975 remain so now. (There was a point during the pandemic where I was questioning that too, but the success of Being Funny in a Foreign Language and their step-in for Rage Against the Machine leading to a very successful tour in 2023 firmly put me back on the footing.)

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If she does choose to put a new production out for it next year, maybe.

Think it's more likely she adds a string of tracks to the upcoming Eras run, then maybe presents a slimline string of dates back in the USA though.

The whole merch and plan of the eras tour is 10 albums , would feel weird to shoe Horm in another album 

I could imagine her doing a limited tour and maybe BST in the UK 

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

The whole merch and plan of the eras tour is 10 albums , would feel weird to shoe Horm in another album 

I could imagine her doing a limited tour and maybe BST in the UK 

Is there a chance merch is overhauled ahead of the European legs?

It's so odd she's choosing to drop new material now, when the next TV release would still keep her firmly atop the pop news cycle with the tour still ongoing.

It's obviously a calculated move, but it doesn't exactly feel like one that will strengthen her brand and status when she's already as big as you can pretty much get.

47 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's so odd she's choosing to drop new material now, when the next TV release would still keep her firmly atop the pop news cycle with the tour still ongoing.

It's obviously a calculated move, but it doesn't exactly feel like one that will strengthen her brand and status when she's already as big as you can pretty much get.

Although her being such a prolific songwriter is nothing to be sniffed at, she’s very much making these moves to stay at the top-top-TOP for as long as possible whilst she’s there, and the re-releases (especially the couple left not exactly being her best work) are perhaps not enough to do that alone. Getting a new album out now ensures her chart dominance for another couple of years with the re-releases giving her little bumps along the way until the next new album. 

Just now, FloopFiller said:

Although her being such a prolific songwriter is nothing to be sniffed at, she’s very much making these moves to stay at the top-top-TOP for as long as possible whilst she’s there, and the re-releases (especially the couple left not exactly being her best work) are perhaps not enough to do that alone. Getting a new album out now ensures her chart dominance for another couple of years with the re-releases giving her little bumps along the way until the next new album. 

Perhaps so. Obviously the sales for 1989 TV were terrific, but also seems to be something of a consensus that, with hindsight, Reputation is a bit of a dud record among the ones she can recycle.

49 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If she does choose to put a new production out for it next year, maybe.

Think it's more likely she adds a string of tracks to the upcoming Eras run, then maybe presents a slimline string of dates back in the USA though.

The tour already is going back to the USA & Canada at the end of this year for shows in October / November / December.

There's an issue surrounding scheduling of suitable venues though. Aside from the first stop in Miami in mid October, the venues being used later this year are all fully enclosed with roofs covering the pitch. To add any further shows, then it'd either be a case of finding suitable and available venues or waiting until April-ish (exactly when will vary by location) when the weather becomes viable to run outdoor shows again.

Just now, incident said:

The tour already is going back to the USA & Canada at the end of this year for shows in October / November / December.

There's an issue surrounding scheduling of suitable venues though. Aside from the first stop in Miami in mid October, the venues being used later this year are all fully enclosed with roofs covering the pitch. To add any further shows, then it'd either be a case of finding suitable and available venues or waiting until April-ish (exactly when will vary by location) when the weather becomes viable to run outdoor shows again.

To be honest, I don't think Eras will play into another year. Think it wraps this time around and she goes looking for that film project.

But mere speculation. End result is that I don't think she's on the cards for 2025 though, but she would be an astonishing get if so.

Sam Fender / Taylor Swift / Billy Joel or Dave / Taylor Swift / Depeche Mode or The 1975 / Taylor Swift / Foo Fighters would all be excellent trios. She automatically beefs up any lineup.

I don’t think she’s on the cards for 2025 but it feels more likely than it did 24 hours ago on the basis that she’s subverted the expectation of album-tour-break-album-tour etc. by announcing this. 

Edited by Drinky

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

All 4 members of REM apparently onstage last night in Athens Georgia.

Not buying it after Talking Heads got us all excited for nothing a couple of months back. I’d be ecstatic if anything did come from it, but their breakup was kind of perfect and they’ve been pretty adamant they’d never go back on it.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:12 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Her stamina is off the charts, I'll give her that. Maybe I'm just surprised because there'd been the chatter she was going to make another stab at movies after this.

To be fair, at least half her output is re-recording songs that have already been written and largely produced. A ‘Taylor’s Version’ is pretty far from a new album.