Mad Cool 2024

MK1

20 hours ago, VCF said:

This line up looks like they’ve put all the names in a random generator thing.

First day is not bad though.

Motxila 21 that high on the poster is ridiculous.

Putting Motxila next to Pearl Jam on the poster seems like something the "Make a wish foundation" would arrange for them as a nice gesture.

• Upvote 1

Bought 4day ticket but I Hope they update the so/so  lineup with a great headliner (Foo, Tool) and 3/4 undercard acts (Turnstile, London Grammar, Limp Bizkit, Beach House…

But I , m not very optimistic out of inminent precedents, although the festival CEO declared that they have almost signed a strong headliner who will skyrocket budget at 22/23 million€…

On 12/15/2023 at 7:15 PM, Big Kahuna said:

Bought 4day ticket but I Hope they update the so/so  lineup with a great headliner (Foo, Tool) and 3/4 undercard acts (Turnstile, London Grammar, Limp Bizkit, Beach House…

But I , m not very optimistic out of inminent precedents, although the festival CEO declared that they have almost signed a strong headliner who will skyrocket budget at 22/23 million€…

Got 4 day ticket as well and very intresting about those words from the CEO 

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2023 at 7:15 PM, Big Kahuna said:

Might sound strange but it could be Madonna. If she’s playing BST around that time, she’ll have her tour set up for festivals & there aren’t many other acts that would/could demand that type of fee, save perhaps AC/DC, the Stones, Swift. 

AsI said, I,m not very optimistic about last healiner. in fact I prefer they got 3/4/5 strong undercard acts , to enjoy them in relative confort that one  ultragreat headliner who will be very tough to enjoy ( like Last year RHCP)

To me it,s still a enygma why they did not confirm FOO FIGHTER last week if they are pretending to got them

MC is prone to mind games, so they got what they wanted, people wondering...

On 12/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, prefab said:

I think they'll probably fix some of the worst problems with the venue, as they were rushing to get the new space completed in time for last year's Mad Cool. But some of the problems included the horrific bathroom situation--only one huge block of toilets in the very center of the venue, with a single entrance and exit that kept getting bottlenecked. And some of the bars were terribly understaffed, resulting in long waits. And there were exposed electric pylons, surrounded by flimsy fences, that seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

On the first day, there was a long long wait in the hot sun in order to get our wristbands, since they didn't open the gates until just a few minutes before the first acts started playing. Getting back from the festival was also an experience, as there was a crowd crush situation at the Metro, only barely controlled by the police at the doors. But most of this is stuff that is fixable, so people going to Mad Cool 2024 should have an easier time of it. I just won't be one of them, because there's almost nothing in this lineup that appeals to me.

It's a shame that this echoes almost like for like my experience in 2018. Horrendous queues, sound bleed problems, and generally poor organisation completely railroaded my holiday it's a shame because the lineup is always decent but organisation history seems to be poor

On 12/15/2023 at 8:43 PM, corndog said:

Bought 4 day ticket today as well. Would love Foo and Limp being added. 

I doubt it but I wonder if AC/DC has any chance lol. I only say that because the headliner slot on saturday looks to be a short name (or maybe the spacing doesn't matter)

Someone said on the AcDC fan forum that Mad cool CEO has apprently splashed a casual €20mill for a big act. I'm not sure that's realistic considering ticket price and the calibre of acts already on the bill but there's not many acts who could charge that

2 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

Someone said on the AcDC fan forum that Mad cool CEO has apprently splashed a casual €20mill for a big act. I'm not sure that's realistic considering ticket price and the calibre of acts already on the bill but there's not many acts who could charge that

They're also giving out free champagne all festival long.

37 minutes ago, skillfulperson said:

That someone can't really read spanish.

The article says that if they end up closing that booking their initial budget will increase... (to reach a TOTAL of 23 million).

“Estamos justo cerrándolo ahora. Está casi hecho. Si lo firmamos nuestros presupuesto para este año aumentará [unos 23 millones de euros en total]”, señala Arnaiz.

https://elpais.com/cultura/2023-12-11/pearl-jam-dua-lipa-tom-morello-avril-lavigne-mad-cool-anuncia-cartel-y-promete-solucionar-la-masificacion.html

Also, 23.000.000€ / 70.000 pax = 328,57€ extra per daily ticket to cover the cost. Stop doing drugs.

Edited by Joshua Homme
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, corndog said:

Curious if we know what the typical budget is for Mad Cool. Reaching 23M doesnt really say much to us unless we know what it's like in comparison. Or at least what the budget was before this latest act so that we know how much the last act is.

The budget for 2018 was 21.2 million euros

https://www.withguitars.com/mad-cool-festival-tickets-now-available

4 minutes ago, corndog said:

Curious if we know what the typical budget is for Mad Cool. Reaching 23M doesnt really say much to us unless we know what it's like in comparison. Or at least what the budget was before this latest act so that we know how much the last act is.

24M for 2023.

https://www.elmundo.es/cultura/musica/2023/07/06/64a709abe85ece90648b457f.html

The "increase" may not be compared to last year but to their initial 2023 budget. A bit weird though knowing it's now a 4 day festival.

22M income with 3M in profits in 2018 (actual results, not budget)

https://www.infoempresas.pro/empresa/mad-cool-festival-sl/

12 minutes ago, corndog said:

Generally, the annual budget is around 20 million

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2020-02-10---mad-cool-asks-the-city-council-and-community-of-madrid-for-a-grant-of-16-million-euros-.BkXEBrE0f8.html

2 hours ago, skillfulperson said:

It's a shame that this echoes almost like for like my experience in 2018. Horrendous queues, sound bleed problems, and generally poor organisation completely railroaded my holiday it's a shame because the lineup is always decent but organisation history seems to be poor

I was there in 2018 too, and I'm still pissed about the opening day queue that meant I wasn't able to see Gang of Youths until their set was nearly over. (Actually, I think Gang of Youths were pissed too, since they brought it up when they played Mad Cool in 2022). Plus, I chose the Massive Attack tent during the epic Massive Attack/Franz Ferdinand clash, and so I got to stand there for about an hour until they finally communicated that Massive Attack had decided not to play because of sound bleed. But even with all that crap, it was still one of the best festival lineups I've ever encountered, and I had an absolute blast that year.

19 hours ago, corndog said:

23M feels low if a previous year was over 20M for a 3 day fest. That along with inflation and rising tour costs. Numbers seem off unless the lineup is indeed "weaker" this year with the stretch to 4 days. 

Haven't they reduced the number of stages? If a lot of the problems last year were due to overcrowding, then spreading the acts across four days, with less stages, might make a difference, without adding much to the cost.

1 hour ago, MK1 said:

Though he is expected to tour Europe in the summer not much rumors going around....

If there‘s no rumors, why can he expected to be around? I was always wondering where the initial idea he‘s a name for Europe in 2024 came from. Any insiders or credible sources?

It always sounded like people using „common sense“ as 2020 was cancelled and he toured SA and AUS.

14 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

If there‘s no rumors, why can he expected to be around? I was always wondering where the initial idea he‘s a name for Europe in 2024 came from. Any insiders or credible sources?

It always sounded like people using „common sense“ as 2020 was cancelled and he toured SA and AUS.

https://maccaboard.paulmccartney.com/category/15/rock-show

Not much going on....

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 7:58 PM, prefab said:

Plus, I chose the Massive Attack tent during the epic Massive Attack/Franz Ferdinand clash, and so I got to stand there for about an hour until they finally communicated that Massive Attack had decided not to play because of sound bleed.

I only went on that day, but I that was quite something. Was already eventful enough when, after one song, Alex Kapranos said he despised the split VIP section and encouraged people to jump into it, but then also recall being exhausted on a train back to the city centre with these Scottish guys going "f**k Massive Attack for not playing, bunch of w*nkers" for pretty much the whole way.

Guess I know which way they picked.

• Like 1