2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

posting this on an alt... not trying to inflame, serious question

was 100 people on a festival forum all trying for crazyfool in the 2022 resale fair?

it was noble, yes. a great act of community– undoubtedly

but was it fair? was it moral? is that not precisely the kind of tag-team strategy that would take a ticket out the hands of our imaginary 50 year old solo attendee?

spreadsheet assistance on here has existed for many years. @BBC7BBCHEAVEN has it right - others have now nicked an advantage which efests long prided itself in. dozens + dozens of strangers helping one person out is not the dictionary definition of a level playing field. its a way to get a leg up , just like any other... whats good for the goose is good for the gander

until you face that hard truth with clear eyes I do not really think a lot of the grousing today about discord/reddit/whats app-using young people breaking big with syndicates and clever tech tricks stands up

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, beforreal said:

was 100 people on a festival forum all trying for crazyfool in the 2022 resale fair?

but was it fair? was it moral? is that not precisely the kind of tag-team strategy that would take a ticket out the hands of our imaginary 50 year old solo attendee?

spreadsheet assistance on here has existed for many years. @BBC7BBCHEAVEN has it right - others have now nicked an advantage which efests long prided itself in. dozens + dozens of strangers helping one person out is not the dictionary definition of a level playing field. its a way to get a leg up , just like any other... whats good for the goose is good for the gander

until you face that hard truth with clear eyes I do not really think a lot of the grousing today about discord/reddit/whats app-using young people breaking big with syndicates and clever tech tricks stands up

In a discussion where pages of people have debated the issue of groups helping each other, was it fair for you to single out an individual who (from his posts here) spends a vast amount of his free time helping others enjoy the festival? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Nick_ said:

That kinda reads like "anything within *my* abilities is fair game, but anything I can't do isn't" 😉

It does a bit, but organising friends to try for you is more within everyone's ability than understanding the tech behind how the system works and how to use that to your advantage.

9 minutes ago, beforreal said:

I don't think it's about criticism so much as that you're right - that approach has gone mainstream now. Which yes, has the side effect of making it harder for those that have been doing it for years through this forum, which some are miffed about. But there's a larger point about how that influences the ticket buying process as a whole, because it's possible we've hit a sort of critical mass where enough people are doing it that more and more people will do it, and it'll end up being the only viable way to get tickets.

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

In a discussion where pages of people have debated the issue of groups helping each other, was it fair for you to single out an individual who (from his posts here) spends a vast amount of his free time helping others enjoy the festival? 

except I said it was a lovely thing? this isnt about cf

in a vacuum, things are either fair or theyre not. claiming degrees to it defeats the point many are making about a completely honest system. you don;t have an answer and needed to pivot instead which makes my point for me I'm afraid

Just now, Dave_c said:

It does a bit, but organising friends to try for you is more within everyone's ability than understanding the tech behind how the system works and how to use that to your advantage.

I disagree hugely on that. The tech is basic and can be taught fairly easily. The skills to organise large groups of people are rarer.

• Upvote 1

SEE should minimise the tech exploits each year as much as possible, but beyond that I reckon it's fair game.  Unless you sit there with a single browser on a single laptop counting down 20 seconds til the next refresh, we've all gamed the system to some degree.

I'm firmly in the 'system isn't perfect but it at least it (crudely) rewards effort" gang.  I think it's better the festival is filled with people who make an effort to get there.  Everything about Glastonbury is about making effort, starting with the long walk from the car-parks.

You can sit on a high horse and refuse to join up with at least a couple of other groups, if you wish.  On the other hand you've got a few months now to find some people, find a decent auto-fill tool,  and maybe install an extra browser or two to increase your chances.   You'd probably have much better odds with that than in a lottery.

• Like 4

Just now, DeanoL said:

I disagree hugely on that. The tech is basic and can be taught fairly easily. The skills to organise large groups of people are rarer.

It may be, but most people wouldn't even think of trying to understand it because they would assume it is too complicated so they will inevitably go to getting helpers as a default.

Just now, beforreal said:

except I said it was a lovely thing? this isnt about cf

in a vacuum, things are either fair or theyre not. claiming degrees to it defeats the point many are making about a completely honest system. you don;t have an answer and needed to pivot instead which makes my point for me I'm afraid

Ha ha, you made an alt account and specifically (where entirely irrelevant to your point) singled out one person. 

So much for not inflaming eh? 😂

• Downvote 1

Just now, clarkete said:

Ha ha, you made an alt account and specifically (where entirely irrelevant to your point) singled out one person. 

So much for not inflaming eh? 😂

if there are other examples of mass ploughing in to assist one person, righteous as they may be, you just let us know

otherwise I think you know the base point is salient. dropping cry laughing emojis just makes you look a bit dim

2 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

It may be, but most people wouldn't even think of trying to understand it because they would assume it is too complicated so they will inevitably go to getting helpers as a default.

Well I think most people just end up being in the group of someone else who is co-ordinating, which is why they instantly go to "it's easy". Try being the person coordinating the groups for 24+ people and I promise after the first week you'll be going "so how complicated is this DNS stuff then?" 😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, beforreal said:

someone forgets all the others on that spreadsheet with me and the help that got divided up amongst the whole team , yes I got help initially and possibly a few more than others but then the entire spreadsheet of efest members who had been on that sheet for months and months got sorted remembering also that spreadsheet was open until 1 week before the sale and everyone had the opportunity to join it .... why the Alt ? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think in the end, it reflects the changing demographic of the festivals, and the way that music festivals have become a rite of passage that a lot of young people do. The mood has changed since Covid , and perhaps it is starting to feel like it’s just not for me so much now. I’ve had a really really good run, but it’s probably the first time I won’t be heartbroken if I don’t get tickets in the resale. The dog eat dog attitude and the world of social media influencers is not the ethos for me, so maybe time to let go.. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Probably doesn't help that so many events are so hard to get tickets for now, Glastonbury is no longer the anomaly. It's every big tour. People know what to do because they've been practicing with tickets for Taylor Swift etc.

That is true. I must be getting jaded, I don’t feel it right to pay a service to secure I ticket  

saying that, I’m applying to volunteer this year, my kids are old enough now.. I only hear good things about it, so look forward to that giving me good vibes back again… if I can find a spot! 

Hi Everyone.

I've been lurking here a bit the last few weeks and I have decided to make an account, as the discussion is far more conducive and interesting than the Glasto sub-reddit.

Firstly, I think this was an exceptionally tough year to get tickets. I failed for the first time and have been lucky to attend 4 times myself, so it was a tough one to take but failure had to come one day! Only one group in our syndicate got tickets and I know far less people who got a ticket this year - it seems almost everyone I knew got a ticket for the 2023 festival!

To hear people played around with the ip address/host file in order to get a ticket is disappointing for those who failed to book their place on the farm. But I think most people would have done this if they were aware of it and the accountability lies with SeeTickets. Very unprofessional of them.

I was pretty gutted seeing as the page bugged out after I entered registrations but again, I've been 4 times and perhaps I was due some bad luck.

I don't know what the answer is to making the system 'fairer' but I'm almost 100% certain a ballot is not the right answer.

Babbling a bit but that's my two cents! I've resigned myself to the fact I'm not going - unless I get in via the resale or a volunteering gig. But there's no expectation of that happening so the pressure is off for another year!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

someone forgets all the others on that spreadsheet with me and the help that got divided up amongst the whole team , yes I got help initially and possibly a few more than others but then the entire spreadsheet of efest members who had been on that sheet for months and months got sorted remembering also that spreadsheet was open until 1 week before the sale and everyone had the opportunity to join it .... why the Alt ? 

Yeah, it certainly wasn't 100 people trying for just you.

I was one of those others on the resale sheet that year, and I also got sorted thanks to someone on this forum as a result of the sheet being created.

To say 100 people tried for just you isn't even close to the truth.

38 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Hmmm ... I'm not sure.  As I said earlier, I don't think I can think of *any* friends I could ask to help me on this with any likelihood of them doing it.  Not sure how old you are or what your relationship status is, but you may be underestimating how isolated older single/widowed/divorced men can be.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hoopy67 said:

I don't know what the answer is to making the system 'fairer' but I'm almost 100% certain a ballot is not the right answer.

Curious to why you think this wouldn't be fairer?

Most people are fairly open in that the reason they don't want a ballot is purely selfish - it lowers their chance of success if they can't use numbers to their advantage. There aren't many arguments that show a ballot with proper checks would be less fair

18 minutes ago, Nick_ said:

Hmmm ... I'm not sure.  As I said earlier, I don't think I can think of *any* friends I could ask to help me on this with any likelihood of them doing it.  Not sure how old you are or what your relationship status is, but you may be underestimating how isolated older single/widowed/divorced men can be.

Big hugs dude.

6 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Curious to why you think this wouldn't be fairer?

Most people are fairly open in that the reason they don't want a ballot is purely selfish - it lowers their chance of success if they can't use numbers to their advantage. There aren't many arguments that show a ballot with proper checks would be less fair

So are you thinking one person one ticket. Or one group and you can all enter. 

Just now, fred quimby said:

So are you thinking one person one ticket. Or one group and you can all enter. 

Already discussed over the last few pages but for me, groups of six pre-registered together, closing the week before or something in case of changes.

Add a requirement of pre-paying your deposits so your reg is valid on the day to minimise fake accounts (maybe even blocking the full balance to be honest)

On the day/week, reg numbers are drawn and emailed a link to purchase/confirm valid for 24hours for those six specific registrations(just like this year's resale), back into the pot if not.

Registrations are drawn until all places have been confirmed. 

I have been to festival 11 times now so not short of luck, but the system is not fair and in my opinion should change. I realise most people prefer the unbalanced side of it so they can take advantage, but I find it annoying to see so many new people attempting to attend each year be disappointed because they're not aware they should be roping in 20+ people to help them.

4 hours ago, incident said:

Honestly - it'd be easy and definitive for them to identify those orders. Which server was used will be a core part of the transaction data.

But in doing so they'd create a lot of headlines they don't want, especially as despite (or perhaps, due to) being caught bang to rights people would kick up a huge storm about it, so it's very unlikely to happen.

It depends. If it was just publicly available knowledge that was used (albeit needing some technical expertise to use it) then they could not/would not cancel them for the reasons above. If on the other hand it was inside knowledge, i.e. someone at Seetickets took some money to either set up the servers that way, and/or told someone on the outside the IP addresses of the servers that they should use in return for money and those people then charged wannabe festival goers to get them tickets using the inside knowledge then that would be fraud, and they should cancel the tickets