Green Man 2024

bexj

A little bit of a curveball but I wonder if New Order could be a possibility - they've two regional gigs scheduled a few days after (and almost certainly doing All Points East given the dates) and might fit in a sort of Kraftwerk placement way.

They'd be the biggest band on the bill but did Blue Dot, same capacity as GM, a couple of years ago so aren't opposed to doing these mid sized festivals.

Edited by jannybruck

43 minutes ago, Long Season said:

Would it be worth considering Belle and Sebastian on the line up somewhere.. would be a good alternative for the thursday headline slot if it isn't Jesus & Mary Chain. No dates in the UK as of yet except one Glasgow show at the start of Aug so theoretically free

I don't think so, for the reason that they're billing that as this year's Bowlie Weekender so it seems like a special one-off.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

A little bit of a curveball but I wonder if New Order could be a possibility - they've two regional gigs scheduled a few days after (and almost certainly doing All Points East given the dates) and might fit in a sort of Kraftwerk placement way.

They'd be the biggest band on the bill but did Blue Dot, same capacity as GM, a couple of years ago so aren't opposed to doing these mid sized festivals.

Wonder if playing Cardiff so close to this rules them out, would love them though, I was tempted by the Cardiff Bay show.

4 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Far more than that, I'd say anyone in a bigger font. They barely even shared notable acts in 2021.

Ah ok. Was specifically interested in Big Special. Went ahead and got tickets to see them in Brum this morning just to be safe.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

The Smile at Pukkelpop on the Sunday of Green Man weekend.  Also at Lowlands that weekend.  Leaves one day open for them at Green Man - maybe the Friday? 

I really hope this is the case but I have a gut feeling Glastonbury will be the only uk festival they do. It feels more likely to me that the band will just take a short rest between Warsaw on Wednesday and Lowlands on Saturday, but I guess Netherlands isn't that far from UK.

Hope I'm wrong though, they're top of my list for potential headliners.

Unless Big Thief are an exclusive to the PJ Harvey gig at gunnersbury park on the Sunday, I am surprised to not really see them prominent in the conversation for headliner for Friday or Saturday. They're big enough now and a very greenman act. 

A glance at their five European dates this summer also suggests a number of gaps waiting to be filled (five days between their Oslo and Belgium gigs and four between Belgium and London). The greenman shaped hole is very much there. 

2 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

Unless Big Thief are an exclusive to the PJ Harvey gig at gunnersbury park on the Sunday, I am surprised to not really see them prominent in the conversation for headliner for Friday or Saturday. They're big enough now and a very greenman act. 

A glance at their five European dates this summer also suggests a number of gaps waiting to be filled (five days between their Oslo and Belgium gigs and four between Belgium and London). The greenman shaped hole is very much there. 

Yeah I think they’re quite likely now it’s just people (like me) assumed they’d be at EOTR given they were booked to do the 2020 edition and haven’t been back yet. 

20 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

If I had to predict, and for some reason I'm compelled to, I'd say:

MOUNTAIN HEADLINE: The Smile, Gossip, Big Thief, Jesus & Mary Chain

MOUNTAIN SUBS: Decemberists, Cat Power Sings Dylan, Ezra Collective

FAR OUT HEADLINE: Yard Act, Osees, Blonde Redhead

LATE FAR OUT HEADLINE: Soulwax/2manydjs (in the Bicep/Confidence Man slot), James Holden, Helena Hauff

ALSO: Grandaddy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Nadine Shah, Superchunk, BC Camplight, Wednesday, Blondshell, The Mary Wallopers, Pigs x7, Los Bitchos, Crack Cloud, Bombino, Lonnie Holley, Ibibio Sound Machine, Protomartyr, Porridge Radio, Vagabon, Courting, Pip Blom, CVC (Walled Garden Thursday headliner), Lynks, bar italia, bdrmm, Heavenly (this year's surprise reformed band), Rozi Plain, Muireann Bradley, Personal Trainer, Divorce, Antony Szmierek, Panic Shack, Opus Kink, O., Hotline TNT, Shida Shahabi, Kara Jackson, Picture Parlour, Fabiana Palladino, MAN/WOMAN/CHAINSAW

Gossip would be a weird/bad choice but maybe I could see it… feel like it won’t be them though personally. 

Other stuff all looks likely, although I think/hope Beth Gibbons might pop up at Green Man. Holden did last year so won’t be there again obvs.

21 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

If I had to predict, and for some reason I'm compelled to, I'd say:

MOUNTAIN HEADLINE: The Smile, Gossip, Big Thief, Jesus & Mary Chain

MOUNTAIN SUBS: Decemberists, Cat Power Sings Dylan, Ezra Collective

FAR OUT HEADLINE: Yard Act, Osees, Blonde Redhead

LATE FAR OUT HEADLINE: Soulwax/2manydjs (in the Bicep/Confidence Man slot), James Holden, Helena Hauff

ALSO: Grandaddy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Nadine Shah, Superchunk, BC Camplight, Wednesday, Blondshell, The Mary Wallopers, Pigs x7, Los Bitchos, Crack Cloud, Bombino, Lonnie Holley, Ibibio Sound Machine, Protomartyr, Porridge Radio, Vagabon, Courting, Pip Blom, CVC (Walled Garden Thursday headliner), Lynks, bar italia, bdrmm, Heavenly (this year's surprise reformed band), Rozi Plain, Muireann Bradley, Personal Trainer, Divorce, Antony Szmierek, Panic Shack, Opus Kink, O., Hotline TNT, Shida Shahabi, Kara Jackson, Picture Parlour, Fabiana Palladino, MAN/WOMAN/CHAINSAW

I could really see Gossip as a Far Out Headliner but I don't think their reunion quite has the hype to have them headline the Mountain Stage. Potentially the Amyl & The Sniffers Sunday sub-slot? That was flippin' excellent. I absolutely love 'em so would love to see them somewhere. 

Would also love Soulwax to fill that late Far Out slot. I haven't seen them for a decade. TSHA, Barry Can't Swim or Romy would also be amazing. 

22 minutes ago, Sebwax said:

I could really see Gossip as a Far Out Headliner but I don't think their reunion quite has the hype to have them headline the Mountain Stage. Potentially the Amyl & The Sniffers Sunday sub-slot? That was flippin' excellent. I absolutely love 'em so would love to see them somewhere. 

I don't know about that level, they still have name value, are headlining 6 Music Festival and aren't (so far) at Reading & Leeds so will presumably be playing somewhere else around APE. But I do think (and I know this is self-defeating for having just done a prediction) there'll be a surprise as Mountain headliner or sub we might not necessarily see coming.

14 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I don't know about that level, they still have name value, are headlining 6 Music Festival and aren't (so far) at Reading & Leeds so will presumably be playing somewhere else around APE. But I do think (and I know this is self-defeating for having just done a prediction) there'll be a surprise as Mountain headliner or sub we might not necessarily see coming.

They're modestly placed on the Death Cab APE bill though? However, I am fairly hopeless at predicting the Green Man line-up.

Maribou State? Just been announced to headline Stowaway festival (same weekend). Headlined Far Out back in 2019.... have they done enough for a bump up? 

Initially thought they'd make a great FO headliner but after checking their placement in 2019 ive assumed this is highly unlikely.... imagine after headlining the second stage its either main stage or nothing!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Maribou State? Just been announced to headline Stowaway festival (same weekend). Headlined Far Out back in 2019.... have they done enough for a bump up? 

Initially thought they'd make a great FO headliner but after checking their placement in 2019 ive assumed this is highly unlikely.... imagine after headlining the second stage its either main stage or nothing!

I don't think they've done enough since to get bumped up, feels like they were really really popular that year, especially with that King Krule song. I had that stuck in my head all year. 

3 hours ago, OddRon said:

I don't think they've done enough since to get bumped up, feels like they were really really popular that year, especially with that King Krule song. I had that stuck in my head all year. 

Are you thinking of Mount Kimbie? Mount Kimbie did the same slot the year before (2018).  Could potentially see either cropping up this year (or even Floating Points again) but maybe they’ll go for someone different for this year. 

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Are you thinking of Mount Kimbie? Mount Kimbie did the same slot the year before (2018).  Could potentially see either cropping up this year (or even Floating Points again) but maybe they’ll go for someone different for this year. 

Hahaha yes apologies! 

13 minutes ago, CANTON93 said:

Really thought we'd get a "3 weeks to go" update today. Maybe the lineup will be announced even later this year.

Wouldn't be announced now at all. Last year the date was confirmed on 17th February and even that seemed very early to most people.

I do wonder whether they'd want to do the line-up announcement on a Friday morning, though, it's quite busy music-wise.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
clarity

Really hoping for:

Big Thief or PJ Harvey (based on the gig they've got in London). Been so confident in Big Thief playing I've got the other half into them.

Porij were brilliant in 22

Ibibio Sound Machine

Bess Atwell (also played in 22)

Bill Ryder-Jones (playing EOTR though)

Random ones:

Can't imagine the Bad Seeds would ever play but wonder if they could ever get Nick Cave Solo 

Manics are doing a few gigs this summer...wonder if they'll ever do it

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

Really hoping for:

Big Thief or PJ Harvey (based on the gig they've got in London). Been so confident in Big Thief playing I've got the other half into them.

Porij were brilliant in 22

Ibibio Sound Machine

Bess Atwell (also played in 22)

Bill Ryder-Jones (playing EOTR though)

Random ones:

Can't imagine the Bad Seeds would ever play but wonder if they could ever get Nick Cave Solo 

Manics are doing a few gigs this summer...wonder if they'll ever do it

I don’t want to be the guy that is constantly looking for ambiguous clues on social media but BRJ has liked a lot of green man’s recent posts 

• Upvote 1