Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

16 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The Glastonbury night shifts aren't that bad. With the shift leader times of 9-5am I barely even think of it as a night shift. You can be walking off by 4:40 if you're lucky and the morning shift arrives on time to relieve you.

One of the good things about working in Sticklinch is getting the lift back. Replacement usually arrives slightly early cos they got a lift down, quick handover (there's never much to handover) then jump in the shuttle back.

Can be in bed by 5 on a good day.

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I was on Stiklinch twice last year, and I tell you what - that canopy was a godsend in the Thursday sunshine/ heat!

I was actually stickleball. No canopies there, just a crappy tatted gazebo that slowly fell apart as the week went on and eventually gave up when a gust of wind blew it into the security campsite.

Was a godsend during that rain on Wednesday though

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was actually stickleball. No canopies there, just a crappy tatted gazebo that slowly fell apart as the week went on and eventually gave up when a gust of wind blew it into the security campsite.

Was a godsend during that rain on Wednesday though

There was rain on Wednesday? 

My memory doesn't include this! A Monday night downpour but no rain on Wednesday was recorded in my head 🙂 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

My memory doesn't include this! A Monday night downpour but no rain on Wednesday was recorded in my head 🙂 

Yeah.

A fairly substantial but isolated downpour, lasting for ~20 minutes or so.

I want to say about 10:30 or 11am ish - it started pretty much the moment I'd finished setting up my tent, so for me it was perfect timing to dive inside and read the programme.

15 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah.

I want to say about 10:30 or 11am ish - it started pretty much the moment I'd finished setting up my tent, so for me it was perfect timing to dive inside and read the programme.

Ah, I think I was asleep in the van - had an afternoon shift on opening day (and a skin full on tuesday night haha) 

18 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The Glastonbury night shifts aren't that bad. With the shift leader times of 9-5am I barely even think of it as a night shift. You can be walking off by 4:40 if you're lucky and the morning shift arrives on time to relieve you.

To be fair, I'm rarely in bed before 4 am most days, so the night shift doesn't bother me.  Getting up for the morning shift though, especially as I'm usually part of the shift lead team as well, so starting at 0445...  I've been lucky a couple of years and had A shift though, so got that out of the way on Wednesday.

20 hours ago, balti-pie said:

If you cancel it within 14 days, you'll get it all back - and if you cancel before early may i think you'll get everything but £15 back. That might be adjusted to £20 or £25 this year perhaps, but think of it as a charitable donation to Oxfam for being insurance 👍

My understanding is you only get your deposit back if you cancel 8 weeks before arrival. 8 weeks is just before the resale date so if you get a resale ticket you cant get the deposit back.

Just now, rosssss224 said:

My understanding is you only get your deposit back if you cancel 8 weeks before arrival. 8 weeks is just before the resale date so if you get a resale ticket you cant get the deposit back.

8 weeks is April 29th.

While a resale date hasn't been confirmed yet, it's unlikely to be that late.

35 minutes ago, rosssss224 said:

resale is always before the cancellation deadline

2019:  25 April (Thu):  Coach Resale
28 April (Sun):  General Resale

2022:  24 March (Thu):  Coach Resale
27 March (Sun):  General Resale

2023:  20 April (Thu):  Coach Resale
23 April (Sun):  General Resale

On 1/30/2024 at 1:55 PM, philipsteak said:

Hello from Sticklinch Gate! My new home it would seem.

Yep - that was our spot in 2022 and exactly what I had in mind with my description. Saturday overnight - one attempted fence jumper straight into the security compound was the only thing that happened all night! 

5 hours ago, upstream said:

I'm a steward supervisor up at the Park, there are 12 of us supervisors and we look after 300 volunteers all based at the park. I have been based up at the Park since it started in 2007 and a supervisor since 2010. Most of our teams work on 3 x 8 hours shifts ( there are a few on 4 x6 and no deposits are taken  to get a place and every position is done on a word of mouth basis. there are about 16 teams and each team has a leader who will find their own team members.

That's my understanding of basically all the stewarding roles within the festival site itself. Quite difficult to break into unless you know someone who knows someone.

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Yep, only time it rained the whole festival was when I was queuing to get in - got drenched!

5 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

11am tomorrow for Oxfam non priority! Just had an email with the below…

Volunteer stewarding places open at 11am tomorrow! We are really excited to welcome lots of volunteers to the Oxfamily this year and hope you are one of them! 

This email prompted me to sign up in priority to Shambala! 

There are still Glastonbury places btw so it hasn't sold out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, duke88 said:
5 hours ago, stuie said:

Yep, only time it rained the whole festival was when I was queuing to get in - got drenched!

Deffo not monday - it was tuesday night about 10pm... shorts and t-shirt and miles from the tent.  Funny how we all remember it different... or the site is so big it rained different places on different days !

8 hours ago, incident said:

Yeah.

Just enough for luggage trolley wheel collapsing carnage on Muddy Lane when the gates opened if memory serves...