19 minutes ago, polnico said:

Arcade Fire in Ireland on sunday. Could they come and save the friday (for my taste) a bit ?!! Would be really nice.

I agree! If co-headliners were still on the table I'd like Arcade Fire on Friday and Lana del Rey on Saturday. But we might be stuck with Sum 41 and Khruangbin instead. 

• Upvote 1

It seems clear we gonna stay with Sum 41 sub. If they add another name as sub, act like Yungblud will play at the same spot as 2022 which is impossible. His success has continued to grow since then and also play as sub for Billie Eilish as Pukkelpop last Summer. About Khruangbin on Saturday, well... seems weird but I got lost to have another big act, especially now the day is soldout. We have all our biggest bands on every day. And Lana Del Rey won't play any shows in Belgium as she's not even at Pukkelpop. Really sad (to have fresh big names - because I'm not a fan of her).

17 minutes ago, Archi said:

It seems clear we gonna stay with Sum 41 sub. If they add another name as sub, act like Yungblud will play at the same spot as 2022 which is impossible. His success has continued to grow since then and also play as sub for Billie Eilish as Pukkelpop last Summer. About Khruangbin on Saturday, well... seems weird but I got lost to have another big act, especially now the day is soldout. We have all our biggest bands on every day. And Lana Del Rey won't play any shows in Belgium as she's not even at Pukkelpop. Really sad (to have fresh big names - because I'm not a fan of her).

Yes, agree about Khruangbin. I also find Sum 41 a weak co/sub. I mean, they are fun but to me they don´t have co-headliner status at this kind of festival ; at least given that they always played in the early afternoon previous Werchter editions. 

12 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Yes, agree about Khruangbin. I also find Sum 41 a weak co/sub. I mean, they are fun but to me they don´t have co-headliner status at this kind of festival ; at least given that they always played in the early afternoon previous Werchter editions. 

Is there an element of 'bump them up for their farewell tour' to the Sum 41 discussion too. Normally, they wouldn't be sub but as their last time over here, give them a good send off?

1 minute ago, Reece1617 said:

Is there an element of 'bump them up for their farewell tour' to the Sum 41 discussion too. Normally, they wouldn't be sub but as their last time over here, give them a good send off?

Probably the case, but normally Werchter don´t bump a band 4 spots up just because they are doing a farewell tour. At least I haven´t experienced any similar situation since I started going to the festival in 2008. Anyway, hopefully there are nice bands in the Barn instead. 

3 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Probably the case, but normally Werchter don´t bump a band 4 spots up just because they are doing a farewell tour. At least I haven´t experienced any similar situation since I started going to the festival in 2008. Anyway, hopefully there are nice bands in the Barn instead. 

This year will be my first time at Rock Werchter. Happy to be proven wrong and get another act in before Maneskin as Friday is definitely the lightest day for us so far.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Jorja Smith, Skrillex, The Smile, Soulwax, Rise Against, Raye, Denzel Curry, Sigma, The Vaccines, Overmono, Indira Paganotto, Merol added to Pukkelpop. So I guess they are out for Werchter, sadly. 

On 2/5/2024 at 11:27 AM, Archi said:

All the headliners are already announced. And seems with have all our sub-headliners too.

Mann that's sad, but still 5 names to main stage and 6 for burn you think its only low key bands?

1 hour ago, maorizio said:

Mann that's sad, but still 5 names to main stage and 6 for burn you think its only low key bands?

The Main Stage is already full on Thursday with 7 names. On Friday, there are 2 names missing but I can't imagine big names because it would mean Yungblud would be very low. Only 1 missing on Saturday and it gonna be kinda an opener. And for Sunday, only 2 names but nothing big expect maybe a band below Royal Blood. That's it.

12 minutes ago, Archi said:

The Main Stage is already full on Thursday with 7 names. On Friday, there are 2 names missing but I can't imagine big names because it would mean Yungblud would be very low. Only 1 missing on Saturday and it gonna be kinda an opener. And for Sunday, only 2 names but nothing big expect maybe a band below Royal Blood. That's it.

Idles will be below Royal Blood

The Cat Empire, Jalen Ngonda, Bombay Bicycle Club, Johnny Marr, and Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats will play Rock Werchter on Thursday 4 July 2024. New for Friday 5 July are Tom Odell, Gary Clark Jr., Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Declan McKenna, and Kneecap. Brihang, Cian Ducrot, No Guidnce, and Noname have been added to the lineup for Saturday 6 July. Lastly, Pretenders, IDLES, Lawrence, and Matt Maltese will perform on Sunday 7 July. 

9 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

The Cat Empire, Jalen Ngonda, Bombay Bicycle Club, Johnny Marr, and Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats will play Rock Werchter on Thursday 4 July 2024. New for Friday 5 July are Tom Odell, Gary Clark Jr., Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Declan McKenna, and Kneecap. Brihang, Cian Ducrot, No Guidnce, and Noname have been added to the lineup for Saturday 6 July. Lastly, Pretenders, IDLES, Lawrence, and Matt Maltese will perform on Sunday 7 July. 

Some nice names for me with Johnny Marr, Frank Carter and Pretenders. Thursday looks really good now. 

Edit: the new poster looks like this: 

89c20d91272a4a25e737d3f2b5f977d0ed500dc8.jpg

Edited by ParanoidTourist

Still looks very weak overall. A few gems in the undercard but strange placements and weak top positions do not help.

Even the Saturday that started well feels just decent. Thursday tent names are quality though.

Still happy with a day around The Last Dinner Party, Janelle Monae, Avril Lavigne, Marc Rebillet and Dua Lipa but, yeah, overall, yet another proof that there are just too many festivals in Belgium nowadays.

Edited by VCF
  • Upvote 1

I know it's all subjective but that Thursday is possibly the best single day at any festival in the world for me this year. 

No real star power this year (yes they've got Foos and Dua but one has been touring nearly every year for the last 5 years* and one is playing every major festival) but I think it's a good line up overall, but not worth the money for me. Bands like Khruangbin and Sum 41 sub-headlining a £300 festival in 2024 is crazy to me. There's plenty of good bands touring next year too as well by the way, I think this year is showing the full extent of the problem of over-saturation of the market with so many festivals having to split too few bands and the rising costs of bands touring resulting in weaker line ups across the board. 

It's a shame but I think my days at major festivals like Werchter, Pinkpop, Glasto etc are probably starting to move behind me now unless something changes, far too expensive for what they can put together. Think I'll focus on genre specific festivals (ie Graspop, Nova Rock et al) or smaller festivals (Live Is Live, InMusic, APE) which curate smaller line ups but are a more affordable experience overall.

Of course I'm only one person in the wider scheme of things, it's great to see Werchter still selling out two days already and I imagine they'll continue to do so, I just appreciate I'm after something different now and the over-saturation I mentioned before means that there should still be plenty for me to do and see this year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

I know it's all subjective but that Thursday is possibly the best single day at any festival in the world for me this year. 

No real star power this year (yes they've got Foos and Dua but one has been touring nearly every year for the last 5 years* and one is playing every major festival) but I think it's a good line up overall, but not worth the money for me. Bands like Khruangbin and Sum 41 sub-headlining a £300 festival in 2024 is crazy to me. There's plenty of good bands touring next year too as well by the way, I think this year is showing the full extent of the problem of over-saturation of the market with so many festivals having to split too few bands and the rising costs of bands touring resulting in weaker line ups across the board. 

It's a shame but I think my days at major festivals like Werchter, Pinkpop, Glasto etc are probably starting to move behind me now unless something changes, far too expensive for what they can put together. Think I'll focus on genre specific festivals (ie Graspop, Nova Rock et al) or smaller festivals (Live Is Live, InMusic, APE) which curate smaller line ups but are a more affordable experience overall.

Of course I'm only one person in the wider scheme of things, it's great to see Werchter still selling out two days already and I imagine they'll continue to do so, I just appreciate I'm after something different now and the over-saturation I mentioned before means that there should still be plenty for me to do and see this year.

I agree with everything you said. Of course it´s Werchter and there will be many good things to see but I still feel very let down that they missed so many good acts this year: The Smile, Arcade Fire, Massive attack, Prodigy, the National, Lana del Rey, Pulp etc. My daughter really wants to see Måneskin and Dua Lipa so I will go to Werchter regardless for 2 days this year and then go to Way Out West as a bonus;) 

• Upvote 2

Even if I still think Sum 41 is too small to be sub at RW, I really like this Friday on Main Stage. Getting Bad Omens that day in the Barn is cool too. Expect The Beaches that don't really appeal me, I wanna see all the bands there so I could buy a ticket for that day soon enough.

On 1/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, birchtree29 said:

After their soundbleed issue in Mad Cool 2018, I don't think they will attend a big festival in Europe like werchter and mad cool who will very likely put a counter program against them. They want smaller festivals that only they can perform at the end as a headliner. They are headlining Meo Kalorama which is also a smaller festival compared to Rock Werchter.

I still remember walking away from Franz Ferdinand's set and the walk back to the train and train itself being soundtracked by some Scottish guys who were calling Massive Attack every insult you can think of for bailing due to that.

19 hours ago, gingerevans84 said:

Undercard is absolutely superb. Be spending alot of time in Klub C, and The Barn (if we can get in..)

Totally agree. I can see myself spending the first 2 days just staying in that area.

I can see the  across the tents quite frequently with what I read on this and the festileaks forum. A consensus of not a pull to the main stage but more of what we are saying about the undercard. A case of choose your acts and get there early( again).

2 hours ago, maorizio said:

So thats it, now rest of names are unknown bends of the slope right?

Zero chance of surprises

Nope, then there needs to be cancellations. That said though, The Slope has for me always had the most interesting bands and the best shows, but they're not very big no.