30 minutes ago, willsmith700 said:

Morning Festival Hive-Mind.

I have a quick query regarding Rock Werchter. In short, I wondered how this compares to Pinkpop! I'm 70% sure I'll be going to Pinkpop again, as it is a festival that ticks all the boxes, and is impossible to have a bad time regardless of who plays haha! No long queues, beer available with no waiting, easy access, fun and safe camping, great atmosphere, value for money, no rubbish or litter and no troublemakers, great mix of artists / sound quality / production, and generally a festival which feels so easy going. Hence why we return. 

That said, I have always been curious about Werchter and wondered how the things I love about Pinkpop compare? 😄 I'm semi-tempted to take the dive this year (Graspop also on my radar). 

Appreciate peoples thoughts! Sell Werchter to me :D!!!!

Hey there! 

It depends on what is most important to you about a festival is what I would argue could decide this argument. Having been to both, I would say Pinkpop is a better all-round festival for the reasons you have mentioned, with one of the biggest benefits being that it has a fantastic night life scene in the camp sites (still remember going to see The Dirty Daddies in Campsite B party zone in 2019, one of the greatest night life experiences I've ever had at any festival). I also find that Pinkpop is more manageable, with a great layout and other places to explore outside of the music, with fun installments, a much better food scene and some funky vintage stalls and things like that.

With that being said, Werchter still remains my favourite because no other festival in the world usually puts out line ups like they do! Even in the last couple of years, whilst the line ups have potentially been 'weaker' for Werchter standards, they were still up there with the best Europe had to offer. It is definitely the most organised and well ran festival I have ever been to as well, I remember in 2016, the only year I went which was affected by very bad rain, they had so many solutions to the problems the festival still ran like absolute clockwork and you hardly even noticed the conditions because they had so many woodchips down the ground was practically dry. The only 'downside' I would say for Werchter is that in the festival area itself, there is literally very little else to do beyond the music. So if you find yourself with a time when there isn't an act on that you're bothered about, all you can really do is sit around and wait for the next act you're bothered about to start. If you camp in The Hive, the Hive party zone is generally great on a night too but I would say Pinkpop's is better.

Overall, I think it just depends on what you want out of the festival, but if you're considering Werchter I would thoroughly recommend it if the line up ends up being to your taste! It doesn't usually sell out until much later so I would say you have some time to consider your options and seeing what both Werchter and Pinkpop bring to the party in terms of bands first and go from there. Hope this helps 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, willsmith700 said:

Yeah, it seems a pedantic point on the beer, but Download, Slamdunk and many British festivals you now spend more time waiting for beer than you do drinking it 🤣

Beer should be fast and cheap. That was how the monks intended it, and my god, it is how I want it!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hey there! A bit disappointed that there was no announcement today, so I hope for next monday or wednesday! So far still a silent reader in all kind of forums and thought that I could just post a few names for discussion.

Artists/Bands which seem likely to me (based on new music and who is (maybe ?) touring):

The Kooks (up for a german festival in August, so maybe to early on the road for Werchter) - Bombay Bicycle Club - Hozier - Kings Of Leon - Greta Van Fleet - The Hives - Soulwax - Tom Odell - Jungle  - Nothing But Thieves - LCD Soundsystem - The Blaze  - Phoenix - The Offspring - Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds - Goose - Fleet Foxes - Royal Blood

Nelly Furtado?

Gossip?

Sugarbabes?

Kylie Minogue?

My worst nightmare would be Angèle and Sam Smith as subs for Dua Lipa and Måneskin. Unfortunately, both are possible.

My Dream Line Up: The Prodigy - The Chemical Brothers - AIR - Parcels - Cannons - The Cure - Blur (but unlikely) - Queens Of The Stone Age (very unlikely, bet they will do Pukkelpop)

Edited by ali_rocks
  • Like 1

Just now, VolkIreland said:

I don't exactly remember what it was called. It was orange, in a jug and was delightful! 

Now I am curious. I will have to see if I can concoct a homemade brew and give it a name of its own.

I'll just call it The Northern Soul. It'll have bitter, coal dust, rye whiskey and a stick of rhubarb in it.

(And you'll bloody well like it, folks!)

• Upvote 1

In terms of announcements from festivals I'm interested in, this hasn't been a great week for me (with the exception of TOOL @Graspop which kinda balanced things out now that I think about it).

BUT

Tickets to see The Smile in March are now in the pocket so I'm going into the weekend happy. And I will keep hoping to see them for a second time next year, closing the Barn at RW.

4 hours ago, P.bintein said:

With the lack of big headliners, Di you think band like Nothing but Thieves, Royal Blood, Lenny Kravitz, Greta van Fleet can be the co headliner?

For Royal Blood, maybe it's the reason why they don't tour indoor in Europe for their tour.

Would be boring but possible. Lenny even headlined in 2015. 

Why Nothing but Thieves and Royal Blood are considered like boring act. They've the Muse vibe who sold stadium. 

If this band were born in 2000 they would have become really Big act and if Muse would have begin their carrer now I don't think they would have the story they have now. 

Now Muse will not played during some times. I think this band Can take their place. 

Edited by P.bintein

52 minutes ago, P.bintein said:

Why Nothing but Thieves and Royal Blood are considered like boring act. They've the Muse vibe who sold stadium. 

If this band were born in 2000 they would have become really Big act and if Muse would have begin their carrer now I don't think they would have the story they have now. 

Now Muse will not played during some times. I think this band Can take their place. 

Well they are good acts imo! But I dont think they are headliner material in the same way as Muse. 

6 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Tickets to see The Smile in March are now in the pocket so I'm going into the weekend happy. And I will keep hoping to see them for a second time next year, closing the Barn at RW.

Very nice, very nice.

4 hours ago, Gossard said:

Truer words were never spoken!

I am technically correct - the best kind of correct.

1 hour ago, P.bintein said:

So who are the new big headliners (between 20 ans 40 years old) apart from these bands and Maneskin that everybody waiting for ?

As in coming through to top bills? On a rock perspective, BMTH have made the step up in the past two years, in the UK at least. They seem to be definitely getting a slew of good spots across Europe too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

As in coming through to top bills? On a rock perspective, BMTH have made the step up in the past two years, in the UK at least. They seem to be definitely getting a slew of good spots across Europe too.

I don't think there are any. The days of those giants are gone. If anyone can come up with a band that will continue to sell out stadiums (60k+) years years after their first one, I will be amazed. Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift as solo artists will probably be the closest ones. Måneskin will not be one and neither will BMTH. That's why I think the major festivals need to change their model if they want to attract the same amount of people going forward. Glastonbury might last a little longer as the UK has quite a few bands that will sell out locally but not worldwide anymore (like Blur) but the others that need an international crowd to succeed, will struggle.

As for big ones "missing", I think there are enough to go around still, that haven't been there for a while (doesn't mean I want to see them, but they are still big). Green Day, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Coldplay, U2, Guns N' Roses, Depeche Mode++. I don't buy this, too big for festivals-thing. It's all about the money, and it must be more difficult to build a day on a rock festival around Dua Lipa rather than Coldplay or Springsteen.

My gut feel, is that more festivals will do like Glastonbury and dedicate one headliner to the more nostalgic audience, typically a Sunday or Thursday that won't sell out that easily. In that case you will have a long list of still active bands and artist that can live on the back catalogue (Elton John, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Queen+++). Locally the festivals generating most money are that ones that targets the young or the older audience individually. 

The divide between the younger and older audience will probably just continue to grow, which is natural as it has been like this always, but for festivals of this size that will become an issue. Historically it has been easier to cater for all by using more known bands that everyone knows, rather than hoping that the older audience will start enjoying the newer music. If that still works in the future will remain to see, but this years RW line-up will probably give us some hints...

2 hours ago, tmolvik said:

I don't think there are any. The days of those giants are gone. If anyone can come up with a band that will continue to sell out stadiums (60k+) years years after their first one, I will be amazed. Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift as solo artists will probably be the closest ones. Måneskin will not be one and neither will BMTH. That's why I think the major festivals need to change their model if they want to attract the same amount of people going forward. Glastonbury might last a little longer as the UK has quite a few bands that will sell out locally but not worldwide anymore (like Blur) but the others that need an international crowd to succeed, will struggle.

As for big ones "missing", I think there are enough to go around still, that haven't been there for a while (doesn't mean I want to see them, but they are still big). Green Day, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Coldplay, U2, Guns N' Roses, Depeche Mode++. I don't buy this, too big for festivals-thing. It's all about the money, and it must be more difficult to build a day on a rock festival around Dua Lipa rather than Coldplay or Springsteen.

My gut feel, is that more festivals will do like Glastonbury and dedicate one headliner to the more nostalgic audience, typically a Sunday or Thursday that won't sell out that easily. In that case you will have a long list of still active bands and artist that can live on the back catalogue (Elton John, Madonna, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Queen+++). Locally the festivals generating most money are that ones that targets the young or the older audience individually. 

The divide between the younger and older audience will probably just continue to grow, which is natural as it has been like this always, but for festivals of this size that will become an issue. Historically it has been easier to cater for all by using more known bands that everyone knows, rather than hoping that the older audience will start enjoying the newer music. If that still works in the future will remain to see, but this years RW line-up will probably give us some hints...

There will be another stadium rock act in the next five years. Even with the shift in genre appreciation, the love for the communal power of rock music on that level will survive.

It just may not be someone completely new. It was only ln the last two years that The Killers and Arctic Monkeys made the step-up to full stadium runs.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

14 hours ago, P.bintein said:

So who are the new big headliners (between 20 ans 40 years old) apart from these bands and Maneskin that everybody waiting for ?

There are a bunch of artists aged between 20 and 40 that are big enough to headline. 

1. The 1975
  2. Drake
  3. Lana Del Rey
  4. Fred Again
  5. Beyoncé
  6. Rihanna
  7. Kings of Leon
  8. Imagine Dragons
  9. Bad Bunny
  10. Bruno Mars
  11. Paramore
  12. Vampire Weekend