Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

On 6/28/2023 at 4:20 PM, frostypaw said:

Went for option 2 as some flags can be fun and it is rather atmospheric but I'd be up for a full ban tbh, there's a full ban on flares but we still get a few after all so probably works out about right.

Sadly having had this conversation in a number of places the attitude of flag w*nkers is utterly awful - proper "you come and try saying something to me mate" type threatening aggression which matches exactly what I've experienced in person when trying to ask folk to think of those behind them as their flag repeatedly hits us and gets in the way.

The Eavis's desperately need to revisit this. They need to look at how it's destroying the view for not just the folk on the Accessibility Platforms but throughout the fields - what's the point in the glorious natural Pyramid Field ampitheatre that made it such a phenomenal live music venue when you can't see squat unless you're right at the front? Elton's stage may as well have been completely empty and just videos playing on the screens. Not a scooby whether there was a stage show, never saw the stage.

Then they need to look at the attitude of flag w*nkers and ask themselves if this is what they want. Vile attitudes, completely contrary to the festivals Respect pledge and more.

The argument from some of the flag shaggers that it doesn't matter if your view is blocked because you can just see the screen anyway, is just so hideously mean spirited and condescending.

People should be able to see what they want on the stage and not what the director at the time has chosen for people to see.  I might want to watch the drummer for a bit, or the dancers, or see how the bassist and guitarist are interacting.

Flag shaggers remove that choice from everyone else.  And for what?  Their own narcissism?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sounds reasonable, but sucks for the folks who only go that one time and their view of every stage is full of adverts for supplements and for doing business in China.

Oh, it'd be properly grim for that one year. Not saying it's an ideal solution, just a possibility. 

22 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

A lot of people were carrying silly things like dolls on sticks or loo plunger.. Much better than flags 

I’ve got a weird collection of these modern all singing all dancing lightsabers, not sure why I’ve never thought of taking one before, but that’d be perfect to hold up for 2 minutes whilst mates find you. 

Could even have fun doing some spinning and tricks back at camp late night, a la poi spinning 🙈😂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

The argument from some of the flag shaggers that it doesn't matter if your view is blocked because you can just see the screen anyway, is just so hideously mean spirited and condescending.

People should be able to see what they want on the stage and not what the director at the time has chosen for people to see.  I might want to watch the drummer for a bit, or the dancers, or see how the bassist and guitarist are interacting.

Flag shaggers remove that choice from everyone else.  And for what?  Their own narcissism?

And for Elton John I often couldn’t see the screens for flags either…

31 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

And for Elton John I often couldn’t see the screens for flags either…

Same... and also to a lesser degree for the three previous acts. 

I was in a fairly central position a bit in front of the track and was surprised how effective they were at blocking everything.  

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Remember when Foxy Bingo stealth marketed a load of large inflatable  bingo balls into the Pyramid crowd during Barry Gibb?  Didn't hear much about that afterwards.

Oh that passed me by, even though I was definitely awake then 😉

11 hours ago, clarkete said:

I tend to trust your knowledge about many G related things, so please try not to get this  old unfit geezer so excited 😅

Unfortunately, this one is pure speculation based on what they could do / I'd do in their shoes rather than any knowledge.

3 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Efests doing themselves proud again, the flags are part of Glastonbury, absolutely telling that so many of you fun sponges want them banned, shameful stuff.

Shameful?  Bit dramatic 🤣

Did you look at the pictures from those in the actual crowd who couldn't see either acts or screens? 

Why should the fun of a couple of hundred flag bearers and advertisers override that of a hundred thousand in the crowd or the TV audience who are increasingly noticing the issue? 

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Shameful?  Bit dramatic 🤣

Did you look at the pictures from those in the actual crowd who couldn't see either acts or screens? 

Why should the fun of a couple of hundred flag bearers and advertisers override that of a hundred thousand in the crowd or the TV audience who are increasingly noticing the issue? 

The only people moaning about it are a few jobsworths on here. Of course the logical thing that do when you come back from the best place on earth is think, right, what can I get banned?

29 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

The only people moaning about it are a few jobsworths on here. Of course the logical thing that do when you come back from the best place on earth is think, right, what can I get banned?

Nonsense. If you walk through the back half of the Pyramid field, it's almost impossible not to overheard someone say words to the effect of "that f**king flag".

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Maybe step out of your echo chamber? 

I’m generally not too fussed about flags. Aside from many being boring, they add to the atmosphere more than they detract from it imo  

Having said that, this kind of sh*t needs to be banned immediately:

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.798c1cdc52283b4532f05519f31905c4.jpeg

Edited by kalifire

Honestly the flags debate is tired....  there will be flags they did a vote and the majority of people voted in favour. 

The way I see it if you dont like flags you have 3 options

1) continue to be made unhappy by flags

2) work on yourself to find a way to become tolerant of flags

3) stop going to Glastonbury choose a festival without flags. 

Option 2 works out best. But each to there own. 

No point harbouring any expectation  that flags or rules around them are gonna change 

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m generally not too fussed about flags. Aside from many being boring, they add to the atmosphere more than they detract from it imo  

Having said that, this kind of sh*t needs to be banned immediately:

IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.798c1cdc52283b4532f05519f31905c4.jpeg

We were talking to the pal of the guy with that flag and gave the whole thing a fairly fierce roasting.

I can possibly put it down to the intolerance of old age, but I found the flags far more intrusive this year.

I think the low point for me came at Woodsies watching Warpaint. Part way through a flag bearer arrived and stood directly between me and stage. Then they took the flag down, and left. Then they came back and re-erected the flag and pole. About 5 minutes later they decided to take the flag down again, but this time by lowering it to parallel to the ground and trying to dismantle it whilst causing 20/30 people to continually dodge the ends of the pole as it flailed around…..then they left. 

44 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Honestly the flags debate is tired....  there will be flags they did a vote and the majority of people voted in favour. 

The way I see it if you dont like flags you have 3 options

1) continue to be made unhappy by flags

2) work on yourself to find a way to become tolerant of flags

3) stop going to Glastonbury choose a festival without flags. 

Option 2 works out best. But each to there own. 

No point harbouring any expectation  that flags or rules around them are gonna change 

4) flag shaggers realise how selfish they are blocking the view of others and stop waving them around during sets so they can tell their mum they got on the telly.

Just now, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

4) flag shaggers realise how selfish they are blocking the view of others and stop waving them around during sets so they can tell their mum they got on the telly.

It's not gonna happen though is it???  

So you might as well accept it for what it is.

14 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

So you expect everyone else to change their behaviour, but not the flag shaggers?

Lol I dont expect anyone to change there behaviour that's your call

Im sure you have enough common sense to realise no amount of being miserable on the internet about flags is going to get rid of them.

So why bother continuing to moan about them ....

Edited by AVALON.G

5 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Lol I dont expect anyone to change there behaviour that's your ca

Im sure you have enough common sense to realise no amount of being miserable on the internet about flags is going to get rid of them.

So why bother continuing to moan about them ....

No amount of you being miserable on the inter

I find it baffling that in 2023 people don't understand that an internet forum is for discussion.

What you infer as misery is just talk.

You don't need to read the posts if you don't like the subject.

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I find it baffling that in 2023 people don't understand that an internet forum is for discussion.

What you infer as misery is just talk.

You don't need to read the posts if you don't like the subject.

So there was no problem with me suggesting that the solution  to your problem was you finding it within your self to accept there are flags at Glastonbury???

It seems like the only positive solution to your problem