Poll: Should they ban flags?

maelzoid

Should they ban flags>?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags?

• Yes - While an act is performing, flags should be banned from the field.
    • No - I don't care if people cannot see an act, it adds to the vibes.

This poll is closed to new votes

Should 100% be banned from the pit - maybe only allowed between acts (as they are handy for finding people) Maybe limit size and qty per flagpole as people with 2-3 flags on one pole are taking the piss.

Also no advertising flags - Radio-X I'm pointing at you f*ckers...

I chose no, I love them, and across the big fields the more flags, nicely spaced out, the better.

But they should be banned from the pits at stages that have separate ‘manageable’ pits. The dense mass of them right at the front must ruin the experience for anybody towards the front and centre. 

Same poll conducted by the festival few years back. 

I'd be interested to know who thinks it a good idea if the festival HQ actively discourage flags from going further than the sound desk (e.g. mentioning on the screens/ guide books/ website). 

There is a compromise to banning which I think people are  wary of. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

There should be an option to not have them in front of sound desk/ the pit as that’s what the main suggestion has been

I agree

any way of resetting the poll and adding this option @maelzoid I think that both the flag hater and flag lover camps would be willing to compromise. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

this

And before people vote they should have a look at this from next to the disabled viewing platform. Where flags in the pit created a wall you could not see through. 

It is not fair people without the physical (or mental) ability to get down the front cannot see. 

C96EC670-36D4-47FF-9062-18CCEEB2555B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

There should be an option to not have them in front of sound desk/ the pit as that’s what the main suggestion has been

Yep I absolutely hate flags myself but can see how they are useful for large groups to find each other etc but I do think that they should be only behind the sound desk or put down once an act has started. 

I actually think implementing either of these rules would end up drastically reducing the number of them in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Should 100% be banned from the pit - maybe only allowed between acts (as they are handy for finding people) Maybe limit size and qty per flagpole as people with 2-3 flags on one pole are taking the piss.

Also no advertising flags - Radio-X I'm pointing at you f*ckers...

This.

It's exciting seeing the flags and adds to the aura of the occasion.

What doesn't is Radio X all standing in a line and spoiling everyone's view, and for what? Absolute nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I agree

any way of resetting the poll and adding this option @maelzoid I think that both the flag hater and flag lover camps would be willing to compromise. 🙂 

I'll try... but not sure what will happen. Maybe all the votes vanish...? Let's see....

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I'll try... but not sure what will happen. Maybe all the votes vanish...? Let's see....

I dunno what will happen, but I’d like to change my vote with the 3rd option anyway, and not sure I can change my vote after, without it resetting. 

If they do disappear folks can just re vote or change their vote, it’s not really an issue in a little online straw poll. 

Doesn't look like editing is possible...

I did consider this option, but wanted to keep it concise. Also, I think we all agree that we don't mean an outright ban on flags across the festival. Fine in campsites. Fine walking around. Fine in between acts. The only issue is when they block the view of the stage, so I suggest that the 'ban' vote just means some suggestion that if your flag affects those behind you, it should come down. I think this can still happen with flags outside the pit / or behind the desk, and differs on a stage by stage basis.

5 minutes ago, Bobs said:

This.

It's exciting seeing the flags and adds to the aura of the occasion.

What doesn't is Radio X all standing in a line and spoiling everyone's view, and for what? Absolute nonsense. 

I'm guessing, but I assume anyone willing to take an XFM flag and wave it on TV is getting a ticket / glamping or some other sweetener. Who'd be bringing that when you could have the Ainsley one...?

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I did consider this option, but wanted to keep it concise. Also, I think we all agree that we don't mean an outright ban on flags across the festival. Fine in campsites. Fine walking around. Fine in between acts. The only issue is when they block the view of the stage, so I suggest that the 'ban' vote just means some suggestion that if your flag affects those behind you, it should come down. I think this can still happen with flags outside the pit / or behind the desk, and differs on a stage by stage basis.

I think people will vote no though as they think - as is stated - this is a ban on all flags whilst an act is on. Most just want the ones at the front blocking the view to stop. 

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I'm guessing, but I assume anyone willing to take an XFM flag and wave it on TV is getting a ticket / glamping or some other sweetener. Who'd be bringing that when you could have the Ainsley one...?

I wasn't there, but had to turn Radio X off whilst driving over the weekend.

It was smarmy beyond belief, i reckon in 30 minutes, they mentioned the flags at least 3-4 times. Wouldn't surprise me if Radio X got a set of tickets, and gave them to crew with the caveat that the carry a flag round all weekend. 

Saw lots and lots of advertising flags all over on the TV. If there's ever a reason to ban flags, that would be it!

20 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Same poll conducted by the festival few years back. 

I'd be interested to know who thinks it a good idea if the festival HQ actively discourage flags from going further than the sound desk (e.g. mentioning on the screens/ guide books/ website). 

There is a compromise to banning which I think people are  wary of. 

Yes, I'd always assume a 'ban' would actually be a 'polite ask'. Part of the general guidelines with the occasional direction from security. Don't imagine anyone getting bounced because of it. They wouldn't disappear overnight, but would become more socially unacceptable as time went on. Maybe some publicity from the restricted mobility platform to add to the guilts...

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

i had a quick look to see if I could do it as a mod but cant see a function ( ive returned to this today to give iggy a hand as its hard keeping up with the site at the moment )