Elton bloody John 🚀

William Mann

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Distinct lack of bangers.

(I say this as a big fan). 

That was the point of the original idea though, wasn’t it? To take acts who are almost at that level and use the stage to catapult them there. 

I agree, Simz needs some popular crossover. But she has the bangers. They just need surfacing. 

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think he made the mistake of saying ‘4 special guests’ without setting the bar for who they were. If he’d said I want to use the slot to ‘highlight some great new talent’ then people’s expectations might have been lower and the crazy suggestions like Eminem, Britney & the Spice Girls wouldn’t have appeared. 

It’s not his job to legislate for Internet craziness. What Furnish actually said:-

“He just thought, 'I'd really like to do something with these artists at Glastonbury. And that's all I'm going to say.

"Sorry. I am sworn to secrecy. This one is very special. It is not just another day in office. It's a different setlist - it's a huge outdoor live festival. He's got four different collaborators joining him on stage at different times, who I won't name, sorry."

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s not his job to legislate for Internet craziness. What Furnish actually said:-

“He just thought, 'I'd really like to do something with these artists at Glastonbury. And that's all I'm going to say.

"Sorry. I am sworn to secrecy. This one is very special. It is not just another day in office. It's a different setlist - it's a huge outdoor live festival. He's got four different collaborators joining him on stage at different times, who I won't name, sorry."

Yes - but then he created a thread on eFestivals called Elton's Special Guests which only hyped people up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yes - but then he created a thread on eFestivals called Elton's Special Guests which only hyped people up.

That was a bit naive. He didn’t have to tell people Britney was at Bristol Airport. Just got people all hepped up.

14 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I never said it was his job to legislate for internet craziness, I just said the reality of what happened & why a lot of people were ‘disappointed’ with the guests. 

Also it wasn’t just Furnish, Elton did an interview for the BBC (after the rumours were already in full swing) where he spoke about it & teased special guests. 

Aye, but in retrospect that interview should have given a clue.

Cos it was with Furure Sounds and he talked about new music and the up and coming acts he was excited for at Glastonbury 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001n9bd

Nothing in there about the Spice Girls, Britney or - as much as it surprises me that people were disappointed that he didn't show - Eminem.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye, but in retrospect that interview should have given a clue.

Cos it was with Furure Sounds and he talked about new music and the up and coming acts he was excited for at Glastonbury 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001n9bd

Nothing in there about the Spice Girls, Britney or - as much as it surprises me that people were disappointed that he didn't show - Eminem.

Again, I’m not saying Elton did anything wrong as such, I’m just explaining why people hyped it up & were then disappointed.

That interview was the perfect chance for him to say that these ‘special guests’ were newer artists that he’s excited about showcasing. But he didn’t, he let the hype train run on because he knew what he was doing, and more power to him. He’s always been media savvy. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all fair enough. I don't think he's particularly guilty of anything.

But I think we can all laugh at the people who wasted their last night at Glastonbury watching an artist they don't like on the off chance that Slim Shady would show up.

Yep, on that we can certainly agree. 

41 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Again, I’m not saying Elton did anything wrong as such, I’m just explaining why people hyped it up & were then disappointed.

That interview was the perfect chance for him to say that these ‘special guests’ were newer artists that he’s excited about showcasing. But he didn’t, he let the hype train run on because he knew what he was doing, and more power to him. He’s always been media savvy. 

Some people were hyped up and disappointed, other people thought oh no it looks like he's going to bring out a load of sh*t guest out actually he ended up bringing out some pretty great ones and they were much happier with the set than they thought it would be.

For the avoidance of any doubt I am other people!

[Blogging afterwards]

"John announced his first guest and out walked a dainty black man in a neon pink suit who started singing a Philly-soul style tune in the manner of Al Green with a gospel choir backing. 

After a few minutes of smooth funk I was puzzled and it didn't take long before the penny dropped and I realised that this was not in fact Eminem - this man was actually singing about being ready for love and not about murdering women.

It was then that I started to feel cheated and the red mist started to rise...."

52 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all fair enough. I don't think he's particularly guilty of anything.

But I think we can all laugh at the people who wasted their last night at Glastonbury watching an artist they don't like on the off chance that Slim Shady would show up.

See also: folk at Kendrick last year....

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nikita would have been fun, I'll give you that.  Albeit the Russophilia vibes it conjures up would probably not be for everyone given what else was going on in the world that weekend.

Actually, yeah you are right.

"All the Girls love Alice" is a favourite of mine, prob not 1 for those waiting to see Britney Spears or Eminem though.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Actually, yeah you are right.

"All the Girls love Alice" is a favourite of mine, prob not 1 for those waiting to see Britney Spears or Eminem though.

I think he's been playing it on the tour - but he stripped out all of the deep cuts from the tour setlist, which was the right move. Even Daniel seemed to be a bit less well-known than the rest of the setlist.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think he's been playing it on the tour - but he stripped out all of the deep cuts from the tour setlist, which was the right move. Even Daniel seemed to be a bit less well-known than the rest of the setlist.

Everyone in my section of the crowd smiled appreciatively and waited for the next hit. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

100%. Sorry Seems to be the hardest word might have gone down well.

Especially for the ones desparate to see Lee Ryan pop up on the line up.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

120,000 people in collective bafflement at Have Mercy On The Criminal....