Football 2023/24

charlierc

5 hours ago, charlierc said:

Yup, that's on there. 3-0 was quite the faceplant too, if somehow overshadowed because our Championship promotion rivals Brighton crashed at a then-National League Lincoln at the same time.

I guess Saint-Maximin's winner in a replay's extra-time 3 years later counts as revenge. If perhaps too exciting for that one fan who did a helicopter in celebration.

It was with a close to full strength team as well! That's what made it even more ridiculous!

18 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It was with a close to full strength team as well! That's what made it even more ridiculous!

Hmmm... I had a look at the teamsheet from that and it included the third choice goalkeeper, a defender who'd not played a senior game in 4 years and 3 players who (I think) only played one senior game for the team in that match. So, I wouldn't exactly say full-strength.

Being held to a 0-0 at home by Oxford and then taken to extra-time in a replay with the first team under Steve Bruce wasn't much better, mind.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:34 PM, pink_triangle said:

Sheffield wed or Coventry is not a great draw for Maidstone. If Wrexham can get past Blackburn (which I suspect they won’t) then Newcastle is a tasty draw.

As it's 4-1 to Blackburn with ten minutes to play, your suspicions proved accurate.

Much as Wrexham away was screaming banana skin, I actually would've liked the trip as something different. But then tbf Blackburn away usually yields a large away following (5k+?) so I suspect a lot of Newcastle fans would've preferred that'un.

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Really enjoyed Newport vs Ma Utd with no VAR. Amazing how pure the game becomes again when its not in place. 

I'm loving no VAR games

IMO there seem to be as many "mistakes" with VAR as there were without

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'm loving no VAR games

IMO there seem to be as many "mistakes" with VAR as there were without

Was obvious it could never work most decisions are subjective. just think of endless irresolvable arguments in the pub about that was never a red card etc.

9 hours ago, The Nal said:

Really enjoyed Newport vs Ma Utd with no VAR. Amazing how pure the game becomes again when its not in place. 

Presumably a midweek round of Premier League games puts us back to normal and waiting for VAR to f**k something up.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:11 PM, charlierc said:

As it's 4-1 to Blackburn with ten minutes to play, your suspicions proved accurate.

Much as Wrexham away was screaming banana skin, I actually would've liked the trip as something different. But then tbf Blackburn away usually yields a large away following (5k+?) so I suspect a lot of Newcastle fans would've preferred that'un.

When you play teams a couple of leagues higher (particularly away) you need things to go for you. We had a great chance to go 2-0 up and I think that could be a different game. Oh well focus on the league! I don’t have the spelling right but that Smodics looks a good player.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

When you play teams a couple of leagues higher (particularly away) you need things to go for you. We had a great chance to go 2-0 up and I think that could be a different game. Oh well focus on the league! I don’t have the spelling right but that Smodics looks a good player.

I guess you got the luck last year at Coventry last season but this time the quick collapse from 1-0 up to 2-1 down.

Szmodics is having an exceptional season with 21 goals for an attacking midfielder. Could be a decent option for a PL club or relegated Champ side in the summer window.

Liverpool were fantastic tonight and have a big right back problem which reminds me Reece James isn't even the best right back in his mum's house

(Just saw that and had to share it.)

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Liverpool were fantastic tonight and have a big right back problem which reminds me Reece James isn't even the best right back in his mum's house

(Just saw that and had to share it.)

That Conor Bradley looks like he’s going to be some player.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Irony is that a week or two ago a game in the Belgian league has been ordered to being replayed after being compromised by VAR: ‘Misapplication of the laws’: VAR error leads to full replay of Belgian match | Video assistant referees (VARs) | The Guardian

It's a bit of a surprise in fairness. Whether it sets a precedent, who knows.

Also Kasper Schmeichel is at Anderlecht now. Who knew?

On 1/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, The Nal said:

Aaaaand then I made the mistake of watching some of Wolves vs Utd and Liverpool vs Chelsea.

Lesson learned.

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

Irony is that a week or two ago a game in the Belgian league has been ordered to being replayed after being compromised by VAR: ‘Misapplication of the laws’: VAR error leads to full replay of Belgian match | Video assistant referees (VARs) | The Guardian

It's a bit of a surprise in fairness. Whether it sets a precedent, who knows.

Also Kasper Schmeichel is at Anderlecht now. Who knew?

It won't happen in bigger leagues where powerful clubs are already lobbying to get rid of competitive games so they can have more money-spinning friendlies in Asia and USA.

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It won't happen in bigger leagues where powerful clubs are already lobbying to get rid of competitive games so they can have more money-spinning friendlies in Asia and USA.

Or just making the Champions League into a bigger more bloated affair, as we're seeing next season.