Football 2023/24

charlierc

10 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Have to say this is one of the best title run ins I can remember for years. I still fully expect City to win it and their next 2 league games will go a long way to telling us if that will happen or not. 

I'm pretty sure City will win every game after Liverpool and Arsenal, just a question of what happens in those 2 games.

What I found interesting is how similar all 3 teams remaining fixtures are on paper.

All 3 have 4 games left against the top 6. City and Liverpool have 5 against 7-14th and 2 against the bottom 6, Arsenal with 6 against 7-14th and 3 against the bottom 6. Really could go either way.

Football.jpg

If Man City beat both Liverpool and Arsenal, I think they're in pole position. But equally each side has a decent amount of unpredictable games in the run-in - I think Liverpool and Arsenal have trickier fixtures overall than Man City.

Saying that, if Man City lose at Anfield, even with Liverpool's injury issues, then all bets might well be off.

Really interesting game between Liverpool and City on Sunday. I feel like Liverpool have been walking a tightrope in the last month or so, they've only looked like an exceptional team when dominating Chelsea in the league game. Comfortable in others and hanging on in a few. I fear the game has come too soon to get more senior players back and up to speed. 

Still... win it and things will look a lot more rosy.

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Really interesting game between Liverpool and City on Sunday. I feel like Liverpool have been walking a tightrope in the last month or so, they've only looked like an exceptional team when dominating Chelsea in the league game. Comfortable in others and hanging on in a few. I fear the game has come too soon to get more senior players back and up to speed. 

Still... win it and things will look a lot more rosy.

It will be interesting to see how seriously Liverpool take their Europa League game tomorrow night, as there's a stick-or-twist thing. Though I imagine Klopp would be happy saying sayonara to the Reds by winning either.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It will be interesting to see how seriously Liverpool take their Europa League game tomorrow night, as there's a stick-or-twist thing. Though I imagine Klopp would be happy saying sayonara to the Reds by winning either.

don't think Liverpool will care about the Europa its  all about big ears!

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't think Liverpool will care about the Europa its  all about big ears!

Winning the Europa gets you a Champions League place tbf, and would mean Klopp completes the lot. So it would still be a nice addition.

But naturally to be top of the PL now with 11 games to go, you'd want to win that.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Winning the Europa gets you a Champions League place tbf, and would mean Klopp completes the lot. So it would still be a nice addition.

But naturally to be top of the PL now with 11 games to go, you'd want to win that.

reckon liverpool will be in the champions league places at the top of the prem anyway.

Posted (edited)

I see PSR/FFP is tying clubs up in knots again. Not least as apparently the EFL and Leicester have spent the night having a bit of a public sniping match over a rule Leicester may or may not be using in their accounts.

Edited by charlierc

9 hours ago, lost said:

Chelsea have smashed it too apparently. Over £200m loss.

no surprise  now they're back to the won't win anything team they were before Roman arrived.

52 minutes ago, thetime said:

Hopefully liverpool will be the same post klopp. 

Another manager can bring the same as klopp.anotherbowner isn't doping Chelsea same as Roman did.

only reason people will talk about Chelsea now will be same as 70s & 80s it'll be the racists in the shed.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:06 PM, lost said:

Chelsea have smashed it too apparently. Over £200m loss.

It's weirdly impressive they managed to record a £90M+ loss for last season despite making a club record revenue for a single season there totalling well over £500M.

Chelsea might be able tbf to claim special dispensation for 2021/22 given that they spent much of the final 3 months of that season under financial distress following the club being seized from Roman, but they're straying very close to the wind. At the very least, I wouldn't anticipate them going hell for leather for more signings in the summer, even if ironically they still need a striker and could use an upgrade in goal.

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Hopefully liverpool will be the same post klopp. 

Depends on who comes in as manager.

I imagine a few aren't amused by news that previous bookies favourite Xabi Alonso is also strongly being linked with Bayern Munich, or even just staying at Leverkusen.

23 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Depends on who comes in as manager.

I imagine a few aren't amused by news that previous bookies favourite Xabi Alonso is also strongly being linked with Bayern Munich, or even just staying at Leverkusen.

Perhaps a mistake going in after a successful manager like klopp. 

Given Everton's finances took a kicking through stadium redevelopment and Spurs have debts, I guess we'll wait and see what the PSR damage from this is.

Saying that, you'd imagine Man United have the money to swallow up the requirements for this and I've heard it said repeatedly that Old Trafford is looking very old at present.

5 minutes ago, thetime said:

Yes pretty much, I am sure the next City manager will struggle also in comparison. 

Will struggle to get another billion to spend.

1 minute ago, thetime said:

klopp has spent a billion at liverpool.

Didn't need to spend that amount to win stuff 

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given Everton's finances took a kicking through stadium redevelopment and Spurs have debts, I guess we'll wait and see what the PSR damage from this is.

Saying that, you'd imagine Man United have the money to swallow up the requirements for this and I've heard it said repeatedly that Old Trafford is looking very old at present.

More important to develop a world class football team 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

More important to develop a world class football team 

I mean, at the very least, fixing a roof with a reputation for leaking during heavy rainfall would be a start, and given Manchester isn't exactly the driest city in the world, seems like the kind of thing you'd have tried to fix yesterday.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, at the very least, fixing a roof with a reputation for leaking during heavy rainfall would be a start, and given Manchester isn't exactly the driest city in the world, seems like the kind of thing you'd have tried to fix yesterday.

your new owner isn't interested in fixing anything, wants the govt to fix it for him, maybe put chris grayling in charge!!!!