Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

54 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Chemical Brothers strike me as the kind of act the festival might’ve avoided previously due to maybe not being Pitchfork-y enough or whatever,  but now that they’re willing to be a bit more flexible with their bookings hopefully there’s more of a chance, and they’d go down an absolute storm so seems like a no-brainer booking to me.

I like the Chemical Brothers but, man, they've been playing gigs every year, pandemic excepted, since 1995 (when John Major was UK prime minister!)

Surely everyone who wanted to has seen them by now?! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Chemical Brothers strike me as the kind of act the festival might’ve avoided previously due to maybe not being Pitchfork-y enough or whatever,  but now that they’re willing to be a bit more flexible with their bookings hopefully there’s more of a chance, and they’d go down an absolute storm so seems like a no-brainer booking to me.

I think its not even that meta, I think they've just been snapped by Sonar most times they were touring Europe in june. I mean, after all theyd be somewhere in the Top10 at max at PS whilst being definitive headliner at Sonar and that might be the decisive element 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I like the Chemical Brothers but, man, they've been playing gigs every year, pandemic excepted, since 1995 (when John Major was UK prime minister!)

Surely everyone who wanted to has seen them by now?! 

I haven't. The last time the played anywhere near me was more than 10 years ago.

Edited by Quadrophobia

This year they brought Depeche mode, pet shop boys and blur, so i hope next year they bring big bands as headliners.

I Will be happy with The Cure, Justice, the strokes and the last Shadow puppets as headliners. I think they are realistic choices.

It sucks to wait until november to know the line up

Edited by nicolaspepsi

4 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

This year they brought Depeche mode, pet shop boys and blur, so i hope next year they bring big bands as headliners.

I Will be happy with The Cure, Justice, the strokes and the last Shadow puppets as headliners. I think they are realistic choices.

The Strokes wont play again so soon and The Last Shadow Puppets seems even more unlikely. 

And Justice are barely a headliner if at all.

The Cure does feel realistic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

Would love The Cure but as for The Strokes - I'm a fan but was pretty disappointed with their set in 2022. The quality of their performances seems to lie solely on whatever mood Julian is in on the night and it seems more often than not he's in the mood to be an arsehole.

I think they won't be booked again so soon and selfishly I hope that's the case. I'd prefer that slot to be taken by a band that will put on a good performance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The Strokes wont play again so soon and The Last Shadow Puppets seems even more unlikely. 

And Justice are barely a headliner if at all.

The Cure does feel realistic.

I hope we have some rock, but this year a Lot of bands played in european festivals: qotsa, the strokes, arctic monkeys, iggy pop, red hot chilli peppers. All of them in late july/august of this year

Maybe one them can repeat in may. Big bands sometimes repeat countries from one year to another in europe.

Edited by nicolaspepsi

It's amazing how much opinions can vary. I was there that night and thought he was on amazing form, as were the rest of the band. He was talking a lot between songs (surely if you don't care, you avoid this, race through the songs and get paid) and despite not being a comedian, much of it was hilarious. He's partly Catalan and I think was happy to be in Barcelona.

And he still has the swagger, the charisma - and crucially can still song well. At least to my ears!

9 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Feel like I'm just gonna assume the cure are gonna be there and be disappointed when they don't tour next year tbh 

I think that PS would definitely snap them if they are around. Might be the last chance after all. Probably other mainstays like Glasto, Roskilde and Werchter would be interested too, so they should be able to put together a tour. At the same time The Cure will not be as in demand as in the past at other festivals that used to cater to Indie tastes but don't anymore (saw the Cure at the same fest in 2012 and 2019 and the crowd they drew more than halfed) and PS will probably not have too much competition. 

In Terms of "legacy"  bands i can't see the same weight (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Blur, New Order) being pulled as in 2023. Pulp f.e. are (sorry to the Brits) just not relevant enough outside the UK to headline here. 

Another Act I have a feeling about is Bon Iver. Been 7 years now since they last played, the extensive re-releasing sorta indicates a new album and they would probably tour that too. Also, The 1975 skip BCN on their Spring Tour. Not the best fit I'd say, but would perfectly bridge pitchfork-approved and mainstream compatible

So something like this (pure speculation) would be my guess

The Cure - Lil Nas X - Mitski

SZA - Janelle Monae - The 1975 

Tyler, the Creator - Bon Iver - Kylie Minogue

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's amazing how much opinions can vary. I was there that night and thought he was on amazing form, as were the rest of the band. He was talking a lot between songs (surely if you don't care, you avoid this, race through the songs and get paid) and despite not being a comedian, much of it was hilarious. He's partly Catalan and I think was happy to be in Barcelona.

And he still has the swagger, the charisma - and crucially can still song well. At least to my ears!

I agree, I was in stitches the whole set, BUT I can't help but remember his non-stop bantering caused the set to be cut by TWO songs! According to https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-strokes/2022/parc-del-forum-barcelona-spain-6bb43616.html

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I think that PS would definitely snap them if they are around. Might be the last chance after all. Probably other mainstays like Glasto, Roskilde and Werchter would be interested too, so they should be able to put together a tour. At the same time The Cure will not be as in demand as in the past at other festivals that used to cater to Indie tastes but don't anymore (saw the Cure at the same fest in 2012 and 2019 and the crowd they drew more than halfed) and PS will probably not have too much competition. 

In Terms of "legacy"  bands i can't see the same weight (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Blur, New Order) being pulled as in 2023. Pulp f.e. are (sorry to the Brits) just not relevant enough outside the UK to headline here. 

Another Act I have a feeling about is Bon Iver. Been 7 years now since they last played, the extensive re-releasing sorta indicates a new album and they would probably tour that too. Also, The 1975 skip BCN on their Spring Tour. Not the best fit I'd say, but would perfectly bridge pitchfork-approved and mainstream compatible

Yeah no doubt they'd be loads of fests interested in the cure, I just need a few more rumours on them to get properly hyped, they're one of my favourite bands and live bands.

I think Bon Iver are going on a break to be honest. That's the vibe I get. I don't feel like they'd tour next year. It was strange they missed Primavera this year to be honest as they were about. I'd love it if they were there though.

15 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Pulp have headlined previously though? They would definitely be booked to headline again tbh. They're bigger than Interpol who get asked every other year (I think they must have shares in primavera given how often they get booked).

1975 are going on a break I'm pretty sure after their upcoming tour.

Tyler feels too soon.

Edited by scatteredscreens

6 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Yeah no doubt they'd be loads of fests interested in the cure, I just need a few more rumours on them to get properly hyped, they're one of my favourite bands and live bands.

I think Bon Iver are going on a break to be honest. That's the vibe I get. I don't feel like they'd tour next year. It was strange they missed Primavera this year to be honest as they were about. I'd love it if they were there though.

if PS wanted them with a new album in 24 it'd be understandable to forego them in 23

4 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

if PS wanted them with a new album in 24 it'd be understandable to forego them in 23

Yeah true. I just don't think they'll be a new album anytime soon. There was rumours of a live record coming, I would assume that would be used to tide fans over.

Edit for context: I wouldn't believe the initial post headline but lots of rumours/rumblings from people in comments

Edited by scatteredscreens

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Yeah it's funny we've had totally different experiences at the same show.

My issue was this. The band played well but every time they played a good song or 2 Julian stopped to ramble stupid (imo) jokes in between for 5 minutes at some points. As the set went on he did it more and more to the point where as someone else mentioned, we lost some songs from the set. I actually wonder if he was stalling because he wasn't bothered.

IIRC there was even a point where the band cut off one of his rambles by just starting to play. Basically I felt he significantly reduced my enjoyment of it by killing the momentum. The crowd was never crazy into it, at least in the section where I was and nobody around me was laughing at his jokes either - all just waiting for the music to start again. It's a personal thing but I probably would avoid them in future at festivals.

29 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Yeah it's funny we've had totally different experiences at the same show.

My issue was this. The band played well but every time they played a good song or 2 Julian stopped to ramble stupid (imo) jokes in between for 5 minutes at some points. As the set went on he did it more and more to the point where as someone else mentioned, we lost some songs from the set. I actually wonder if he was stalling because he wasn't bothered.

IIRC there was even a point where the band cut off one of his rambles by just starting to play. Basically I felt he significantly reduced my enjoyment of it by killing the momentum. The crowd was never crazy into it, at least in the section where I was and nobody around me was laughing at his jokes either - all just waiting for the music to start again. It's a personal thing but I probably would avoid them in future at festivals.

I think I'm sort of with you or at least very much agree that speaking too much is a negative.

But I would imagine as a performer you go into auto pilot having done the songs endlessly and therefore speaking is in fact a sign of effort, not the contrary. 

The worst bands for me are the ones that, unless it fits their vibe (e.g. Beach House) don't engage with or acknowledge the crowd at all. Gives me the sense they just want to rattle through the songs as quickly as possible and collect their cheque.

6 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Isn't Rosin Murphy an LGBT firefighter since forever? 

"A screenshot of Murphy decrying puberty blockers as “big pharma laughing all the way to the bank”, expressing concern about “mixed-up kids” and characterising “Terf” as a misogynist slur in a Facebook comment was circulated online. (A US study which followed 104 trans and non-binary youth over 12 months at a gender clinic found that those who received puberty blockers, gender-affirming hormones or both had 60% lower odds of depression and 73% lower odds of self-harm or suicidal thoughts. Puberty blockers have also long been used to stall precocious puberty in cisgender children. As of June, the NHS has paused their availability to young people outside exceptional circumstances and for research studies.) Murphy’s comments dismayed many within her vast LGBTQ+ fanbase"

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Having worked so hard to make Primavera a trans-friendly festival would be a counter-intuitive booking now.

As far as I'm aware and have been reading into it, she's not anti trans.

She has concerns about puberty blockers and medical interventions on children.

She's of the camp that adults can make informed decisions but children cannot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

As far as I'm aware and have been reading into it, she's not anti trans.

She has concerns about puberty blockers and medical interventions on children.

She's of the camp that adults can make informed decisions but children cannot.

I don't understand the nuance of this to have been able to form a view but it's not ideal that she's become an accidental hero of far right people who spew hate like Dan Wootton, The Daily Mail, GB News etc and if she gets to Number 1 in the charts as expected, then there will be even more media spotlight on this.

It's a sensitive decision now for any festival to book her, especially a festival that is proactively promoting trans artists.

• Upvote 1