Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

6 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

We had Miley Cyrus here, come on. 

There's definitely been a diverging, you're right, but it's also true that there are a lot of very mainstream MC names that you simply couldn't imagine at PS eg. Liam Gallagher, Mumford and Sons, Machine Gun Kelly, Imagine Dragons, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

And Cyrus was a late replacement.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There's definitely been a diverging, you're right, but it's also true that there are a lot of very mainstream MC names that you simply couldn't imagine at PS eg. Liam Gallagher, Mumford and Sons, Machine Gun Kelly, Imagine Dragons, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Also at that point, Miley could be understood as an anti-popstar. She was readying Plastic Hearts by then and she could've well turned out to be a rather good fit for PS. Since then she has obviously went back to realtively dull radio-pop, but in 2019 things were different

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I can imagine anything at Primavera, specially after J. Balvin, Calvin Harris, Halsey, or Miley Cyrus, Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion or Migos. 

1 minute ago, davidoffescassi said:

I can imagine anything at Primavera, specially after J. Balvin, Calvin Harris, Halsey, or Miley Cyrus, Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion or Migos. 

This is a helpful list. Let's park Harris as a one-off failed mindfart/experiment.

Ignoring whether they are any good or not, I think what is shows is that they will take any perceived young fresh pop, latin or rap act and applying a gender bias.

But when it comes to older (and frankly male) acts they are far more discriminatory and in my view for the better.

I always wanted to come to Primavera because usually it has so many small acts that never really tour Europe or if they tour they don't ever come more Eastern than Amsterdam but the amount of gatekeeping in any discussion I see around the festival (here, other forums, facebook, instagram) really makes me not want to go

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

I always wanted to come to Primavera because usually it has so many small acts that never really tour Europe or if they tour they don't ever come more Eastern than Amsterdam but the amount of gatekeeping in any discussion I see around the festival (here, other forums, facebook, instagram) really makes me not want to go

I get where you're coming from but trust me, its great vibes at the actual festival and whether you go to see a popstar on the main stage or go to a small stage to see an experimental band - you'll generally find the crowd is into it.

Best thing about Primavera imo is the small acts that are hard to see get a really good crowd and some of the shows are amazing. I've been to other festivals where good smaller acts get a crowd of 30 people. Not usually the case here. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

I don't see any issue with Halsey or (as discussed ealier) Miley at that point. And Cradi B, Megan Thee Stallion and Migos were super hyped popculture names in their respective bookings year.
The only name where I'd agree is Calvin Harris and as others pointed out here before, he was part of an effort to bring people to Madrid

4 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

If it's any reassurance, there is no feeling onsite whatsoever that the festival represents the views of active people on here (who are prob <0.1% of attendees after all) 

6 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Shocking bit of PR. To think a group of professionals sat there and agreed this was a good idea...

It's now in La Marca as happening in 2024 which is a reputable rag and I'm assuming they checked their sources before publishing. Hadn't Avril Lavigne been leaked as playing this anyway...

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It's now in La Marca as happening in 2024 which is a reputable rag and I'm assuming they checked their sources before publishing. Hadn't Avril Lavigne been leaked as playing this anyway...

The only source they quote is the other article, that was already shared.

It's also a sports newspaper, which wouldn't have anything to write about if they actually checked sources, and only printed stuff they knew was true 😉

12 minutes ago, bluenova said:

The only source they quote is the other article, that was already shared.

It's also a sports newspaper, which wouldn't have anything to write about if they actually checked sources, and only printed stuff they knew was true 😉

Actually you're completely right, I take it back.

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I can honestly say it's not like that at all IRL. This is just a forum, everyone has an opinion, you can't please everyone and so on... but if you like the lineup then I highly recommend you go rather than being put off because some people have complained about a few names. The crowd has been great every time I've gone. There will always be complaints about the lineup but you forget about all of that when you arrive on the Thursday tbh.