Drinks on National Express

Chrisp1986

Been going backwards and forwards with this but I THINK I have now decided on a National Express coach to get there, although still not booked. I usually take a large Coleman Xtreme box with beers and ciders but obviously this is not doable on a coach. Is there anyway around it? What generally do they allow in terms of luggage and how much can you take on as 'hand luggage'? I don't know anybody going in a car and I would usually get through about 35ish cans over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Been going backwards and forwards with this but I THINK I have now decided on a National Express coach to get there, although still not booked. I usually take a large Coleman Xtreme box with beers and ciders but obviously this is not doable on a coach. Is there anyway around it? What generally do they allow in terms of luggage and how much can you take on as 'hand luggage'? I don't know anybody going in a car and I would usually get through about 35ish cans over the weekend.

You should be fine as long as your not mocking it with other stuff (ie a trolley)

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

You should be fine as long as your not mocking it with other stuff (ie a trolley)

Last year I watched a bloke load up 100 cans of Fosters, others with trolleys etc get on leaving people unable to get luggage on the bus. Luckily driver gave the stranded passengers their tickets and they just got in their car and went but still….just don’t take the piss really 

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Mate of mine usually takes about 36 cans on the coach - he's never had an issue.

National Express check all bags you take onto the bus now, not sure when this started but any unopened drink gets put into the hold until you reach your destination

You absolutely cannot drink on National Express coaches any more, I suppose it will be completely down to the driver, but I've known 2 people in the past 12 months get thrown off national express coaches for drinking

Not sure when this came into force but the last one we used were treating it like you were visiting somebody in prison the last time we went on one

Edited by MrSpaM

2 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

National Express check all bags you take onto the bus now, not sure when this started but any unopened drink gets put into the hold until you reach your destination

You absolutely cannot drink on National Express coaches any more, I suppose it will be completely down to the driver, but I've known 2 people in the past 12 months get thrown off national express coaches for drinking

Not sure when this came into force but the last one we used were treating it like you were visiting somebody in prison the last time we went on one

I can understand this for standard NE busses but aren't Glasto ones treated a bit differently to standard?  When we travelled last year, nothing was said about not drinking and as far as I can remember a few people did have a couple.  Nothing outrageous though.

The last time I took the NE coach was in 2017, and I would say at least half the people had cracked open a cold one, me included. Fully intend to do so again this year 😁.

As Beerqueen said, these aren't the normal NE coaches. It will depend on the driver though, so hoping for another one who looks the other way.

As far as being able to bring booze on, as long as you aren’t absolutely taking the piss, e.g. crates and crates of beer on a separate trolley, then most drivers are pretty cool and won’t raise an eyelid.

As far as drinking on the coach, same again really - most drivers will just turn a blind eye as long as you’re not absolutely taking the piss and acting shitfaced and waving your drink around.

22 hours ago, TravSC said:

Related question - can you drink on the bus?

Appreciate this will sound a bit ’lads, lads, lads’ - and it’s hardly impressive - but one of my favourite Glasto travel memories was a friend and I unintentionally polishing an entire crate of lager on the coach from London in 2015. We only wanted a few to whet the appetite but ended up smashing through the entire. Silly really as it was one less crate to last the weekend…

Edited by JA_Watts
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:55 PM, FloorFiller said:

As far as being able to bring booze on, as long as you aren’t absolutely taking the piss, e.g. crates and crates of beer on a separate trolley, then most drivers are pretty cool and won’t raise an eyelid.

As far as drinking on the coach, same again really - most drivers will just turn a blind eye as long as you’re not absolutely taking the piss and acting shitfaced and waving your drink around.

What do you reckon they would think to a 47 litre coolbox on wheels?

On 6/11/2023 at 8:27 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Mate of mine usually takes about 36 

These coaches are usually fully sold, and everyone is bringing their own 20kg with tents and sleeping bags etc etc. If everyone brought crates of beer than it just wouldn't fit. Don't take advantage of the kindness of other passengers who choose not to bring crates onboard out of consideration for the luggage needs of everyone. If you must, then hang back to the end and make sure there's room for the real essentials for everyone before very big quantities of your beer goes on.

• Downvote 1

One year our bus broke down at the services on the way so one of the buses that had just dropped off at site came back for us. The first bus driver was a hard no on drinking, no music, nothing. When we got onto the new bus before we set off the driver stood at the front and said 'I've got a special announcement to make. The is the Glastonbury bus so everyone get your drinks out and I will blast out the music' Cheered everyone right up since we were all thinking we were going to be there for ages.

I wonder if the stricter ones are regular National Express drivers who might get in trouble if they are found to allow alcohol etc, whereas temporary drivers drafted in to help with the extra numbers might not care so much

Edited by uscore

On 6/17/2023 at 9:55 AM, Fred Zepplin said:

One year our bus broke down at the services on the way so one of the buses that had just dropped off at site came back for us. The first bus driver was a hard no on drinking, no music, nothing. When we got onto the new bus before we set off the driver stood at the front and said 'I've got a special announcement to make. The is the Glastonbury bus so everyone get your drinks out and I will blast out the music' Cheered everyone right up since we were all thinking we were going to be there for ages.

There's a time and place for rules, and there's a time and place to break them... This driver knew that all too well, well done them!