Vodafone Sim Card Required?

Tomothy123

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

good shout that ... can we have a reminder next year a bit earlier please and thanks 

If it works, I'm half tempted to keep using it for data throughout the year, as O2 are useless! I'm still in contract for quite a while so can't change networks, but would be nice to actually have mobile data that works 😂

Will report back after the festival how it goes. I have grabbed a couple of PAYG sims (Voda and EE) to swap in if it fails spectacularly, but so far I'm fairly confident. Have zero interest in keeping in touch with the outside world whilst I'm there, nobody needs reminding of reality at Glastonbury! But good to be able to keep in touch with the group.

I say all of this. now, and no doubt it'll be a repeat of 2017 when I lost my phone early on - peaceful bliss, but a mare to find anybody! 😂

1 minute ago, theciderviking said:

If it works, I'm half tempted to keep using it for data throughout the year, as O2 are useless! I'm still in contract for quite a while so can't change networks, but would be nice to actually have mobile data that works 😂

Will report back after the festival how it goes. I have grabbed a couple of PAYG sims (Voda and EE) to swap in if it fails spectacularly, but so far I'm fairly confident. Have zero interest in keeping in touch with the outside world whilst I'm there, nobody needs reminding of reality at Glastonbury! But good to be able to keep in touch with the group.

I say all of this. now, and no doubt it'll be a repeat of 2017 when I lost my phone early on - peaceful bliss, but a mare to find anybody! 😂

the other important thing is getting the group to do the same 🙂 

4 hours ago, Alvoram said:

When I got our Vodaphone PAYG sims I remember it specifically saying they do not do e-sims on payg... Hence I'm leaving my three sim at home. (Dunno what you've paid, but they're entirely free, was it a top up you've pre paid for?) 

If you follow the route via their website it gives you the impression that you’re purchasing a PAYG e-sim. 

Anyway, have managed to convert three sim to e-sim (also a ballache 🤪) so I can get a physical PAYG sim. Reluctant to pay Vodafone any money, but guess I’ll have to! 

4 hours ago, goonerben said:

I think it’s right that e-SIMs aren’t available for PAYG - on any network.  

I’m on O2 Pay Monthly - so I called O2 and turned that into an e-SIM.  Then I went to the Vodafone website and ordered a (physical) PAYG SIM, on which I’ll get a data bundle for the festival.  

Yeah, I’ve done that now with my Three sim. Assume I’ll need to get more than data bundle if wanting to actually phone anyone? I’m a bit sh*t with these things!

4 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Yeah, I’ve done that now with my Three sim. Assume I’ll need to get more than data bundle if wanting to actually phone anyone? I’m a bit sh*t with these things!

How did you do it with Three - are you on a certain type of contract? I saw they only do it for certain customers, and don’t think I’m one of them 😒

8 hours ago, LMK said:

How did you do it with Three - are you on a certain type of contract? I saw they only do it for certain customers, and don’t think I’m one of them 😒

I started via the chat on their app. Don’t do that. I got booted off 3 times mid-chat! Though you may have better luck and they were in the process of sorting it. I ended up calling customer service to get it finished off, but whilst on the phone I had the email through from the chat. They send you a QR code and it’s very simple. 
I have an iPhone 11. You’d need to check phone is compatible with e-sim. 

I’ve now ordered a Lebara SIM card who use Vodafone network. It’s was £2.99 for 20gb data and unlimited calls/texts. 

22 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Ok. Cheers. Going to have a mess now and see how I can f**k it all up. Turns out there’s no dual sim tray, so will faff with an e-sim.

You’ll need to go into store and ask - I’ve been with 3 for years but they told me I’m still on the old platform (or something) so can’t have an E-sim

17 hours ago, theciderviking said:

Have you found O2 data signal to be getting consistently worse over the past year or so?  Me & Mrs Q both on O2 as it always used to be fine, but signal when we're moving drops out as often as not.

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

I started via the chat on their app. Don’t do that. I got booted off 3 times mid-chat! Though you may have better luck and they were in the process of sorting it. I ended up calling customer service to get it finished off, but whilst on the phone I had the email through from the chat. They send you a QR code and it’s very simple. 
I have an iPhone 11. You’d need to check phone is compatible with e-sim. 

I’ve now ordered a Lebara SIM card who use Vodafone network. It’s was £2.99 for 20gb data and unlimited calls/texts. 

Thank you! Have an iPhone 13 so should be grand. We bought PAYG Vodafone sims which apparently they’ll convert to esims for you (even though it says they don’t in most places) but will try Three first now 

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Did it over chat/phone yesterday 🙃👌🏼

Sorry another Q… are you on a ‘Three Your Way’ plan - Standard/Plus/Premium? They’re the only ones it’s saying you can get an E-sim on but I’m on an older plan which they say can’t. Checking before I go through the pain that is customer support… 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:04 PM, kerplunk said:

and the best in the uk - yet i can't get signal ever where i live with them! surprisingly sh*tty three are the best here

On 6/9/2023 at 6:02 PM, Gnomicide said:

3 is unbelievably sh*t. Festival, football, crowded venues.

If only I wasn't such a tight arse, I'd have switched ages ago.

Lebara is definitely cheaper than whatever your paying

-----

Interesting they are just giving out free week long SIM cards. a lot of people seem to have switched for nothing!

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Have you found O2 data signal to be getting consistently worse over the past year or so?  Me & Mrs Q both on O2 as it always used to be fine, but signal when we're moving drops out as often as not.

Yep, it’s horrific! 

I’m up north, and can get signal in half of my town but nowhere useful. If I go into Manchester then it’s reasonable around Piccadilly, but head towards Victoria and it’s completely useless. No chance of using it when travelling, whether by car or train. Funnily enough the only time I can use it properly these days is when I’m out of the country and connected to another network 🤦‍♂️

On 6/10/2023 at 8:22 AM, theciderviking said:

An international friend mentioned they’d had no problem at all using their sim all weekend last year, and the logic to this seemed to be that their sim would connect to whichever UK network had the strongest signal wherever they were (like our UK sims do when we’re roaming abroad) rather than being tied to one as we are. 

After having zero signal at Bearded this year I thought I’d try out the theory, so grabbed a Eurolink global esim - obviously I’ve not been able to try it on the farm, but so far it seems to be working as intended - it automatically connects to whichever local network has the best signal wherever I am, or I can manually select the one I want to use - obviously with the volume of people at Glasto none of them will be great, but it gives you 4 chances rather than just 1.

May be something to consider/explore for those with a phone capable of using an esim if you were thinking of using a PAYG sim anyway, cost will be about the same but potentially more flexibility. Just thought it worth a mention. 😊

As an international person I had zero issues with EE last year. If you have an iphone 13 or prior you have 2 options which is either switch the sim card out or you can just select the network you want your phone to be on. Not even down to which is strongest. I think the first time I went to the uk my phone had gone to O2 in London just as a default. But again, being able to switch networks made a huge difference. Newer iphones use e-sim which kinda sucks and makes me want to just have a spare iphone 13 so its at least reasonably new and capable just to have the option of switching physical sim cards if i wanted to. Biggest difference in having a 5g capable phone was last year I was texting and sending images from the front of the Pyramid when in 2017 my phone had zero reception in the same spot.

Edited by Suprefan

On 6/10/2023 at 4:22 PM, theciderviking said:

An international friend mentioned they’d had no problem at all using their sim all weekend last year, and the logic to this seemed to be that their sim would connect to whichever UK network had the strongest signal wherever they were (like our UK sims do when we’re roaming abroad) rather than being tied to one as we are. 

After having zero signal at Bearded this year I thought I’d try out the theory, so grabbed a Eurolink global esim - obviously I’ve not been able to try it on the farm, but so far it seems to be working as intended - it automatically connects to whichever local network has the best signal wherever I am, or I can manually select the one I want to use - obviously with the volume of people at Glasto none of them will be great, but it gives you 4 chances rather than just 1.

May be something to consider/explore for those with a phone capable of using an esim if you were thinking of using a PAYG sim anyway, cost will be about the same but potentially more flexibility. Just thought it worth a mention. 😊

Is the company for the sim you mentioned called Airalo? 

Bit nervous about signal this year - changed to Three since the last fest and everyone seems to agree they're shite on the farm but my old phone isn't dual sim capable...

Never used to worry when I went solo but now that I'm there with mates it could be an issue.

On O2, phone takes 1 SIM and 1 ESIM. O2 shop sorted ESIM in 5 mins. Had 2 O2 numbers briefly. Text after a couple of hours to say phone number ported. Took O2 physical SIM out and Vodafone PAYG in. No interruption of service. 

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

I've sorted an e-sim for my O2 phone, was going to get a Vodafone PAYG sim, but not sure whether to go for an EE one now. Either one should be OK shouldn't it?

I'm having the same quandary. I think EE is overall better service across the country, so maybe will be the same at Glasto?