Bearded Theory 2024

48 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Hopefully those on Facebook getting very angry about anything and everything saying 'they won't go again' means it will be even better 🙂

and thank you

Really, really don't understand people sometimes.

They were getting very angry before this years festival, complaining about all the changes they imagined were going to happen (but in reality, didn't), and the one change that actually did happen (a novelty stage that never attracted more than 200 people being replaced).

The festival ended up being one of the best ever.

Now they're getting angry all over again about the same imaginary changes.

Edited by incident
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

£190 for super early bird, £200 for early and £210 for general release adults, presumably plus bf. Isn't that a big hike from last year? Can't remember how much we paid for last years tickets. 

We got general release last year plus campervan £175 each + £70 for van £420 plus booking fees total £450.90

This year will be £210 each plus £95 for campervan so £515 plus fees (£40?) total of around £555 so around a 23% increase.

Pretty hefty rise, maybe they are covering themselves against increased costs or a possible non-sell out, will still be getting tickets but the increase is a bit of a shock.

Magical Sounds isn't for me but for some in my group it will be hugely missed.  But they I suspect, will still go because they love the festival too.  The amount of Mr Angry's on the Facebook page is staggering.  I'll still go, may volunteer again if I can get a place. Fab festival! 

15 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

A nearly 25% increase is hefty and can understand why people will be pushing back..most peoples bills have gone up by about that amount but not their wages...if you have to choose between rent, eating, heating or a festival sommat has to give. 

It's actually 20% but I take your point and you're quite right something has to give for people who find themselves struggling. I think this the first 2024 Festival where I have looked at the price. I suspect that there will be very few that don't increase by 15% or more. 

On 8/29/2023 at 5:20 PM, Paul ™ said:

Last 10 years

2013 - Tickets Sept 5th, first announcement Oct 26th

2014 - Tickets Sept 1st, first announcement Oct 27th

2015 - Tickets Sept 6th, first announcement Sept 2nd

2016 - Tickets Aug 31st, first announcement Oct 31st

2017 - Tickets Sept 10th, first announcement Nov 9th

2018 - Tickets Sept 9th, first announcement Nov 6th

2019 - Tickets Sept 15th, first announcement Nov 2nd

2020 - Tickets Sept 7th, first announcement Oct 25th. Then moved to Sept, headliners carried fwd.

2021 - Rolled over, payment plan Tickets 1st Aug, first announcement Jan 15th

2022 - Rolled over, Headliners announced April 9th when 2021 was cancelled

2022 - Rolled over, Announcement Sept 3rd, remaining tickets Sept 11th

2023 - Tickets Sept 17th

you've got the start of a bearded 'thingy' there.

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

It's actually 20% but I take your point and you're quite right something has to give for people who find themselves struggling. I think this the first 2024 Festival where I have looked at the price. I suspect that there will be very few that don't increase by 15% or more. 

20% for the basic ticket, campervan has gone up by 36%!  Maybe they think people who have a campervan can afford to pay more, I've noticed this with other festivals over the last few years I'm seriously considering going back to a tent for some festivals, Glastonbury for one, £150 to be way off site is getting to be too much.

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Maybe they think people who have a campervan can afford to pay more, I've noticed this with other festivals over the last few years

Maybe like other festivals they just find that providing for an ever increasing numbers of campervans / caravans is getting more difficult? I swear the number (across festivals generally, Bearded has already been saturated for a while) goes up about 20% each year.

It's especially a problem at Bearded where they're tight on available space, and in the past have had to overflow into fields some distance away (with accompanying complaints).

27 minutes ago, incident said:

Maybe like other festivals they just find that providing for an ever increasing numbers of campervans / caravans is getting more difficult? I swear the number (across festivals generally, Bearded has already been saturated for a while) goes up about 20% each year.

It's especially a problem at Bearded where they're tight on available space, and in the past have had to overflow into fields some distance away (with accompanying complaints).

and lots of those fields have different land owners who likely know the situation so put up their demands for payments.

6 hours ago, gizmoman said:

20% for the basic ticket, campervan has gone up by 36%!  Maybe they think people who have a campervan can afford to pay more, I've noticed this with other festivals over the last few years I'm seriously considering going back to a tent for some festivals, Glastonbury for one, £150 to be way off site is getting to be too much.

Glastonbury is one fest I don't think I would contemplate in a campervan. The hike before you even get inside Gate C from Campervan East is mahoosive and then there are the constant checks as you go in and out. I would always go in a tent.

BT I have always done in a tent but last year I was bl**dy freeezing during the night so it's a campervan for me this time. I've bought it to do some touring as well as fests. It is depressing to see people priced out of events like this especially given the nature of it. These things tend to go in cycles and I'm sure that as the country recovers, we get the evil T*ry c***s out and things like the terrible war in Ukraine are behind us we will see better days for all.

3 hours ago, incident said:

Fair point, as festival attendees age they want better facilities and Bearded appeals to the older end, so more campervans. I suppose £95 for 4 nights isn't too bad, similar to most campsites nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Glastonbury is one fest I don't think I would contemplate in a campervan. The hike before you even get inside Gate C from Campervan East is mahoosive and then there are the constant checks as you go in and out. I would always go in a tent.

BT I have always done in a tent but last year I was bl**dy freeezing during the night so it's a campervan for me this time. I've bought it to do some touring as well as fests. It is depressing to see people priced out of events like this especially given the nature of it. These things tend to go in cycles and I'm sure that as the country recovers, we get the evil T*ry c***s out and things like the terrible war in Ukraine are behind us we will see better days for all.

Campervan West wasn't too bad, still a trek at the end of the day, but East is only doable (for me at least) if you get quiet campervans near the gate, really don't want to be trailing all the way up the fields at the end of a long day. As for Bath & West, done it once, never again!

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Campervan West wasn't too bad, still a trek at the end of the day, but East is only doable (for me at least) if you get quiet campervans near the gate, really don't want to be trailing all the way up the fields at the end of a long day. As for Bath & West, done it once, never again!

Am I right that Campervan West has gone now? Haven't managed to get G tickets since before COVID. Not sure I'm as bothered any more I find smaller fests like BT better value especially if like Glasto this year I wasn't bothered about any of the headliners or subs.

Am I right that Campervan West has gone now? Haven't managed to get G tickets since before COVID. Not sure I'm as bothered any more I find smaller fests like BT better value especially if like Glasto this year I wasn't bothered about any of the headliners or subs.

Yeah, West is now Sticklinch pre-erected tents. There is a new campervan space at Bath & West Showground which is a shuttle bus ride away.

Yes West has gone, I'm  pretty much the same as you re: Glastonbury, failed to get tickets for the first time this year and really didn't miss it that much, did smaller fests instead and they are so much easier, will be trying for tickets (depending on price) but won't be gutted if I don't get them.

I've had time to think about the Magical Sounds tent and the fact it will no longer be there. 

Having had some amazing times in that beautiful tent, along with many of my friends, I will be sad to see it go and only time will tell it will be a good or bad decision.

Knowing Phil personally since the start of Bearded, and how closely linked him and that tent were to the original festival organisers through friendship and love, I know this must be a massive blow for them, but could also be a relief too and I can only hope they do continue in another field.

I am happy for DHP to introduce their own take on a dance tent, again time will tell if that will work or not, but the decision not to have MS there is not a deal breaker for me to attend or not. 
Change is good sometimes and things do need mixed up to flourish and grow, I too doubted the Pirate Ship demise but Big Ed was a great replacement, and the Meadows was a fantastic addition last year.

A lot of people saying they won't go due to this change, I understand why but would also say why not give it a go, the festival does need to change, it is now run by a commercial venture and not a bunch of mates which did include Phil, surely it's better to have a different Bearded Theory than not at all. 

But if people do take that stance and say they are no longer going, I wish them well and hope they find the festival that suits their needs. 

Much love to Phil and his crew, hopefully our paths will cross again! x

Edited by Paul ™

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

I've had time to think about the Magical Sounds tent and the fact it will no longer be there. 

Having had some amazing times in that beautiful tent, along with many of my friends, I will be sad to see it go and only time will tell it will be a good or bad decision.

Knowing Phil personally since the start of Bearded, and how closely linked him and that tent were to the original festival organisers through friendship and love, I know this must be a massive blow for them, but could also be a relief too and I can only hope they do continue in another field.

I am happy for DHP to introduce their own take on a dance tent, again time will tell if that will work or not, but the decision not to have MS there is not a deal breaker for me to attend or not. 
Change is good sometimes and things do need mixed up to flourish and grow, I too doubted the Pirate Ship demise but Big Ed was a great replacement, and the Meadows was a fantastic addition last year.

A lot of people saying they won't go due to this change, I understand why but would also say why not give it a go, the festival does need to change, it is now run by a commercial venture and not a bunch of mates which did include Phil, surely it's better to have a different Bearded Theory than not at all. 

But if people do take that stance and say they are no longer going, I wish them well and hope they find the festival that suits their needs. 

Much love to Phil and his crew, hopefully our paths will cross again! x

Nicely put. I have no interest in dance music so never paid much attention to the line-up up for Magical Sounds but it did seem like a lot of the same names cropped up each year. Is that right or just because I only recognised a few?

Hopefully DHP will fill the gap for dance fans. After the success of this year, I have faith that whatever it is will be as popular as MS, probably better.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Nicely put. I have no interest in dance music so never paid much attention to the line-up up for Magical Sounds but it did seem like a lot of the same names cropped up each year. Is that right or just because I only recognised a few?

Hopefully DHP will fill the gap for dance fans. After the success of this year, I have faith that whatever it is will be as popular as MS, probably better.

There was a 40% 'repeat' most years (Ed Tangent, Oood, Flutatious, Ginge for example) but the punters seemed to like them.

Wait til they see someone like Carl Cox booked for the new tent - that will change  a lot of minds.

48 minutes ago, grayzer1 said:

Hi,this will be my first time at Bearded Theory. If I arrive on the Friday morning will I miss much on the Thursday? Holidays from work are tight next year but don't want to miss anything good!

You will miss all the music on the Thursday - whatever they book, time to chill and relax and explore.

Here is the 2023 clashfinder that shows what was on the Thursday - Big Ed also had music from 5pm but is not on it.

https://clashfinder.com/s/beardedtheory2023

It is also easier to find  a camping spot jn Thursday.

• Thanks 1

Even though it was fairly obvious capacity would not increase as it did not sell out last year many were questioning and moaning on Faceache................

So I just asked BT direct and got a quick reply like they tend to.

The capacity is not going up....................

but even that has not stopped some of the moaners from moaning and finding blame when there really is nothing to moan or complain about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2