williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

The more I see from pictures the worse it gets. If its because of cuts I'd rather they just had a bar / more food stalls. The little hut with the signs on and picnic benches is more appealing than some old cars stood up

History

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Young people today with their mobile phones and their TikToks just aren't impressed by some cars stood on their ends.

Back when we had to make our own entertainment we would be entranced for days on end by the magical sight of some cars arranged to resemble some paleoliths.

You're blatantly just going for word of the day

I'm quite looking forward to the new art installation. More so that there's music there every day, or some kind of performance. Think it's still going to be a big draw for people as a lot of punters like to chill out in that area if they were going into the old tent or not.

With the revamped Woodsies area, the new Levels stage, and the revamped WG area, I think there's a lot to be positive about.

It's not about the revamped space, and what that brings aesthetically and interactively. It's nice that there will be a field with some old cars, made to look like stone henge, to gawp at. Sure. But that will take me roughly 3 mins.

What about the 4 days of lost music curation, music that you won't find anywhere else at the festival.

And those who are saying there are other late night option, are also not getting the point. It's not about Guilty Pleasures. 

Glastonbury dropping WG is tantamount to them saying, we are no longer supporting up and coming or developing , left of centre / underground bands and acts.

It's not like them dropping a stage in Silver Hayes, where you can just pivot 90 degrees , and watch Leon Vynehall in the tent just across the way instead.

It uniquely catered for a certain brand of alternative music, that isn't replicated anywhere else. 

You might argue The Park. But Fat Boy Slim headling suggests it's not getting any more cutting edge up there.

Close to labouring this one, I appreciate. But I bloody love the festival, and am just v surprised and disappointed they've decided to make this move. 

Hopefully they see sense and revert next year. Otherwise it's a slippery slope

• Upvote 5

Having a Woodsies area that containted the main woodsies stage, BBC intro and another stage. Smaller two stages taking turns so no breaks between the two, timing sets with the main stage so those stages pick up traffic from the main stage leaving/approaching.

Almost a bit of a roadmap into the fest. Do the smallest one, BBC intro, then graduate to the main Woodsies.

Would make a nice alternative corner for people to spend more time in and maybe stay for 2-3 acts at a time.

• Like 1

I mean, people are talking about WG as if it was some kind of breakout tent, where if you made it there, you would go onto do bigger things. DC Fontaines, Amyl and the Sniffers etc, were already decently established or already on the way up when they played WG.

Ed Sheeran played Croissant Neuf before he made it. 

Adele played the Guardian Live Lounge.

There are other routes to making it at Glastonbury. 

I agree somewhat with the cheesy stuff that happened later at night, but I think they must have calculated that before they turned WG into CarHenge.

2 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

I did think this too but its just sounds funny 😂 ! This will be my 8th and there's still plenty of places I haven't visited once 

I'm going to count how many times I go to the toilet vs how many times I go to CarHenge now. Probably gonna be 50:1. Hahaha

9 minutes ago, august1 said:

Having a Woodsies area that containted the main woodsies stage, BBC intro and another stage. Smaller two stages taking turns so no breaks between the two, timing sets with the main stage so those stages pick up traffic from the main stage leaving/approaching.

Almost a bit of a roadmap into the fest. Do the smallest one, BBC intro, then graduate to the main Woodsies.

Would make a nice alternative corner for people to spend more time in and maybe stay for 2-3 acts at a time.

I think as the festival progresses, Woodsies will become more and more of a more comprehensive area. They've changed Levels, Woodsies as it is now, and CarHenge, but they can't do it all in one year. Next year and 2025 (can't remember when the fallow year is), they'll add more, tweak it a bit, and they'll be a stage between BBC Introducing and Woodsies in status.

1 hour ago, mr mister said:

It's not about the revamped space, and what that brings aesthetically and interactively. It's nice that there will be a field with some old cars, made to look like stone henge, to gawp at. Sure. But that will take me roughly 3 mins.

What about the 4 days of lost music curation, music that you won't find anywhere else at the festival.

And those who are saying there are other late night option, are also not getting the point. It's not about Guilty Pleasures. 

Glastonbury dropping WG is tantamount to them saying, we are no longer supporting up and coming or developing , left of centre / underground bands and acts.

It's not like them dropping a stage in Silver Hayes, where you can just pivot 90 degrees , and watch Leon Vynehall in the tent just across the way instead.

It uniquely catered for a certain brand of alternative music, that isn't replicated anywhere else. 

You might argue The Park. But Fat Boy Slim headling suggests it's not getting any more cutting edge up there.

Close to labouring this one, I appreciate. But I bloody love the festival, and am just v surprised and disappointed they've decided to make this move. 

Out of upvotes 👍

Without trying to upset anyone, I’ve seen the on end car pics and I’m bored already. Skip’s obviously ITK and I trust him when he says there will be more than just on end cars there but I’ll miss the venue and the decent upcoming bands they put on at sensible times, FDC, Snapped Ankles, Black Midi etc. 

1 hour ago, mr mister said:

Once again i echo every word

Especially the bits in bold. no other outlets for this, so its basically lost.

I hope they have retained the booker(s) or have them ready to return for next year but i wont hold my breath.

(Also think the leon vynehall bit was really funny, there must be about 15-20 stages someone like him could play and nobody would bat an eyelid)

and i really like Leon Vyenhall...

Snapped Ankles is a great example. Black Midi and Fontaines DC have gone on to bigger things and stages and good for them, but someone like Snapped Ankles are of a certain level and are niche will stay niche. If you're not seeing them at Williams Green, you're probably not seeing them at Glastonbury. 

I remember discovering Robocobra there last year. Brilliant.. sort of experimental ,jazzy , post -rock, Tortoise-eqsue band.. so good. 

Again, which stage is catering for that this year. Maybe you could argue lower down the bill at West Holts.. but that stuff gets lost in a big field. It's also about the intimacy of seeing these kind of band in a small tent.

Honestly, if they ditch the  Pigs x7 / warmduscher / Henge style slots from the Truth then it really is game over..

2 minutes ago, mr mister said:

Honestly, if they ditch the  Pigs x7 / warmduscher / Henge style slots from the Truth then it really is game over..

I know the person who books the acts for the Truth Stage, he has a very long history of booking the like. It’s totally safe while he’s still in charge. 

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

I hope they have retained the booker(s) or have them ready to return for next year but i wont hold my breath.

I'm reasonably certain that WG was booked by the central team at GFL.

My view is that's likely part of the reason that it was the place to lose out when cuts were made - essentially, they weren't taking away anyones baby.

8 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Remember the cause of all the issues we are getting now at the heart of it all . Tory cost of Living crisis and rampant inflation and profiteering . So I try and keep my blame on  the festival lower whilst everything is struggling around me 

So nothing to do with the war in Ukraine which has caused a cost of living crisis in most countries in Europe then (take a look at Germany for instance). The Tory party can be rightly blamed for a lot of things but maybe not that.

• Upvote 1