First Time

danbailey80

Hi

Stuff goes on until 2-2.30am generally. The Big Top has a (usually) electronic act followed by a DJ on Friday and Saturday - last year the Saturday was Ross From Friends live followed by I.Jordan DJ set, and this year the DJs are Elkka and Marie Davidson, with Overmono likely to do one of the live sets. There's more DJs in the woods until late into the night, while the Tipi hosts two or three secret unbilled sets every night bar Thursday, usually by people who played one of the bigger stages earlier but with the occasional surprise (BEAK> played their only set of the festival there last year, Black Midi did it before people really knew who they were, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker previewed songs from Boygenius' EP in 2018)

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Hi

Having not got tickets for Glasto this year I am thinking about EOTR for the first time this year. 

I was wondering what's it's like after the main stage has finished. Are there any areas for after hours, if so how late? DJs etc?

Anything similar to glasto?

TIA

I really enjoyed late night in the woods, it’s a beautiful festival 

• Upvote 1

Theres nothing after the main acts similar to Glasto. The festival is kind of a fancier version of the Park. Its gets very quiet about the place at midnight apart from the silent disco and bands playing in the Tipi. 

Its an earlier start earlier finish kind of place.

I will say, whilst not on the scale of Glastonbury, over the time I've been going (since 2018) the late night offering has improved immeasurably. Wondering around the woods is a delight, there's late night cinema screenings, the disco ship, the tipi, later DJs in the Big Top, the cider bus - they even have the odd person playing dance music later at night now too. It's not a full on rave, but you can keep yourself well amused until around 3am I find

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, robith said:

I will say, whilst not on the scale of Glastonbury, over the time I've been going (since 2018) the late night offering has improved immeasurably. Wondering around the woods is a delight, there's late night cinema screenings, the disco ship, the tipi, later DJs in the Big Top, the cider bus - they even have the odd person playing dance music later at night now too. It's not a full on rave, but you can keep yourself well amused until around 3am I find

Absolutely. To be honest unless you're into dance music theres not a whole lot to do at Glasto after midnight.

• Upvote 1

Karaoke in the woods is always a laugh too. Cinema tent is on until lateish as well I think. 

it’s nothing like Glastonbury but there’s enough to keep you going into the early hours.  

I always think of end of the road a bit like a big fete with music, drink and great food

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all. Also a first timer. Just bought my ticket, booked my flight from Dublin, absolutely buzzing. Loads on that lineup for me, can't wait.

A couple of quick questions. Myself and the brothers were due to fly in Friday morning till we noticed Wilco were on on the Thursday. Cue a quick change to a Thursday evening flight that gets us in to Southampton at 7.15. We're under serious pressure obviously. Is a taxi from Southampton Airport to the site a runner? 

Also, there'll be no time for faffing around with shopping expeditions. We'll arrive completely canless, a sorry state of affairs. Is there any way to rectify this on Friday morning? Is there anywhere to purchase cans onsite? Or just offsite?

Ta in advance lads. I've a million more questions but I'll leave ye with those as a warm up, we'll get into it properly over the next few weeks.

Edited by Stillill42

Hello, and welcome.

Don't know about taxis - expensive but doable if there are a few of you, probably. I quick google suggested a couple of online fare calculators or places to get quotes but I know nothing of them to recommend one.

You are going to be a bit pushed to make it for Wilco, but I would try to take a few minutes to stock up before you arrive. The shop on-site is very limited and I don't think there's anywhere within walkable distance to get cans. (Though to be fair I've never tried to do it, might just about be a little village shop somewhere? But the nearest of any size would be the supermarket at Shaftesbury, eight miles away.) I'd investigate whether there's any supermarkets near the airport or on route that would do click and collect on Thursday evening so you could keep time to a minimum.

Sorry if that's not very helpful, others may have better ideas.

• Upvote 1

Taxi from Salisbury station was about £60 from memory and that's 21 miles. Soton airport is 38 so I'd expect it to be chunky. I'd find one in Southampton and pre book it.

Click and collect a good idea above, but also surely those cans are gonna be wretched hot, no? Why not exploit the UK leaving the EU and get some duty free hard liquour and get some cold beers on site? I appreciate that's not taking into account cost

9 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Evening all. Also a first timer. Just bought my ticket, booked my flight from Dublin, absolutely buzzing. Loads on that lineup for me, can't wait.

A couple of quick questions. Myself and the brothers were due to fly in Friday morning till we noticed Wilco were on on the Thursday. Cue a quick change to a Thursday evening flight that gets us in to Southampton at 7.15. We're under serious pressure obviously. Is a taxi from Southampton Airport to the site a runner? 

Also, there'll be no time for faffing around with shopping expeditions. We'll arrive completely canless, a sorry state of affairs. Is there any way to rectify this on Friday morning? Is there anywhere to purchase cans onsite? Or just offsite?

Ta in advance lads. I've a million more questions but I'll leave ye with those as a warm up, we'll get into it properly over the next few weeks.

Taxi will cost about £100. Was £80 a few years ago when we got an uber. Defo pre book. Southampton airport is a ghost town at times.

You'll do very well to make Wilco for 9pm, having done that flight/drive myself before. Flight lands at 7.15. Assuming its not delayed, by the time you get the bags and get out it'll be 8pm. Its an hour drive to the festival site and then another 30 mins to get in, find a place to camp, drop the bags etc. Never mind putting the tent up. They'll be on at 9pm ish I reckon so you may catch the last half at best. 

The only way to get cans etc is to leave on Friday morning and get a taxi to Shaftsbury, ask them to wait in the carpark while you stock up and drop you back. Theres nothing walkable. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Taxi will cost about £100. Was £80 a few years ago when we got an uber. Defo pre book. Southampton airport is a ghost town at times.

You'll do very well to make Wilco for 9pm, having done that flight/drive myself before. Flight lands at 7.15. Assuming its not delayed, by the time you get the bags and get out it'll be 8pm. Its an hour drive to the festival site and then another 30 mins to get in, find a place to camp, drop the bags etc. Never mind putting the tent up. They'll be on at 9pm ish I reckon so you may catch the last half at best. 

The only way to get cans etc is to leave on Friday morning and get a taxi to Shaftsbury, ask them to wait in the carpark while you stock up and drop you back. Theres nothing walkable. 

Cheers Nal. We're in a pre pitched tent and my sister is coming down from Glasgow,  gets in a bit earlier so can check us in, that should speed up the process a bit. Look, we'll do what we can, if we make it, great, if not, I've another 60 acts I like the look of over the weekend. Plus, I've Wilco in the Olympia the following Friday. One of the brothers is a big fan and it's his only chance to catch them. We'll leave it in the lap of the Gods.

40 minutes ago, robith said:

Taxi from Salisbury station was about £60 from memory and that's 21 miles. Soton airport is 38 so I'd expect it to be chunky. I'd find one in Southampton and pre book it.

Click and collect a good idea above, but also surely those cans are gonna be wretched hot, no? Why not exploit the UK leaving the EU and get some duty free hard liquour and get some cold beers on site? I appreciate that's not taking into account cost

Cheers Robith. Yeah, I think a couple of cold ones onsite will have to do. What time do the bars close? I see there's a bit of late night activity. Are they still serving after midnight?

43 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Cheers Nal. We're in a pre pitched tent and my sister is coming down from Glasgow,  gets in a bit earlier so can check us in, that should speed up the process a bit. Look, we'll do what we can, if we make it, great, if not, I've another 60 acts I like the look of over the weekend. Plus, I've Wilco in the Olympia the following Friday. One of the brothers is a big fan and it's his only chance to catch them. We'll leave it in the lap of the Gods.

Ah yeah that helps. In that case you may get lucky. Best thing in that case is to walk straight in and dump the bags in the lock ups beside the Woods stage where Wilco are on. Go to the tent after which (I think) is off to the bottom right of below.

EOTR2022-map.png

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Ah yeah that helps. In that case you may get lucky. Best thing in that case is to walk straight in and dump the bags in the lock ups beside the Woods stage where Wilco are on. Go to the tent after which (I think) is off to the bottom right of below.

EOTR2022-map.png

That sounds like a plan.

2 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Cheers Robith. Yeah, I think a couple of cold ones onsite will have to do. What time do the bars close? I see there's a bit of late night activity. Are they still serving after midnight?

yeah, there's stuff on till like 3am? I'm a hound for the sesh and I've never thought "damn, I can't get a drink"

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Also my first time at EOTR- the bbc glasto coverage has got me psyched for my first full weekend festival since the pandemic. What’s the shower situation like in general camping? Also what’s the camping vibe in general? Is it raucous or pretty chilled out?

There are showers but queues are long. Camping is very chilled out, lovely vibe.

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Also my first time at EOTR- the bbc glasto coverage has got me psyched for my first full weekend festival since the pandemic. What’s the shower situation like in general camping? Also what’s the camping vibe in general? Is it raucous or pretty chilled out?

Showers are a breeze if you go in the afternoon. Never understood why people queue for ages in the morning. 

Camping isn't that raucous but like any festival there will be some people who are louder than others. You can camp in quieter areas if you need to. If the layout is the same as the last couple of years there's absolutely loads of space in a field behind Family camping.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:42 PM, Stillill42 said:

That sounds like a plan.

We come from Dublin via Bristol and the flight is often delayed so I hope Southampton is more punctual for you. I know you've eaten a flight change already but the best option we've found is fly into Bristol Wednesday, stay the night in the Premier Inn across from the bus station and get the 8.55am National Express to the festival. You can get cans in the Bristol Tesco then. 

There's a 6.30am flight Thursday morning that should also get you on that bus but again you're at the mercy of the flights being on time and the traffic from the Airport to Bristol (which I heard is currently awful). 

We've also gotten trains from Bristol to Salisbury and then a coach from there but not since the pandemic so dunno what the situation is now. It was odd in 21 when we looked last is all I remember.

FWIW I've definitely got closed cans from the bars in the festival in the past (at bar prices though). Last year up by the Ferris wheel there was a place with a big variety and the bar by the main stage has sold me whatever that years brewery was in a can too.

• Thanks 1