Documentary's and Films about Glastonbury Festival

William Mann

50 minutes ago, William Mann said:

Well what do we think are the best docs about the festival? There are certainly a few to choose from. Also hope this chat can help resurface lost films including Glastonbury by Julien Fellows... can't find it anywhere!

Hi William. I ordered this from Amazon 2 weeks ago. Got it delivered to my local Morrisons the next day.

26 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Showdown at Glastonbury is my favourite. Seeing how knife edge things were, and I thought the documentary was fair to both sides

Even today, on the current planning application you will find objections in the name of ‘Goode’.  Anne Goode has now passed away but the family are still carrying on her fight! 

10 hours ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Showdown at Glastonbury is my favourite. Seeing how knife edge things were, and I thought the documentary was fair to both sides

to this day i still think this is the best recorded document of the festival.

it somehow manages to capture an atmosphere that no other film or documentary has done.

i first saw it 30 odd years ago and i still watch it now - just the opening credits have the ability to bring a tear to the eye!

2 hours ago, -TLR- said:

it somehow manages to capture an atmosphere that no other film or documentary has done.

i first saw it 30 odd years ago and i still watch it now - just the opening credits have the ability to bring a tear to the eye!

I think because largely most of the film is recorded outside the festival, and mostly focuses on the people running and living near it.....really does show the other side to having a major event held by your home that's not used to that sort of thing.....as much as we love the festival there's no doubt (for me at least) that during the 80s and early 90s it was carnage for those living close by. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:34 AM, -TLR- said:

I have the theme song on my playlist.  It’s synonymous with the festival for me.

The series was filmed at my first Glastonbury.

I had to laugh while watching Fisherman's Friends: One And All (the fictionalised film of the band's origin) yesterday. There’s a significant scene where they perform on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury. The real band first played the Pyramid Stage in 2011, a very wet year, but in the film it's glorious sunshine! To undermine this there’s a post-credits scene of the real band at Glasto, which features a lot more mud 😄

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:51 AM, gooner1990 said:

I think because largely most of the film is recorded outside the festival, and mostly focuses on the people running and living near it.....really does show the other side to having a major event held by your home that's not used to that sort of thing.....as much as we love the festival there's no doubt (for me at least) that during the 80s and early 90s it was carnage for those living close by. 

But it does also show the phenomenal effort and energy he and the festival put into keeping the locals and Mendip DC on side. 

There's plenty written elsewhere here about the long list of things he's done for the local area. 

On 3/28/2023 at 10:04 PM, Jakeyboi135 said:

Thanx for this! I'd never heard of it, but managed to watch it on YouTube during the night. It really makes you think about how it must affect the locals, especially back then! A very impartial documentary.