Difference between regular tickets and Hospitality?

FestiHead

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's not a cliche, it's what it's known as. 

No, it’s what it’s known as to the old school and hippies who don’t like the mainstream area of the festival. That’s why it’s a cliche. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

No, it’s what it’s known as to the old school and hippies who don’t like the mainstream area of the festival. That’s why it’s a cliche. 

I don’t think it’s always used in a negative way.. I’ve been attending since 97 and Babylon to me means the main busy core of the festival, not necessarily because it is worse than the green fields or wherever, but because it’s wilder and where the party is happening.. it’s a term of endearment 😜

8 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I don’t think it’s always used in a negative way.. I’ve been attending since 97 and Babylon to me means the main busy core of the festival, not necessarily because it is worse than the green fields or wherever, but because it’s wilder and where the party is happening.. it’s a term of endearment 😜

This is new to me, certainly not what most folks I know mean when using the term Babylon.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I remember talking to Michael about it and he said to me "True dem say - Babylon nuh uh irie ting an mi nah guh. Him full a crazy baldheads."

Then he started bogling and repeating "A biddly biddly bong" over and over again.

😂

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Been through this countless times.

It's a different scene among the old school SE corner crew, almost like a family gathering over 10 days, some old friends I only see at Glastonbury these days. Hanging out, full meals in caravans, motorhomes, Tipis etc.

Aside from that there's enough music I like and I love having a dance midnight.

For sure I can do without Pyramid (except occasional band), Acoustic (not been since 1985), Avalon, SH (since The Blues went) and ain't a fan of anything north of Yeoman's Bridge.

But then there's plenty I love as well: WH, Glade, SE corner, Green Fields etc

Difficult to explain, but it's a very different experience.

Thanks for the reply, that makes perfect sense! When you're limited to a period of time when the festival hasn't necessarily evolved all that much in the grand scheme of things like I have been (I've only been going since 2008), it's interesting to get a perspective from someone who's experienced major changes. And that was why I asked you both the question. You're both quite vocal about a lot of the things you dislike, I just wondered what brings you back, despite much of the modern side of the festival seemingly not being for you. Thank you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neil said:

its the standard reference, it needs that specific reference so people know which area is being talked about.

Which is why it’s on absolutely no maps whatsoever. 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

despite much of the modern side of the festival seemingly not being for you. Thank you.

The interesting thing here, for me, is that there have also been IMO, a lot of positive changes over the decades. I Iove the relatively recent developments in the night time scene. The was a time when it was quite tricky to find much to do after midnight, unless you had backstage access. This led to a lot of DIY entertainment, something which I've bemoaned the lack of. A lot of it was soundsystems (techno/rave), which unfortunately had to be shut down at risk of losing the licence. Eventually GFL realised that they would have to embrance the "dance scene" and provide after hours entertainment, a positive development IMO. I've also at times moaned about the lack of edge to the event and still do at times, the flipsid eto this is that the event is a lot cleaner and safer.

It's a tricky one.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Which is why it’s on absolutely no maps whatsoever. 

Maybe, because it's not an official designation, it is as you rightly point out a derogatory term term used by "old school" crew types and "die hard" hippies.

I make no apologies for my use of this term.

Edited by Skip997

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The Julien Temple "Glastonbury After Hours" documentary addresses the term "Babylon" exactly how @stuie describes it. Many of the team from the Green Fields and SEC use it to apparently disparagingly describe the more "popular" areas, such as the Pyramid. 

This is the truth of the matter to this very day.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

You’re contradicting yourself now.
Goodnight 😂

and so are you, i said babylon, and you knew where i meant despite it never having been used on a map. And why are you so bothered?

20 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Noooooooooooooo! I've just become a pawn in his evil game. What have I become 😳

It could be worse - you could, I guess, be a prawn in his evil game. Mind you, that would be a little shellfish.

Oh fuck me - even I know that one's off side! What can I say? I'll get help. I'm so sorry.

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

The interesting thing here, for me, is that there have also been IMO, a lot of positive changes over the decades. I Iove the relatively recent developments in the night time scene. The was a time when it was quite tricky to find much to do after midnight, unless you had backstage access. This led to a lot of DIY entertainment, something which I've bemoaned the lack of. A lot of it was soundsystems (techno/rave), which unfortunately had to be shut down at risk of losing the licence. Eventually GFL realised that they would have to embrance the "dance scene" and provide after hours entertainment, a positive development IMO. I've also at times moaned about the lack of edge to the event and still do at times, the flipsid eto this is that the event is a lot cleaner and safer.

It's a tricky one.

My first three or four Glastonburys (2004-2008) I quite enjoyed wandering around enjoying the bar stalls/food stalls etc playing music and people just hovering about and dancing and chatting till the small hours.  Once the SEC really took off then it dwindled somewhat along with the tradition a fire back at your camp which I think for us died out after 2008 (although we did randomly have one in 2014 on the Sunday night much to the annoyance of our neighbours who complained about the smoke!)  I used to like everyone tricling back over an hour or so after the headliners swapping stories about their day.  Now it feels like everyone is on their phones shouting at each other to make their way over to whatever area/stage/bar to make sure they stick together. 

I think for me what a lot of people who did festivals years ago don’t like is the lack of spontaneity that now goes on, and I notice that a lot of festivals, yes there is more music/entertainment late at night, but its also controlled rather than as you put it ‘DIY entertainment’ which was perhaps more organic and left a lasting impression. 

I could tell you more random festival stories about the years when we were doing our own thing late at night rather than the more recent ones when we seem to now just standing at a stage or in a tent for a DJ gurning away and not much else going on.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My first three or four Glastonburys (2004-2008) I quite enjoyed wandering around enjoying the bar stalls/food stalls etc playing music and people just hovering about and dancing and chatting till the small hours.  Once the SEC really took off then it dwindled somewhat along with the tradition a fire back at your camp which I think for us died out after 2008 (although we did randomly have one in 2014 on the Sunday night much to the annoyance of our neighbours who complained about the smoke!)  I used to like everyone tricling back over an hour or so after the headliners swapping stories about their day.  Now it feels like everyone is on their phones shouting at each other to make their way over to whatever area/stage/bar to make sure they stick together. 

I think for me what a lot of people who did festivals years ago don’t like is the lack of spontaneity that now goes on, and I notice that a lot of festivals, yes there is more music/entertainment late at night, but its also controlled rather than as you put it ‘DIY entertainment’ which was perhaps more organic and left a lasting impression. 

I could tell you more random festival stories about the years when we were doing our own thing late at night rather than the more recent ones when we seem to now just standing at a stage or in a tent for a DJ gurning away and not much else going on.

I can see what you mean, although for me those times were the best part of two decades ago and those days are gone. 

It's not practical for lots of folks to have fires like we used to, simply too many tents for the quantity there used to be.

Also as they covered in the fiftieth anniversary film - whilst people made their own fun getting fecked and dancing amongst the food stalls back then, things moved on and these days there's an audience that want a variety of stuff to do.