Metal at Glastonbury 2023

jonday81

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Goat played in 2013 I think? They're great. Would love to see them again. 

I'd be up for that. Tribute in the sunshine would be a moment.

The biggest problem Tenacious D have is that, despite their great vibes, they probably only have four or five songs that the passing rock fan knows and even less that a casual observer may be inclined to. (I think that's a fair assessment?)

Tribute and Wonderboy the obvious standouts. Get that Sax-a-Boom out for a skit too.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

The biggest problem Tenacious D have is that, despite their great vibes, they probably only have four or five songs that the passing rock fan knows and even less that a casual observer may be inclined to. (I think that's a fair assessment?)

Tribute and Wonderboy the obvious standouts. Get that Sax-a-Boom out for a skit too.

Yeah I don't think they have that wide appeal really. Mind you, a bit like Spinal Tap maybe in the sort of novelty act category?

I have actually seen them before at one of their gigs and it was a lot of fun. I think a lot of people would go along out of curiosity to see Jack Black.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I don't think they have that wide appeal really. Mind you, a bit like Spinal Tap maybe in the sort of novelty act category?

I have actually seen them before at one of their gigs and it was a lot of fun. I think a lot of people would go along out of curiosity to see Jack Black.

That's the thing, isn't it? Kind of a modern-day Spinal Tap for many casual observers, and that could work to their advantage.

The trick might be handing them one of the shorter slots you could have. Maybe even a Pyramid opener on the Saturday, with forty minutes or so.

Would be a hard push with dates in the Netherlands on the Thursday and Greece the following Tuesday, but wouldn't mind a spot of Parkway Drive. Plant them early afternoon on the Saturday on the Other (whether they'd accept such a slot is another question, of course) and have them rattle a few skulls.

Glitch
Prey
Carrion
The Void
Vice Grip
The Greatest Fear
Darker Still
10 Bottom Feeder
11 Crushed
12 Wild Eyes

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would be a hard push with dates in the Netherlands on the Thursday and Greece the following Tuesday, but wouldn't mind a spot of Parkway Drive. Plant them early afternoon on the Saturday on the Other (whether they'd accept such a slot is another question, of course) and have them rattle a few skulls.

Glitch
Prey
Carrion
The Void
Vice Grip
The Greatest Fear
Darker Still
10 Bottom Feeder
11 Crushed
12 Wild Eyes

Damn that would be amazing!

7 hours ago, Troop Dogg said:

Would love to see Tool, Rammstein or Slipknot headline The Other stage. Can't imagine that will ever happen though! Whenever metal bands are booked they always seem to go down well - have seen NIN, Deftones, Gojira, Metallica etc all knock it out the park there over the years.

0% chance on the first two. Slipknot might do it for the laugh but they play Donnington roughly once every 3 years for a good payday so quite unlikely 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jonday81 said:

Damn that would be amazing!

It's an odd one. I see them as future Download headliners in the not-too-distant future and therefore wonder if they would consider Glastonbury at all. (Once you top Download, you're arguably at headliner level for plenty of the other major festivals across the country.)

But if they are significantly below the Download headliner threshold, then their booking would be an excellent one.

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

0% chance on the first two. Slipknot might do it for the laugh but they play Donnington roughly once every 3 years for a good payday so quite unlikely 

Have to admit, couldn't see Slipknot playing unless somebody was mad enough to offer them top slot on the Pyramid. Conversely, could see Corey Taylor playing a slot.

57 minutes ago, jonday81 said:

I reckon we could see Parkway headlining Download on the next album cycle, especially now they finally caved and bumped BMTH to headliner.

Very glad they have, though after BMTH topped R+L, they really had no excuse not to.

56 minutes ago, jonday81 said:

On a Glastonbury note, do metal bands play on the bigger stages or do they play the smaller areas? I know Earache used to curate a stage/area. Did they do that last year?

Erm, good question. Recall BMTH and Babymetal were Other stage acts.

3 hours ago, jonday81 said:

On a Glastonbury note, do metal bands play on the bigger stages or do they play the smaller areas? I know Earache used to curate a stage/area. Did they do that last year?

Earache stage wasn’t there last year, but they did put a few bands on the Truth stage (Bob Vylan, Pigsx7, Nova twins, Dub war) and hopefully the earache express will be back in one form or another - whether a small stage again or back to the absolute madness of the tube train 🤘

• Like 1

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Earache stage wasn’t there last year, but they did put a few bands on the Truth stage (Bob Vylan, Pigsx7, Nova twins, Dub war) and hopefully the earache express will be back in one form or another - whether a small stage again or back to the absolute madness of the tube train 🤘

Interesting take.

I've never had Bob Vylan down as a metal band.

Bob Vylan are an English duo based in London who play a style merging elements of grime, punk rock and hip hop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Vylan

Dub War ended up falling victim to the great Friday clashageddon of 2022.  Mainly because The Damned pulled out, as they were one of my Friday slots that worked perfectly with seeing Dub War.  With them gone I went on a different path. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but possibly an error.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:16 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Jack Black's saxaboom bit on Jimmy Fallon is a go-to vid when I need to smile.

1, 2, 3 MOTHERFUCKER!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dub War ended up falling victim to the great Friday clashageddon of 2022.  Mainly because The Damned pulled out, as they were one of my Friday slots that worked perfectly with seeing Dub War.  With them gone I went on a different path. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but possibly an error.

I'm a big fan of Reef who replaced The Damned. Going from Dub War straight into Reef with a minimal walk, on 2 of my favourite stages, was a great evening. 

17 hours ago, BenG92 said:

I don't know much about them but I get the impression they would consider doing it for the prestige. They know it would be a huge booking for Glastonbury if they played like 3rd down Pyramid or headlined Other. Could always couple it with their own shows for the money. 

If Metallica were happy with Other headline to tick the festival off, and Aerosmith were coming over for a secret set, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:00 AM, Troop Dogg said:

Would love to see Tool, Rammstein or Slipknot headline The Other stage. Can't imagine that will ever happen though! Whenever metal bands are booked they always seem to go down well - have seen NIN, Deftones, Gojira, Metallica etc all knock it out the park there over the years.

Tool have to play again one year. I missed them last time as I was watching the Spin Doctors instead, if they don't play again I'll never get over this awful mistake. 

• Like 1