“Returning to the fields…”

Matt42

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

It’s ego stroking BS. Avoid.

Glastonbury unfortunately is not above it

11 hours ago, kalifire said:

I expect Coachella does this because Calvin Harris’s people demanded something that set him apart from the undercard. Or maybe they did it in lieu of a higher payout? Either way it’ll all be part of the maddening negotiations between festival and artist management. I doubt it’s a direction Glastonbury will want to go down, purely because of the added complexity that brings and the opportunity for demands.  

But they’ve done similar things before - if this grows as a trend it may become inevitable 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Doesn't your mention of Janet Jackson undermine your premise, as wasn't that what she did? 

Don’t know what you mean. If anything it supports my point where Glasto bent and gave a non headlining act a billing on the top line of the poster.

Doing it A-Z avoids exactly this, acts play Glastonbury because it benefits them, that is enough in itself.

The could be the very odd occasional requirement to do something similar to appease a particularly ego driven act, but in the main these will be headliners anyway so it would largely irrelevant.

Pretty much all festivals other than Glasontbury need to hand over a large chunk of cash to book acts, that’s why the acts do it, they have no interest in doing the festival itself, it’s just a payday. It stand to reason that under those circumstances they’ll also try and get a better billing on the lineup while they’re at it, because it’s about how much they can get from the festival.

Acts play Glastonbury for very different reasons. 

Edited by Jose Pose

21 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’d like to think if they managed to secure Pulp this year or the next time they book the Chemical Brothers we could see it.

Two of the acts that would care the least about this kind of shit.

Special font for chems 5th? other headline slot 😂

edit: 6th other headline slot, sorry!

Edited by gfa

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Two of the acts that would care the least about this kind of shit.

Special font for chems 5th? other headline slot 😂

edit: 6th other headline slot, sorry!

How about

Returning to the farm - Florence and the Machine the next time she plays.

Sort of makes her coming back to a non-headlining position a bigger deal and look less like a step down.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No I know what you’re referring to but I don’t know what you mean.

My point is that what happened with Janet completely strengthens my argument… I don’t get what you mean by how it weakens it.

But it doesn’t, because it was her team who changed the poster not Glastonbury?

Just now, Jose Pose said:

But it doesn’t, because it was her team who changed the poster not Glastonbury?

What are you on about. They moved her to the front but she was still up on the top line next to Kylie, despite her actual billing being 3rd down pyramid.

She was billed as a headliner for 2019 despite not being one. Thus proving that Glastonbury is not immune from pushy agent egos at all.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How about

Returning to the farm - Florence and the Machine the next time she plays.

Sort of makes her coming back to a non-headlining position a bigger deal and look less like a step down.

Thats more like it yep!

At the same time though I think glasto is just fine without doing this. They don't really do special guests either unlike pretty much everywhere else - the most you get next to an act's name is DJ Set generally!

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What are you on about. They moved her to the front but she was still up on the top line next to Kylie, despite her actual billing being 3rd down pyramid.

She was billed as a headliner for 2019 despite not being one. Thus proving that Glastonbury is not immune from pushy agent egos at all.

No they didn’t, that was only on her Twitter, it wasn’t anywhere else.

Didn't something similar happen with the chemical brothers in 22. There was a mystery guest on arcadia that got it's own announcement that turned out to be them. 

So special billing to soothe egos and get the booking does already happen it's just not quite as on your nose as perhaps other festivals have done it. 

Give all the acts a strip of cloakroom tickets, put the counterpart tickets in one of these;

Raffle / Tombola Drum : Amazon.co.uk: Everything Else

Then draw out tickets one at a time. This will be the order from the top of the poster, down. All font to be the same size.

PS - I get excited when I see a tombola on the horizon. By the time I'm in front of it, I'm almost pleasuring myself. 

43 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Didn't something similar happen with the chemical brothers in 22. There was a mystery guest on arcadia that got it's own announcement that turned out to be them. 

So special billing to soothe egos and get the booking does already happen it's just not quite as on your nose as perhaps other festivals have done it. 

That was just a secret set - think they only announced it because literally everyone knew it was them

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

No I know what you’re referring to but I don’t know what you mean.

My point is that what happened with Janet completely strengthens my argument… I don’t get what you mean by how it weakens it.

Matt, I get what you're saying - she was added to the end of the top row, but everyone is talking about how her team moved her to the start, making it seem like she was an actual headliner. That's what everyone thinks of they hear a reference to Jackson's poster placement, not the fact that she was one the top row in the first place.

It's the fact that anything to do with Janet Jackson's placement is now a source of ridicule that I think weakens the argument for doing more of this in the future.

Still, shenanigans aside, your point stands, Glastonbury have added a non-headliner to the top row of the poster because she's a big name, even if she didn't play top of the bill or legend slot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Matt, I get what you're saying - she was added to the end of the top row, but everyone is talking about how her team moved her to the start, making it seem like she was an actual headliner. That's what everyone thinks of they hear a reference to Jackson's poster placement, not the fact that she was one the top row in the first place.

It's the fact that anything to do with Janet Jackson's placement is now a source of ridicule that I think weakens the argument for doing more of this in the future.

Still, shenanigans aside, your point stands, Glastonbury have added a non-headliner to the top row of the poster because she's a big name, even if she didn't play top of the bill or legend slot.

But one freak instance of Janet amending the poster doesn’t mean they will never do that again. If Janet didn’t do anything she’d still be a non-headlining act listed at the top of the bill.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

She was fifth place on the top row of the 2019 lineup poster when it was announced.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-2019-line-up-so-far/

I think Matt is reading too much into this and it could have just been for typography reasons… the other names are short. 

35 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think Matt is reading too much into this and it could have just been for typography reasons… the other names are short. 

I think he's right. She's not a big draw now, but historically has been a huge name. Given what happened later, I can't believe there wasn't some negotiation around where she'd be billed.

3 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Somewhere in the country, there's a home full of shell shocked ex tombola operators.

It's especially bad at church fêtes! I've lost track of the times I've been arrested at them! lol

Right - what follows is a true tombola story. Spoken from my perspective (but copied and pasted from way back) but slightly altered - to protect the guilty! 

That reminds me of the time when me, X and Y had a party at my folks house in (a place in Birmingham)' way back when we were young. The parents had gone to Ireland on holiday. Anyway, just before they went away my dad found a plasterer bloke a job because he was struggling for work.. The bloke, in return, had bought my dad a 4.5 litre bottle of whisky as a thank you. After the party finished the next day we (me and two of my brothers - X and Y) noticed that the bottle had gone missing - presumably stolen by some bandit at the party. 

The following day we all went up to the church fete (Lord knows why!). Anyway, at the tombola stall I noticed that they had a 4.5 litre bottle of whiskey identical to my dad's bottle available to win,. So, me, X and Y started buying tombola tickets like possessed men. We blew all our available money, and never won the bottle. Got a lot of shit aftershave and the like, mind.

When our mom and dad came back from Ireland we decided to confess to my dad that we'd had a party and that his bottle of whisky had been stolen. And then my mom said something along the lines of ' How could it have been stolen? I gave it to the local church for their tombola before we went away. FFS!
  • Like 1