Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

On 3/23/2024 at 1:57 PM, The Nal said:

Apart from a couple of years entering through Gate D I dont think Ive ever been over that side of the site. Nothing there but campsites right?

Im arriving and leaving at PGA Wednesday afternoon anyway so Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln again. 

if your in Hitchin, we'll keep an eye out for you - our staff camping is in the lower section of Hitchin - across the Pilton Bypass - well it was last year

1 hour ago, Chazeboy said:

if your in Hitchin, we'll keep an eye out for you - our staff camping is in the lower section of Hitchin - across the Pilton Bypass - well it was last year

Yeah give me a bell! Great you got sorted again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for off-site pre-erected camping, it looks like Tangerine Fields have some 1-2 man tents available from folks that decided not to pay their balance.
I was very happy there last year and am booked again for this year, so can recommend.

Edit: Err, maybe not. Clicking through still shows out-of-stock. But if you're in need, keep an eye open.

Edited by Mike A

We ended up in lime kiln last year because Wicket was all family camping.. so wondering whether wicket will be back in use this year (there seemed to be so much unused space last time maybe they’ll leave a section as general camping again). 

Not sure I can be bothered to trek any further from Gate A.. lime kiln was perfectly fine, the view is good and neighbours were nice, liked calling in at San Remo on the way home every night. 

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve got two options this year….

We’ll be setting off after the school run on Thursday so realistically on site midday to 1pm.

Option 1

Find a spot on the outskirts somewhere near gate D. 

Option 2

Get our tent sent to friends who are staying in the Camper Van close to gate B, they will then bring our tent in for us on Wed morning and find a spot in Big Ground. 

Will wait until more of the line is up so we can see where we’re likely to spend more time, but as it stands it’ll be option B. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:26 AM, Ncahir94 said:

Does anyone have any experience camping at park home ground,oxlyers or pennards? Camped at big ground last year with a view of The pryamid which was great but was a bit far from literally everything else and food options etc. really liking the other stage lineup and want to see more at the park. barely made it to the hill or the sign at all last year either. What about noise levels at those camps. Thanks. Any recommendations are welcome 

I've camped in Pennards every year since I started going. Have done 6 festivals there and up until last year, had no problems at all, sleeping soundly every night. Last year was especially noisy, though. One or two people literally shouting as loud as they could at 5am, and people generally talking/partying right through the night like it was in the middle of the afternoon.

I haven't experienced it that bad before, and am certainly thinking of changing locations this year.

Edited by kalifire

On 3/22/2024 at 10:04 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I pitched up in Darble last year, literally next to PGA and the fence. Can't see me ever changing again, to be honest. Yeah, the walk back is longer (but that's all part of the adventure, strolling back from the south east corner at the early hours, diverting here and there) but getting out on the Monday morning was a doddle and I was on the road within 30 minutes of packing up. Loads of room and very quiet when you want it to be, too.

You make a compelling case for Darble. The long walk back to the tent, and feeling like I've not really camped in the ferstival 'proper' (compared to Pennards, my only camping experience) is what's put me off, and they still feel like legitimate reasons, but I'm going to think about Darble, mainly because:

1. Getting a good spot at Pennards necessitates an arrival at PGA in the very early morning, about 4/5am (which involves getting up even earlier). That used to be OK but the last couple of years it's had a big impact on my energy levels throughout the festival. Arriving on Wednesday afternoon, as a friend did a couple of years ago, should mean no queue at all, and still plenty of space in those outer fields adjacent to PGA.

2. I catch the first train back from Castle Cary on the Monday morning, so basically pull an all-nighter on Sunday. I don't want to pack up my tent/stuff in the dark at Pennards and carry it across site at that time, so I do that on Sunday morning and put it in the lock up next to PGA ready to collect when I leave. That can take up precious prime-time hours on Sunday. Camping in Darble or close by means there's no need to put anything in a lock up, and I could enjoy all that Sunday has to offer.

So overall, I'd lose Wednesday morning (but get a proper sleep on Tuesday night), have more energy over the course of the festival, enjoy more of Sunday, appreciate a quieter field, and leave with fewer issues. The price I pay is a long walk back every night or if I need to go back to the tent for some reason. That and the psychological sense that I'm walking to/from the festival rather than actually being in it, if that makes sense.

Edited by kalifire