Which expected Pyramid Headliners have you seen Live before?

gfa

Which expected Pyramid Headliners have you seen Live before?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Just curious! Who have you seen before?

• Arctic Monkeys
    • Guns N Roses
    • Elton John

Never seen GnR

Arctic Monkeys once at TRNSMT in 2018 - I thought they were fine, but I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't been suffering with heat exhaustion from earlier on in the day. 

Elton John in Inverness back in 2007, it was my first gig & only went because Elton gave the hotel where my dad worked a bunch of free tickets. From what I remember, I loved it! I was only 11, so I was surprised when I ended up recognising every song he played. 

Saw gnr at Reading a few years back, the one that he got kicked off stage at the end.

Saw Elton at the Hop Farm about 10 years ago, strangely small gathering, about 2000 punters I'd say. He put an amazing show on then vanished into the horizon on his helicopter.

Saw GnR at their infamous Donington gig in '88. They were great (had just released AFD and were flying high) but the gig was memorable for all the wrong reasons (not GnR's fault), certainly one I will never forget, and one of the many reasons I am v careful in crowds everywhere even at Glasto.

First saw Arctic Monkeys at The Exchange in Edinburgh back in 2005, and have seen them quite a few time since at various venues.  Assuming I saw them headline Glastonbury the first time round, but didn't watch them last time out.  Not hugely excited about The Car live sadly.

Have never seen GNR and never would due to my loathing of their lead "singer".  Would like to see Elton, much in the same way I had to go along for some of Macca last year (though I had seen him the first time he headlined).

Just need to find a way to be at the festival now!

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You have to admire Reg’s commitment to ticking off all 92 league grounds.

Ha ha!  Yeah I think he did do a fair few on that tour.  He was actually very engaging and wished the Town well for getting promotion from League 2.  He also spoke very movingly about a local lad who had bought his family tickets for Christmas and had then sadly died of cancer before the concert came round (he was my son's friend so very poignant).

£30 (or possibly £35) was the cheapest ticket but as it is a small stadium, it was still a great view and we were about 3/4 of the way back on the pitchside.  He did all the bangers and it was a great night.  Not often I get to see a world superstar a ten minute drive from home!

• 1 month later...

Talking this one as Arctic Monkeys, Guns 'n Roses and Elton John?

All three then.

Arctic Monkeys - Leeds Festival, 2022. The most crammed set of the weekend, with a strong start and finish. Heavy lull - the kind fatal for a younger-leaning festival crowd - in the middle though, with just a couple of cuts enlivening a previously mad-fer-it audience before it rose again in the final stretches.

Guns 'n' Roses - London Stadium, 2017. A mammoth three-hour set of hard rock and power ballad excess made more of a slog by a particularly ill-mixed soundsystem, but also missing the typical lairy flaws of a GNR show of yestertyear, by all accounts. Rose and Slash on excellent form, five stars from The Guardian.

Elton John - Hyde Park, 2016; First Direct Arena, 2017; Stadium of Light, 2022. Three different shows, and despite the Lore of Dill Danding, each increasingly better than the last. Probably helped by the setlist on each occasion; conversely, though likely the best for performance, Sunderland boasted the worst crowd.

Think if I was off to the farm this year, would swing by the latter two. Have a hunch they'd deliver on "moments" more than Arctic Monkeys.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, sauceageroll said:

Arctic Monkeys TRNSMT 2018 was one of the greatest festival sets I’ve ever seen. Crowd, weather, setlist, chemical inebriation all aligned perfectly. Sets on YouTube should anyone wish to indulge.

Fully agree here. It all just clicked. Red hot day with an even hotter crowd. Will certainly be tough to beat if they top the pyramid this year! 

Guns N Roses - never seen but definitely interesting in watching as I was a fan in my teenage days. 

Elton - never seen and wouldn’t pay the price of his normal gigs but I’ll be there with bells on. Couldn’t think of a better set to end the festival. Hopefully I’ve some left in the tank by then. 

I've seen Elton and he was fantastic.  

Not a fan of Arctic Monkeys but I've seen them.  Not for me, but I can see the appeal. 

Never seen GNR.  Axl's always come off like an asshole with a huge ego to me, and in my opinion the songs aren't good enough for me to look past it.  He can't sing anymore anyway, so I won't be watching them if they'r there.  November Rain is a banger though, I'll give em that. 

Seen arctic monkeys  3-4 times since 2005

Seen Guns n Roses at Leeds fest 2001

never seen Elton and he’s been rumoured for about a decade so I’m glad it’s finally happening. I probably wouldn’t pay to go and see him at his own show.