2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

31 minutes ago, Riverneck said:

I reckon Gabriels could be the ‘???’

Except there's no reason for Gabriels to not be announced, given they were announced for Forwards a few weeks ago. (By which I mean, if they're still negotiating with their booking agent and they're clearly not contractually tied down or embargoed why not just hold fire on the announcement until they're in the bag?)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, bobbyperu said:

I wonder if they are moving things around a bit. The email says “Down” at The Folly which doesn’t tie in with where the Tipi usually is. 

also agree they can’t possibly have Bodega on The Boat stage if it’s the same set up last year. 

EOTR have confirmed on Instagram that the Tipi has been renamed as The Folly.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Any chance shes the Saturday ???

4227028E-99E1-494C-A164-3502A0DA70CF.jpeg

Don't do that to me, Nal. Polly would hardly be subheadlining, would she? That would be nearly too much for me. I'm thrilled with the line up already. Her Dublin dates are the first of the tour. Would a festival crowd be a suitable warm up for her? We can but dream.

4 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Don't do that to me, Nal. Polly would hardly be subheadlining, would she? That would be nearly too much for me. I'm thrilled with the line up already. Her Dublin dates are the first of the tour. Would a festival crowd be a suitable warm up for her? We can but dream.

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

No, Europe dates end on the 28th.

It could be Polly but given she has no links to the festival and tickets for those shows are something like £65 I doubt it.

I've no insider info but Damon did very similar. Played the sub slot and was charging similar for tickets on the tour. Granted it wasn't a warm up date for him.

Not sure it will be The Walkmen. Feels like one that GM and EOTR are unlikely to share. The timings always were perfect for them to play EOTR and it was surprising when they weren't announced, so why would that change now?

GM has sold out, EOTR hasn't. Announcing The Walkmen might be the act that shifts the last tickets, so why hold them back?

57 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Damon subbed for Simz....

Damon subbed for Hot Chip. Simz subbed for King Krule.

People are getting too hung up on it being a Future Islands sub. It might (emphasis on that word) be a headline-level act, and it's very possible EOTR knew they couldn't/won't be announced until later right from the start, but they're not going to have a complete surprise act billed as headliner. If it is PJ it doesn't mean Simon thinks she won't sell as many tickets as Future Islands can, it means her label/management don't want it making public because they have tour tickets to shift and the festival can't go seven months advertising a TBA headliner. 

Also, The Walkmen are a UK exclusive to Green Man.

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Damon Albarn as a solo act subbing an act of that statute is in no way comparable to PJ Harvey doing so.

PJ Harvey is a triple A act. Damon Albarn on his own however is significantly weaker compared to his triple A bands, Blur and Gorillaz.

That's not what I meant. They could be any size, within reason, but whatever the reasons for leaving it TBA (and they're very deliberately not drawing attention to the blank space) if EOTR had got this far without announcing one of their headliners there would have been uproar. That's why they're in the sub position, and it must be an artist of a good size because whenever there's been a surprise "regular" slot before they've been in Big Top, even when it was a previous EOTR headliner.

Patti Smith subbed Grandaddy one year....

I think its unlikely to be PJ, but I wouldn't 100% rule it out. The timing of her tour announcement would mean her not being confirmed before would make sense

Either that or someone high up at Green Man who can't be announced until after Green Man. Walkmen would fit that bill. Maybe someone like young fathers?

20 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

That's not what I meant. They could be any size, within reason, but whatever the reasons for leaving it TBA (and they're very deliberately not drawing attention to the blank space) if EOTR had got this far without announcing one of their headliners there would have been uproar. That's why they're in the sub position, and it must be an artist of a good size because whenever there's been a surprise "regular" slot before they've been in Big Top, even when it was a previous EOTR headliner.

Ah yes, sorry for misreading.

I think it makes no sense to announce such a big name so late in the day and also would either be humiliating for Future Islands to be dumped from their billed headline spot or utterly bizarre to have PJ Harvey anything other than headliner.

Edited by xxialac

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ah yes, sorry for misreading.

I think it makes no sense to announce such a big name so late in the day and also would either be humiliating for Future Islands to be dumped from their billed headline spot or utterly bizarre to have PJ Harvey anything other than headliner.

I should think the likelihood is it's either someone who has contractual obligations that mean they can't be announced until after they've played somewhere else, someone who can't be announced until their normal dates have sold out although I don't think that's usually applicable, or (as was the case with Wild Beasts in 2016) they're announcing an album at or around the festival date.

FWIW I don't think it will be PJ, I suspect she might be too big for EOTR now and she has no ties to the festival, and I wouldn't think it'd be a Green Man act as I'm sure I've read the two were working closer together post-pandemic.