Blur

jannybruck

Just now, kingbadger said:

Because again there's nothing better than making your fans fork out for travel and hotels in the most expensive city on the continent rather than touring and making things more accessible. Make as much money from folk as you can for the least amount of effort. 

Yeah I have no idea why it's a one off in the UK. I suppose there will be a tour in 24. Wembley show to get the attention, do European festivals in the summer and then a larger tour next year? I doubt they would go through all the prep and rehearsals for just a couple of gigs over the summer.

3 minutes ago, clasher said:

Yeah I have no idea why it's a one off in the UK. I suppose there will be a tour in 24. Wembley show to get the attention, do European festivals in the summer and then a larger tour next year? I doubt they would go through all the prep and rehearsals for just a couple of gigs over the summer.

It still goes to the cost in my opinion. For me going it would be well over £200 for the day in terms of travel, ticket, food and drink. And I can get the train there and back in a day. God knows how much it would cost for people needing accommodation. 

On the Magic Whip tour pretty sure they only did IOW and Hyde Park other than warm ups. And Hyde Park sold atrociously, needing deals and freebies to get close to filling it up.

Is there any more demand there this time round? 

18 hours ago, clasher said:

Again, I don't know how much Blur are getting, I would think it's a hefty sum. But it's not simply because they charge more for the golden circle.

Artists don't throw darts to determine the price of tickets, nor do they go "I'm gonna charge 500 quid because I'm a greedy lad". Their management doesn't to that either. They add up the costs and consider what kind of prices they can charge to still sell out (which is paramount, as you usually need 80-85% just to break even) and then distribute this between the different tiers.

The costs of the gig set the the minimum and the demand sets the maximum they can charge. Still waiting for someone to tell me at which point the payout becomes too big to be considered not ripping off the fans. Is going for the max greedy? Perhaps. Are Blur doing that? Perhaps. I don't know and likely no one here knows either.

If this is a quick sellout even at these prices (which I expect it will be), it would show they could probably charge even more, which would indicate they didn't go for the maximum prices, so maybe they aren't complete greedy bastards.

I obviously don't like how high the prices are getting and I completely understand why people are angry, annoyed and feel ripped off. The point I'm trying to get across is that just because a ticket has a higher price than someone feels like it should have, would be prepared to pay for or is substantially higher than 8 years ago in a completely different global situation, it doesn't necessarily mean the artists are greedy.  

You on the other hand (among others) seem to be annoyed with the golden circle, which is a part of a tiered ticketing system. What I don't understand is what the difference is between golden circle and general standing vs general standing and seats, for example. Different tiers, different prices, seems perfectly sensible to me, especially in huge venues. We can disagree about that, but the "extra effort" argument is still bullshit, especially if applied to the golden circle solely.

It can still sell out quickly and them still be greedy bastards.

So the Blur presale email is interesting.  

"Ticket prices start at £65 plus ticket agent fees (pay no more than 10%)."

Then you look at the See Tickets website, with their prices - none of which have fees that are even close to as low as 10%!  https://www.seetickets.com/event/blur/wembley-stadium/2467247?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=57434&utm_content=Loyalty&awc=7816_1668539039_a602b29a4e84ad187208dfef266ef0c8&AFF=aw

Golden Circle has £21.50 of booking fees, on top of a £125 face value!

So either they don't know that their ticket agents are padding the prices, or something else is going on...

TiketT prices start at £65 plus ticket agent fees (pay no more than 10%)Ticket prices start at £65 plus ticket agent fees (pay no more than 10%)

7 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Then you look at the See Tickets website, with their prices - none of which have fees that are even close to as low as 10%!  https://www.seetickets.com/event/blur/wembley-stadium/2467247?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=57434&utm_content=Loyalty&awc=7816_1668539039_a602b29a4e84ad187208dfef266ef0c8&AFF=aw

So either they don't know that their ticket agents are padding the prices, or something else is going on...

TiketT prices start at £65 plus ticket agent fees (pay no more than 10%)Ticket prices start at £65 plus ticket agent fees (pay no more than 10%)

which site are they being sent to in the presale?

6 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Blur are linking to ticketmaster , so prices would be 93.50 or 137.50 for standing 

44 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

€59 for the day, 66 with 1 night camping

165 euros for the full 4 day fest, 185 with camping

image.thumb.png.9799aca2c501622d6a9f61a2c1b36d8b.png

Very unbalanced days

9 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

could be a presale fees discount.

likely story!!

1 hour ago, gfa said:

It can still sell out quickly and them still be greedy bastards.

Yes.

The point of the bolded text was that a hypothetical quick sell out would indicate even higher prices were possible, but they chose not to go that way for whatever reason. I would argue not going for the maximum price is less greedy than going for the maximum price. Doesn't mean they aren't greedy, but I'm still waiting for someone to tell me at which price/profit point an artist gets greedy.

They have a very good idea of how many tickets at what price they can shift in what location, you can be sure of that.

In terms of ripping of the fans, I'd say 20 pound booking fees and 10 pound pints are much more of a problem.

10 minutes ago, clasher said:

Yes.

The point of the bolded text was that a hypothetical quick sell out would indicate even higher prices were possible, but they chose not to go that way for whatever reason. I would argue not going for the maximum price is less greedy than going for the maximum price. Doesn't mean they aren't greedy, but I'm still waiting for someone to tell me at which price/profit point an artist gets greedy.

They have a very good idea of how many tickets at what price they can shift in what location, you can be sure of that.

In terms of ripping of the fans, I'd say 20 pound booking fees and 10 pound pints are much more of a problem.

£20 booking fees are just stealthily parts of the price, no different to say a service charge. London gig pint prices are basically the same as london pubs at this point

Its the golden circle tbh

57 minutes ago, gfa said:

£20 booking fees are just stealthily parts of the price, no different to say a service charge. London gig pint prices are basically the same as london pubs at this point

Its the golden circle tbh

Booking fees are what the ticketing companies set and take for their service of handling the payments and sending emails with tickets. The artist has nothing to do with it, apart from choosing someone with lower fees, but there's not a lot to choose from anyway. And that's somehow more OK and moral than having a chance to pay more to have a better experience.

Prices of pints went up considerably in the last couple of years and that's OK, but ticket prices should stay at 2015 levels.

If only Blur got rid of the golden circle, life would be nice and fair again.

12 minutes ago, clasher said:

Booking fees are what the ticketing companies set and take for their service of handling the payments and sending emails with tickets. The artist has nothing to do with it, apart from choosing someone with lower fees, but there's not a lot to choose from anyway. And that's somehow more OK and moral than having a chance to pay more to have a better experience.

Prices of pints went up considerably in the last couple of years and that's OK, but ticket prices should stay at 2015 levels.

If only Blur got rid of the golden circle, life would be nice and fair again.

You really do just love high prices don't you? If your mate says oh 'X' particular item is quite pricy do you sit there and explain to them how it isn't in extreme detail?

20 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

You really do just love high prices don't you? If your mate says oh 'X' particular item is quite pricy do you sit there and explain to them how it isn't in extreme detail?

I love high prices as much as you fancy a normal debate with people who happen to have a different opinion.

Show me one post where I said the gig is cheap. Or even better, actually read the posts before putting words in my mouth. This is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, jonesjupiter said:

Kendrick was scheduled for a UK one-off prior to the pandemic and eventually came back to do Glastonbury the following year so maybe that will be the case with Blur too.

My money is on this scenario. Wembley and EU festivals, followed by more UK dates (likely including Glasto) in 24. They are an English band after all, would make little sense to do only Wembley.

3 minutes ago, jonesjupiter said:

Kendrick was scheduled for a UK one-off prior to the pandemic and eventually came back to do Glastonbury the following year so maybe that will be the case with Blur too.

Was BST marketed as that? I thought they just said it was a Kendrick show and wasn't exclusive 

44 minutes ago, clasher said:

TM aren't going to say no to selling blur tickets if they are insistent that TM cap fees at 10%, thats still £10 per ticket on average so £900k in fees

1 minute ago, clasher said:

I love high prices as much as you fancy a normal debate with people who happen to have a different opinion.

Show me one post where I said the gig is cheap. Or even better, actually read the posts before putting words in my mouth. This is ridiculous.

My money is on this scenario. Wembley and EU festivals, followed by more UK dates (likely including Glasto) in 24. They are an English band after all, would make little sense to do only Wembley.

Debate is fine, I just find your defence of a pricing structure utterly bizarre. I didn't put any words into your mouth, it just seems like you have a justification for every price increase. I'm a cheapskate what can I say, and I'm being priced out of seeing a band I enjoy, let me be frustrated at the prices and practices.

10 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Was BST marketed as that? I thought they just said it was a Kendrick show and wasn't exclusive 

I honestly don't recall any other dates for that summer and I think the next time he took the stage was the one off show in Vegas. I always found that timeline interesting because I don't know what he would have played at BST had it materialized. Maybe they were planning on putting out Mr. Morale sooner? Maybe it would have just been a greatest hits  set like Vegas?

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

Debate is fine, I just find your defence of a pricing structure utterly bizarre. I didn't put any words into your mouth, it just seems like you have a justification for every price increase. I'm a cheapskate what can I say, and I'm being priced out of seeing a band I enjoy, let me be frustrated at the prices and practices.

I don't have a justification for every price increase. I do think the golden circle is far less of a problem than ridiculous fees on top of FV and 80 quid for the worst seats. I also find it baffling how artists are getting slammed for having higher prices than before and wanting to make money from their shows in a world, where everything is more expensive and the majority of money to be made in music is touring and merch, as less and less people are buying physical copies, streaming pays poorly and most of that goes to the label, publishing and distribution anyway.

If you don't wanna spend 140 quid on GC, you're being priced out of the front rows, not seeing the band you love. If you don't wanna spend 80 for cheapest seats and are in fact getting priced out of seeing them, then you basically agree with what I've said multiple times in this debate about those seats.

Never have I said the tickets aren't expensive, never have I said I enjoy high prices and being ripped off as you bizarrely implied. I would love to live in world where every gig was a tenner and we all lived happily, doing what we love, no wars and free pints, but this is sadly not the world we live in and music is sadly a business. Just because I try to point that out and explain why those prices might be the way they are doesn't make me morally repugnant, or whatever was the term someone used.

If any of you felt attacked and denied the opportunity to moan and be frustrated I deeply apologize. Moan away.

6 minutes ago, clasher said:

I don't have a justification for every price increase. I do think the golden circle is far less of a problem than ridiculous fees on top of FV and 80 quid for the worst seats. I also find it baffling how artists are getting slammed for having higher prices than before and wanting to make money from their shows in a world, where everything is more expensive and the majority of money to be made in music is touring and merch, as less and less people are buying physical copies, streaming pays poorly and most of that goes to the label, publishing and distribution anyway.

If you don't wanna spend 140 quid on GC, you're being priced out of the front rows, not seeing the band you love. If you don't wanna spend 80 for cheapest seats and are in fact getting priced out of seeing them, then you basically agree with what I've said multiple times in this debate about those seats.

Never have I said the tickets aren't expensive, never have I said I enjoy high prices and being ripped off as you bizarrely implied. I would love to live in world where every gig was a tenner and we all lived happily, doing what we love, no wars and free pints, but this is sadly not the world we live in and music is sadly a business. Just because I try to point that out and explain why those prices might be the way they are doesn't make me morally repugnant, or whatever was the term someone used.

If any of you felt attacked and denied the opportunity to moan and be frustrated I deeply apologize. Moan away.

Don't apologise, it's all good. Sorry my end as well.