Late night alternatives

ZiggyStarD

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The hop and liquor photos knocking around, with the wooden theming on the front, are from a different year. It looked very different this year, and was a much bigger marquee. Are you sure it wasn’t there?

I also thought it was North of BBC stage, coming from Other stage I feel like I remember passing BBC before getting to H&L 😕 

Edited to add: Hop and Liquor had the bar to the right end, dance floor in the middle, and to the left end was benched seating made from scaffolding. If that helps.

We were in the Hop & Liquor after Paul McCartney, cracking 80s/90s dance off till about 2am. Years ago there was a similar bar/disco in Glasto Latino when it was in the SE corner. Also very much enjoyed a similar indie dj set in the unfairground early doors on the Thursday as Williams Green was shut off

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare
Unfairground not underground

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The hop and liquor photos knocking around, with the wooden theming on the front, are from a different year. It looked very different this year, and was a much bigger marquee. Are you sure it wasn’t there?

I also thought it was North of BBC stage, coming from Other stage I feel like I remember passing BBC before getting to H&L 😕 

Edited to add: Hop and Liquor had the bar to the right end, dance floor in the middle, and to the left end was benched seating made from scaffolding. If that helps.

ahhh yes thanks for the edit - the bar being the wrong side was what confused me!

19 minutes ago, Scrump said:

Was it good? I missed it as have seen them 4 times now. But I've always wondered whether I should have gone!

Yes, terrific, although I couldn’t get inside, had to stand outside eating my kebab/gyros from the Greek place opposite. Washed down with a can of Ossian. Living the dream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Yes, terrific, although I couldn’t get inside, had to stand outside eating my kebab/gyros from the Greek place opposite. Washed down with a can of Ossian. Living the dream.

We were standing next to the disabled platform right at the back and you could definitely have got in - although whether your gyro would have survived is another story!

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

i think thats where i fell off the benches twice .... backwards and forwards after overdoing it a little on my birthday .... shame the only photo I have of the inside is me with my legs in the air .... 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

i think thats where i fell off the benches twice .... backwards and forwards after overdoing it a little on my birthday .... shame the only photo I have of the inside is me with my legs in the air .... 

haha, I fell backwards too. I blame the design though… The benches were pushed right up against the side, giving a drunk Nick the impression I could lean back for some much needed back support. Of course… It’s a marquee, and the walls aren’t solid!!!

28 minutes ago, ZiggyStarDD said:

Not sure why my original account was banned - I've only made this post before getting banned. @Neil what did I do wrong haha

not your account that's banned but the ip address you're using.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:39 AM, gfa said:

Interesting and I agree but thought maybe some of the smaller ones weren't.

What confuses me is i thought there was a bar to the north of bbc introducing that i went into during IDLES secret set - i've looked at hop and liquor photos and it wasn't that so quite confused which it was.

Really need that aerial glasto website back that was online for about 20 minutes!!

This is on Google earth now from last year, fairly sure the circled tent is hop and liquor

On the opposite side of the track were some clothing and hat stalls, and we kept popping over and having a look after a few pints in the bar. 

Not sure why it was listed as South of BBC on the official map, but I'm 99% certain this was where it was. And I don't recall a bar being south at all. 

1023590449_GopLiquor.thumb.jpg.a322c16e7a5bf2ac4fbd6f5d35b9a2c4.jpg

16 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

This is on Google earth now from last year, fairly sure the circled tent is hop and liquor

On the opposite side of the track were some clothing and hat stalls, and we kept popping over and having a look after a few pints in the bar. 

Not sure why it was listed as South of BBC on the official map, but I'm 99% certain this was where it was. And I don't recall a bar being south at all. 

1023590449_GopLiquor.thumb.jpg.a322c16e7a5bf2ac4fbd6f5d35b9a2c4.jpg

Yeah this is what i thought too!!

On 11/12/2022 at 3:41 AM, Alvoram said:

The Hop and Liquor (I think that'd be the bar just under the BBC stage in the image @gfa posted) had a disco running, often playing Indie music, sometimes playing 90's / 00's pop, and other times playing more up to date stuff. Not sure what time it closed, but it was open every time we called by, including way after midnight. 

We spent a fair amount of time in there, because they had the common sense to switch the sims in their PDQ machines to EE on the Wednesday, so were one of few bars taking card payments throughout. 

Was still open at 3am on Sat morning - i have a video of the tent going off to all i want for xmas is you. Might have been last song. 

3 minutes ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Was still open at 3am on Sat morning - i have a video of the tent going off to all i want for xmas is you. Might have been last song. 

Sounds awesome, wish we'd headed there at night instead of trying for the big names... 

Was the location of our first ever pint at Glasto, and will always have fond memories, because within minutes we'd met some great people who we spent the rest of that day with!

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Sounds awesome, wish we'd headed there at night instead of trying for the big names... 

Was the location of our first ever pint at Glasto, and will always have fond memories, because within minutes we'd met some great people who we spent the rest of that day with!

Friday of our first Glasto (09) we ducked into a bar to avoid a shower and got talking to a bunch of Geordies.  In the intervening 13 years, we've been to every festival since with them, had nights out in Newcastle/Sheffield and they even came to my wedding last year.  A better bunch you could not wish to meet.  Such is the magic of Glastonbury.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Had a great Wednesday night in Hop & Liquor this year, never got round to going back again after that unfortunately.

I enjoyed SE Corner on the Thursday evening this year but on other nights it was just too busy to enjoy it, even hours after the post-headliner rush it felt crazy busy up there. For me it's now Glade/Park/Williams Green for late nights or just finding one of the random bars playing decent music latee

Last Glasto was in 2018 so don't know if still there but we found Chameleon Bar after headliners pretty sure it was on the walk towards Brothers bar not sure how long it went on but they played loads of indie deffo have a late night vision of belting Common People out

Screenshot_20221116-195141_Messenger.jpg

2 hours ago, metty22 said:

Last Glasto was in 2018 so don't know if still there but we found Chameleon Bar after headliners pretty sure it was on the walk towards Brothers bar not sure how long it went on but they played loads of indie deffo have a late night vision of belting Common People out

Screenshot_20221116-195141_Messenger.jpg

Chameleon isn't there anymore, not sure what replaced it. Was another one nearby that was similar. Was in the bit between Other and Pyramid, not far from where people are saying Hop and Liquor is now I think.

19 hours ago, coma girl said:

Had a great Wednesday night in Hop & Liquor this year, never got round to going back again after that unfortunately.

I enjoyed SE Corner on the Thursday evening this year but on other nights it was just too busy to enjoy it, even hours after the post-headliner rush it felt crazy busy up there. For me it's now Glade/Park/Williams Green for late nights or just finding one of the random bars playing decent music latee

Without doubt the best time to enjoy SE corner is while the headliners are on. 

19 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Without doubt the best time to enjoy SE corner is while the headliners are on. 

Sounds like a good idea - I never quite manage to realise it though.  Always something somewhere always manages to drag me in a different direction.  Would be nice to be at SE during headliners and then escape as it fills up for a bimble, a bar crawl or some time in Green Futures.

19 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Sounds like a good idea - I never quite manage to realise it though.  Always something somewhere always manages to drag me in a different direction.  Would be nice to be at SE during headliners and then escape as it fills up for a bimble, a bar crawl or some time in Green Futures.

I feel like the night builds up to it - once you leave the SE corner its time for bed (unless going to a specific dj elsewhere with intent)