Banned!

tarw

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

Moderators

Trolling has been a problem on here all year and its clearly not going away, I wish @Neil that you'd just sort it out properly instead of going on IP banning sprees that clearly do not work

they clearly have worked the trolls have been blocked.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wasn't it the other way around? 

I thought the forums were fixed first and the main site was offline for a further period of time? 

it gave an opportunity to see exactly what the forums generate, not as much as you'd like to think.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

Alright, I understand that. But it doesn't warrant the way you've spoken to some on here who aren't trolls.

they might as well be, they're no killing the place with lovely posts are they?

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

they clearly have worked the trolls have been blocked.

Until they start using a different IP, with a VPN, and then those IPs get banned. Then the trolls start using a different IP... and you can see where I'm going with this. 

Does it not surely reach an end-game of so many IPs being blocked that half the genuine users are locked out?

1 minute ago, Neil said:

they might as well be, they're no killing the place with lovely posts are they?

No one is doing more damage than you and your melt downs. 

At least you post as Neil now, not eFestivals as that was a proper bad look. 

People are wasting their time though, as you won't ever listen. 

1 minute ago, dmedxb said:

Does it not surely reach an end-game of so many IPs being blocked that half the genuine users are locked out?

tgfhe other way is that i switch the forums off and then everyone is locked out. i'm not going to put up with this shit in my job, so will do what i can to stop it.

3 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I think it’d be best to lock this thread. The arguments are going in circles and it’s getting pretty toxic. 

better to lock the forums and end these problems for all time.

aas everyone thinks they're so nice, ever wondered why glasto dropped their own forums.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

I don't think so, but you do. So it's a stalemate as none of will move on our position. Just shut the thread as no-one is getting any benefit from this.

me moving on my position makes this place troll central. they've killed their own forums cos tbheyre not so nice, really.

I don't think people realise how much the community they really appreciate on here is very carefully curated by Neil and how much effort that takes. I've been part of many internet communities over many years and this one has lasted by far the longest. The reality is the only ones that really work and last are those run by benevolent dictators. Moderators sound like a good idea in theory but they inevitably lead to their own drama and aren't just an easy fix. It's a possible way forward but it's nowhere near as straightforward as many on here are saying.

Same goes for a lot of the technical solutions proposed.

The IP bans are a blunt instrument but are probably necessary at least until the nutters get bored. The one thing I'd have done differently was to just be a bit nicer to those legit users that have been impacted - "I'm sorry but because of the actions of a few cockwombles there's not much I can do about it at the moment" would have probably seen this thread end on page 2.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Do it or don't fs. The amount of times you have threatened this or done it temporarily and then brought them back must be in the double figures. 

its the equivalent of quitting my job cos the job is too shit to continue doing.

but its also shutting down  (or substantially changing) the business i've spent twenty five years building. and all because of some childish w*nkers, not letting the kiddies win.

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

They haven't though? You said it worked yesterday and within 2 minutes a troll had made a new thread ...

and now you're trolling by keep saying this without giving the proof.