2024 Headliners

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The absolute and never to be repeated magic that was Car Henge 1987 wouldn't be allowed to happen these days.

Sorry if this has been covered but why were upright cars magic in 1987 and shite in 2023? 

It seems to me as though some people have lost a little sense of humour along the way.

Come on now peeps, we aren't really all grumpy old men, just old men with a certain sense of humour that gets us through the day whilst we wait for some news! Cheer up kids 🙂

Just now, stuie said:

Sorry if this has been covered but why were upright cars magic in 1987 and shite in 2023? 

Unfortunately it's a bit of a you had to be there moment.

1987 - the upright cars were a centre piece to the wildest 24 hours I've ever experienced at Glastonbury (possibly anywhere).

1987. We gave Glastonbury its first major arts performance. In the travellers site of the festival, we built Carhenge, a Stonehenge memorial made out of old cars. With its Mutoid installations, sculptures and dinosaurs, the field ressembled an apocalyptic Disneyland on acid.
The sound of the drums came from everywhere, people beating oil barrels, cars, sculptures... Anarchic, loud and pulsing, the Zombie beat became the improvised soundtrack of this travelling arts exhibition.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Drugs.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

36 years from now we'll be saying Car Henge 2023 was the point Glastonbury Festival peaked.

I don't suppose either of you will have the grace to read the post above this, and Hugh hasn't a hope in hell of understanding anyway.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Unfortunately it's a bit of a you had to be there moment.

1987 - the upright cars were a centre piece to the wildest 24 hours I've ever experienced at Glastonbury (possibly anywhere).

1987. We gave Glastonbury its first major arts performance. In the travellers site of the festival, we built Carhenge, a Stonehenge memorial made out of old cars. With its Mutoid installations, sculptures and dinosaurs, the field ressembled an apocalyptic Disneyland on acid.
The sound of the drums came from everywhere, people beating oil barrels, cars, sculptures... Anarchic, loud and pulsing, the Zombie beat became the improvised soundtrack of this travelling arts exhibition.

Sounds like the Boomtown bashing of the bins.  I guess it was a new thing back then. 

And... drugs. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sounds like the Boomtown bashing of the bins.  I guess it was a new thing back then. 

And... drugs. 

3 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Lack of health and safety regulations meant you wear allowed to hit the cars with other bits of rusty metal

It was far more than either of that, a truly "out of this world" experience. 

@Sawdusty surfer possibly the only other person on here with first hand experience

As for musical tastes, hmmmmmmm what have I listened to in the last 24 hours

The Hebrew Chorus

Mozarts Requiem

REM (Automatic for the people, whole album)

Fred Again

Kings of Leon

Justice

The XX

Professor Green

Ms. Dynamite

Bille Jean

Stay (Inspired by this thread)

Frankie Goes to Hollywood

M.I.A

Goldfrapp

Radiohead

Running up that hill

Baby D

oh ............

And the KLF

And thats just to name a few, so like yeah, I like music ........... But I also like discussion and a laugh so come at me haters 🙂

It was far more than either of that, a truly "out of this world" experience. 

@Sawdusty surfer possibly the only other person on here with first hand experience

You know, you remind me of a certain other poster who used to be on this forum, big ginger fella! 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Franky said:

You know, you remind me of a certain other poster who used to be on this forum, big ginger fella! 🤷‍♂️

Really no idea, so not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing

But I was ginger in my youth

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I don't suppose either of you will have the grace to read the post above this, and Hugh hasn't a hope in hell of understanding anyway.

I have. It mentions Disneyland on acid. So yeah, drugs.

But... giving this more thought than I need to, perhaps because it felt so special because it was something big and new and there was nothing else to do?

I didn't go to Glastonbury back then but I did go to other festivals, and none of them had anything actually going on through the night other than the fun the punters sorted themselves. It usually just involved fire and loud music, maybe the odd game of football. I look back on those times fondly but I prefer the options available now. Instead of listening to someone's questionable taste in music coming out of a car stereo of a ghetto blaster, I get to go to see something like an actual band playing in a tent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I look back on those times fondly but I prefer the options available now. Instead of listening to someone's questionable taste in music coming out of a car stereo of a ghetto blaster, I get to go to see something like an actual band playing in a tent.

Swings and roundabouts

For sure the entertainment options are now far superior, esp post midnight, but the festival has lost a huge element of spontaneity, craziness, unpredictability and actual "gob smacking" weirdness.

• Like 1

Swings and roundabouts

For sure the entertainment options are now far superior, esp post midnight, but the festival has lost a huge element of spontaneity, craziness, unpredictability and actual "gob smacking" weirdness.

my favorite times were when the stalls in the main market, Joe Bananas included, were the overnight fun.

back when psytrance was king.

i would very gladly go back to a time when a stall playing the Noom Records 8-Steps compilation on repeat was considered a great way to spend the night.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Swings and roundabouts

But equally if that's how you feel, you're not open to having another experience like that at Glastonbury even if it were to happen. Because I'm pretty sure there are young people every year going to Shangri-La for the first time and feeling the exact same way you did then. Just like I'm sure in '87 there were older people laughing at the kids off their faces banging on old car shells.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Just like I'm sure in '87 there were older people laughing at the kids off their faces banging on old car shells.

I'll try again

It was so,so,so,so much more than a few kids banging on old cars

And it involved people of all ages

But in the end I have to accept that it was a "had to have been there" experience.