2024 Headliners

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've always been in favour of a mix of contemporary, popular and legendary. Based upon who might be active in 2024, I'd say that the combo of Dua Lipa, Depeche Mode and Madonna has a nice balance. 

Coldplay have to be a decent alternative, if they can't make things work with Gahan & Gore. I understand the disappointment that would have for the regulars on here, but you have to think that they're still incredibly popular with the Pyramid crowd, and there'll always be a good number who've never seen them. There's no way GFL turn them away, if they don't have a viable alternative. Whether you like them or not, you can't deny that they've never put on a bad show on the Farm.

Dua has to be a lock, doesn't she? Not my thing per se, although I've seen her at Mad Cool and Primavera over the past few years, and it was a decent show. Very popular with the countless thousands in attendance. Her time has to be now.

With regards to Madonna, I suppose it has to be 2024 or bust, doesn't it? Let's see what the reaction to the first of the shows is like from next week. If she were booked, I feel like the run up would be a little like it was for Elton this year. Lots of concerns over the vocals but ultimately crushed it. Personally, I think if she plays the hits in their original format, it has the potential to be as big as Reg. 

So yeah, nothing ground breaking from me. Quite an obvious trio, really. And if Dua was Friday, Madge was on Saturday, leaving the Mode for Sunday, I'd be delighted.

Great post … maddona dua and Coldplay also would be my go to on the list of available because despite the clamours for up and coming acts they can’t in my opinion risk more than 1 and then only if available at the time the bookings are made . The festival sells itself to bbc audiences based mainly on the bigger acts performing and they seem to have a pretty decent formula for selling out these days and a good chunk of that will have stemed from the tv coverage 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

That said of the 3 I mentioned I think Coldplay would be the one I’d most likely miss because I’ve seen them a couple of times on the farm and recently in Cardiff . 

You say that. That's the thing about Coldplay. If you're a fan, you're guaranteed to have a great time. I'd be surprised if you could resist...the FOMO would be real 😆

I don’t think Coldplay could top the crowd pleasing bits they did in 2016 - the fireworks, the Light show, the Barry Gibb bit, the Viola Beach tribute, that impromptu solo piano bit when the crew f**ked up the tuning… they basically had everything that could reel in a sceptical, damp-ass audience.

Even if they are the modern-era Worthy Farm house band, they may think that it’s diminishing returns from here onwards

19 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Olivia Rodrigo has completely passed me (and the rock I've been living under) by, so I'll bow to others perception of her popularity, but anyone who fits the contemporary/pop bill would be good

To be fair i'm the same with Dua Lipa 😁 but I quite fancy seeing Olivia Rodrigo (i'm guessing many others do not) and i'm not paying £90+ to see her at the O2 😁

Just now, cdm22 said:

To be fair i'm the same with Dua Lipa 😁 but I quite fancy seeing Olivia Rodrigo (i'm guessing many others do not) and i'm not paying £90+ to see her at the O2 😁

Doesn’t matter a jot . There’s loads of emotion in this thread at times but 100s of other places people could go and pretty sure 99% of people know that . I’d be a bit dissapointed personally if there was nothing on the pyramid headliner wise I wanted to see . But that’s likely down to my lesser knowledge of some of the smaller stuff and it takes me quite a while to get into new stuff 

47 minutes ago, Drinky said:

I don’t think Coldplay could top the crowd pleasing bits they did in 2016 - the fireworks, the Light show, the Barry Gibb bit, the Viola Beach tribute, that impromptu solo piano bit when the crew f**ked up the tuning… they basically had everything that could reel in a sceptical, damp-ass audience.

Even if they are the modern-era Worthy Farm house band, they may think that it’s diminishing returns from here onwards

Don't forget the Michael Eavis finale! I'd happily watch them again as they are always great live, but I was thinking similar tbh. They nailed 2016 and it would be difficult for them to surpass it, especially considering the staging on the current tour isn't much different.

I think they should book Dua and Olivia, just for the schitt show (and not just because I’d go and see both of them). 

Two female headliners which makes its own statement, one doing it off two massive albums and the other presumably doing it off the back of 3, one of which was huge. 

Both have played before and IIRC enjoyed it.

The antithesis in terms of age to this years headliners (though I was totally onboard with them too).

They both actually play very different music. Just because their girls doesn’t mean they sound the same.break the glass ceiling.

Do it Emily. I’ll bring the popcorn and we’ll enjoy the Social Media tantrums together.

10 hours ago, MK1 said:

What do you all think of Pearl Jam? New album next year and they will tour Europe june/july if rumors are true...

I’d put them in the same bracket as GnR as in ‘if a bunch of other options fall through maybe they’ll get the call, but otherwise probably not’. I’d most likely go and see them if they were ever booked because I’m definitely not paying to see them at their own shows, and I’m sure they’d turn in a good set, but it’d largely be a crowd waiting to hear those five songs from Ten that they’d play and then twiddling their thumbs for the remainder. 

Some outsider options:

Pulp: WHY did pulp not play this year!? It makes no sense... they were about, they were reformed, they were on tour, they have massive Glasto ties.... Pulp not even doing a surprise set on the farm somewhere over the weekend makes zero sense (outside of just not wanting too).... UNLESS they are down for something bigger..... 2024 headline? I don't think they will, but there must be a reason they didn't play this year

Eminem: Rumoured to be in talks for last year in some of the press.... maybe he was actually in talks for 2024... Eminem Dre and Snoop headlining Glasto?! Take my money!

Blur: Coming back too historic rumours that said Wembley 2023 and Glasto 2024. LONG standing rumour to be back on the farm in 23/24, didnt happen in 23... 2024? One of, if not the, greatest ever gigs on the farm (if you were there you know)... they will be back someday, 2024 fits.

AC/DC: Again long standing rumours backed with comments about the festival being open to booking them and the band being up for playing. Support from Aerosmith doing the "surprise" set they never did. Would go nicely opposite 2 of Dave/Dua/ O Rod 

Rage Against the Machine: A boy can dream

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not fiving them clicks, but the The S*n have published an article pointing a finger at Dua Lipa for next year.

... and the Mail saying (probably from the same source) she's had offers to headline from Glastonbury and Coachella and is deciding which one to take.

2 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

... and the Mail saying (probably from the same source) she's had offers to headline from Glastonbury and Coachella and is deciding which one to take.

why wouldn't she take both