2024 Headliners

Genuinely don't think Emily would wanna give Spice Girls the legend slot, sort of knocks off some of the prestige. Feels like the acts the festival likes to book have a sort of prestige and inter-generational staying power. Spice Girls are purely a novelty nostalgia act for people who were there in their brief heyday. Feels like a 3rd down Pyramid booking for a big act who just wants to do it like Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Foo Fighters, but would their ego's take that?

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

So what? David Bowie had 5 number 1’s, but if you try to tell me the Spice Girls are twice as good as he was, I’ll get you sectioned.

Kendrick, The Cure and Arcade Fire had  zero uk number 1 songs yet they all headlined. So whats the argument there on the "you have to have hits to headline".  

7 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

Genuinely don't think Emily would wanna give Spice Girls the legend slot, sort of knocks off some of the prestige. Feels like the acts the festival likes to book have a sort of prestige and inter-generational staying power. Spice Girls are purely a novelty nostalgia act for people who were there in their brief heyday. Feels like a 3rd down Pyramid booking for a big act who just wants to do it like Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Foo Fighters, but would their ego's take that?

Lol Spice Girls will lower the prestige? So how was it having 2 legends this year because they werent really able to get that prestige and inter generational artist like Diana Ross on board.  They settled on Yusuf and Blondie after Bryan Ferry backing out which apparently people werent all in for anyway.

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Lol Spice Girls will lower the prestige? So how was it having 2 legends this year because they werent really able to get that prestige and inter generational artist like Diana Ross on board.  They settled on Yusuf and Blondie after Bryan Ferry backing out which apparently people werent all in for anyway.

You are a pain in arse on here aren't you, the reason why America gets a bad name. Blondie was not the Legend slot, let's get that sorted now. Blondie was just a 3rd down act.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That said, Spice Girls in the Legends Slot would be fine.

Yeah I'd have no complaints if they were booked in that slot, as society shifts into 90's nostalgia it feels a given that slot will too sooner or later. They'd be a massive get and draw a colossal crowd....

(I'd just make sure I'm on the opposite side of the site when they're on)

Here’s the video from their show last night in Amsterdam - they did something similar during a show last year to tease the venues for this years stadium tour: 

Chat on TikTok that Croke Park is booked for them next year so if the dates have a GSH 👀

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It'll have been eight years....

You'll be not at all surprised if the band they booked was Coldplay. Imagine Rihanna, Coldplay and Dua Lipa with Pulp under Coldplay. I'd be happy enough with Coldplay. Interestingly too that England wasn't in the options. They could just do Glastonbury solely in England.

Just now, northernangel said:

You'll be not at all surprised if the band they booked was Coldplay. Imagine Rihanna, Coldplay and Dua Lipa with Pulp under Coldplay. I'd be happy enough with Coldplay. Interestingly too that England wasn't in the options. They could just do Glastonbury solely in England.

It feels an inevitability that they'll do it before the next fallow year.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It feels an inevitability that they'll do it before the next fallow year.

It just seems a bit delayed out with 2022 having done huge stadiums, this year having done the same but only Cardiff and Manchester then playing for a 3rd year. The only way you can justify is that they essentially started this tour in March 2022 after ages doing promo smaller shows so Glastonbury would be at the end of two years. I'd see them and Dua Lipa but elsewhere for Rihanna. But the other thing is too, if they brought Chemical Brothers back for other again on Saturday and Coldplay on Saturday it's been done last time. I guess there is nothing stopping them putting Rihanna and Lipa on Friday and Saturday with Coldplay closing like last time.

If there are no British dates in this leg, then they likely have festivals in mind - if not Glastonbury then IOW and TRNSMT are big enough to put them on. Looking at the other cities, they’re avoiding some of the areas with big festivals too, so Rock am Ring or Werchter could be in the frame. It’ll be interesting to see the dates.

Their tactic has been to bring out a companion EP to their most recent album so they have more material to keep the tour fresh for another 9-12 months (Prospekt’s March for Viva La Vida, Kaleidoscope for AHFOD), and to justify continuing to play shows into a third summer.

Maybe there’ll be some stronger material than the thin clout-chasing gruel on Music of the Spheres

Edited by Drinky

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Please, that last album was so bloody bad, why are they touring it for longer than anything else they’ve ever done 

Given the scale of the show, and the enforced break due to the pandemic, I expect there is an enthusiasm from the band (and indeed the fans) to play more. And I'm sure the financial benefits don't hurt.

I saw the show last year and loved it, but ducked out this year as it seemed too much of a repeat. But by next summer, I think my appetite will be back. Nice if they mixed up the setlist a bit more by then of course.

5 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Music of the Spheres wasn't their best but it did contain one of their greatest ever songs in Coloratura

The one song from the album they're not playing live...

I agree it is the highlight of the album, which I rate as good. Thing is, it is a modern pop record, not an early-noughties indie album, and is written to be played in stadia where it largely works. If people are still hankering for AROBTTH pt 2, they can listen to X&Y. If they want something more experimental and adventurous, they can listen to Everyday Life (also sadly unrepresented on the current tour - they really should include Orphans, Champion of the World and Daddy). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Spice Girls are not reforming to be playing a pissy little 75min afternoon slot at Glastonbury in the middle of a stadium tour.

If they're playing (unlikely), they'll be headlining.

e: should have refreshed the page before replying. Carry on.

Nah.  I reckon they have enough self awareness to know that they're not headliners and are ideally suited for an hour of fun on the Subday afternoon.  Plus I doubt the festival would even off it to them 

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

The one song from the album they're not playing live...

I agree it is the highlight of the album, which I rate as good. Thing is, it is a modern pop record, not an early-noughties indie album, and is written to be played in stadia where it largely works. If people are still hankering for AROBTTH pt 2, they can listen to X&Y. If they want something more experimental and adventurous, they can listen to Everyday Life (also sadly unrepresented on the current tour - they really should include Orphans, Champion of the World and Daddy). 

If I want to listen to something adventurous then Coldplay are pretty low down the list.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah.  I reckon they have enough self awareness to know that they're not headliners and are ideally suited for an hour of fun on the Subday afternoon.  Plus I doubt the festival would even off it to them 

Yeah, they're smart enough to know that the best place for them is Legend. In terms of appeal and standing, there's not much between them and Kylie.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

If I want to listen to something adventurous then Coldplay are pretty low down the list.

I meant relative to their back catalogue...  The usual complaints are that their new stuff is too pop, not adventurous enough, not like the old stuff.

No one is expecting them to be Vomir, right?