Arriving on a Thursday - camping spot

mike86

This year will be the first time trying for Thursday tickets (coach). What are peoples experiences of getting setup on the Thursday? Which fields on the west (near gate A) normally have space? 

image.thumb.png.242bfa93dddd2c4322824742fd479aae.png

I would normally aim for Rivermead next to the Silver Hayes access bridge, or Dairy as close to Arcadia as possible. These are usually full by Wednesday afternoon. 

Cheers. 

To be honest you should be able to find somewhere on the Gate A side on Thursday. Darble will be a definite, Pylon used to have plenty but there has been a staff camping incursion now. As for Dairy you should still find space if you don't have a huge tent. Otherwise Bailey's and Rigs field loads of room

Until this year we'd always camped in Bushy with no problem when arriving on a Thursday. However this year we got a Wednesday coach down and it was already pretty full by the evening. Probably a knock-on effect from Pylon becoming half-crew camping. Has made me think I'll probably stick to Wednesday arrivals from now on.

2 hours ago, mike86 said:

This year will be the first time trying for Thursday tickets (coach). What are peoples experiences of getting setup on the Thursday? Which fields on the west (near gate A) normally have space? 

I would normally aim for Rivermead next to the Silver Hayes access bridge, or Dairy as close to Arcadia as possible. These are usually full by Wednesday afternoon. 

Cheers. 

Lime kiln and Hitchin hill usually have space on Thursday. 

18 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Lime Kiln is a short walk (up a hill, mind) from the coach stop. Good views, lots of space, nice atmosphere.

Lime Kiln regular here...bit of a trek home at night, but nice and quiet at night, sound neighbours during the day and views of the site are great. A lot of Wicket has been reclaimed from family camping over the last few years, so the are more flatter parts of the field again, but these will likely be full by Thursday. 

20 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Until this year we'd always camped in Bushy with no problem when arriving on a Thursday. However this year we got a Wednesday coach down and it was already pretty full by the evening. Probably a knock-on effect from Pylon becoming half-crew camping. Has made me think I'll probably stick to Wednesday arrivals from now on.

This is interesting - we always camp in Bushy and there is usually loads of room still by Thursday (although we arrive Wednesday). I wasn't there this year so interesting to hear that has changed.

23 hours ago, mike86 said:

Cheers. 

I’ve had to do Thursday arrivals last two festivals and easily found space in Darbles. Walked about 3 minutes from Gate A

13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is interesting - we always camp in Bushy and there is usually loads of room still by Thursday (although we arrive Wednesday). I wasn't there this year so interesting to hear that has changed.

Yeah we arrived mid afternoon on the Weds this year and got in our usual spot easy enough, but it surprised me how quickly it filled up around us. Waking up on Thurs morning it definitely felt as full as it ever gets. Added to the feeling of everything being a bit busier this year.

Looking at the replies, it seems there are still other options near gate A for Thurs arrivals, so that's reassuring if needing to arrive late for whatever reason.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:20 PM, Lubic87 said:

Yeah we arrived mid afternoon on the Weds this year and got in our usual spot easy enough, but it surprised me how quickly it filled up around us. Waking up on Thurs morning it definitely felt as full as it ever gets. Added to the feeling of everything being a bit busier this year.

Looking at the replies, it seems there are still other options near gate A for Thurs arrivals, so that's reassuring if needing to arrive late for whatever reason.

Good to know. I did camp in Darble one year when my mate's bad back meant we literally couldn't walk much further from ped gate A. It was fine, aside from the fact it was a bit of a muddy one so took a long while to get home.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl