Download 2024

FeverDream

On 2/10/2024 at 12:14 AM, LazyDavid said:

Who would have thought that accessible metal would be a hit with newer listeners to the genre! Can understand the "Bastillecore" hate etc "it's not metal blah blah blah" facts are they're leading the charge into a new age of heavier music becoming popular again. It can only introduce people to your more standardised metal which is surely a good thing all round

Most of my favourite metal bands are fairly accessible but are at least good.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:11 PM, Spiral_Low said:

I'm late 30's so not that much older than you.

It's not gatekeeping to say it's a double edged sword on a personal level, because I don't enjoy them. I wasn't saying what you claim I was. I meant it literally, that it puts me off going. Me, myself and I. That's all. I understand you misunderstood what I meant so no hard feelings. I welcome the new fans to the scene, though I so wish those with power in the scene would do more to promote a better variety of bands. Simple as that tbh. 

Enjoy the gig! 

I think those few years probably made more of a difference than you probably think.

Anyway if the way you meant it was just you personally then fair do's dude.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:17 PM, Andre91 said:

Sleep Token have sold more tickets on this tour (in one day) than BMTH, Ghost, Blink-182, Maiden and Paramore on their last tours. 

We’re witnessing history, fellas. 

Download 2025 surely a lock if they're smart bookers, to echo everyone else.

26 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Download 2025 surely a lock if they're smart bookers, to echo everyone else.

The thing I guess might be if Sleep Token decide whether to headline whilst still being lower on the bill elsewhere in Europe, or if they decide to focus on building those markets first and then come back for Download in 2026 when they could potentially headliner or sub other festivals too. They might also want to take the chance to 'get big' in the USA given how lucrative that would be. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do their own dates throughout next year, Europe then South America then a US summer tour (maybe co-headline with a band like Ghost?).

Edited by Spiral_Low

12 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

The thing I guess might be if Sleep Token decide whether to headline whilst still being lower on the bill elsewhere in Europe, or if they decide to focus on building those markets first and then come back for Download in 2026 when they could potentially headliner or sub other festivals too. They might also want to take the chance to 'get big' in the USA given how lucrative that would be. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do their own dates throughout next year, Europe then South America then a US summer tour (maybe co-headline with a band like Ghost?).

From what I’ve been told, their aim with this tour was to headline Download 2025. 

3 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

They are doing a pretty big US tour in May of this year of large academy to small arena sized venues and an outdoor show at Red Rocks Amphitheater which is just under 10k capacity. They have sold it all out except night two in Montreal on the night tickets went on sale. They are already bigger than any heavy band from the UK in the last 20 years other than Bring Me, so I think you are right, but I think their touring schedule for the next 2 years will look something like this:

2024: Australia as support to Bring Me (April) - US headline tour (April/May) - unannounced EU headline tour (November) - UK headline tour (November/December)

2025: Australia headline (April/May) - couple of EU warm up shows (June) - Download headliner (June) - NA tour (July, August, September)[maybe they do a Mexico show or Brazil show too]

4 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

Jesus a7x's us tour is absolutely flopping

RDT_20240213_1836233126096959837305715.jpg

RDT_20240213_1836257821346078282371239.jpg

Not surprised. Never as big as people thought they were. Haven't done anything for several years then drop a album that splits opinions. Past tours they always took out huge support bands too, so dragged in more casual fans. 

On 2/13/2024 at 11:42 AM, Muppetmark said:

Jesus a7x's us tour is absolutely flopping

RDT_20240213_1836233126096959837305715.jpg

RDT_20240213_1836257821346078282371239.jpg

That's fairly brutal. Decided to look up their EU dates out of curiosity based on this. Outside of their 5 June date in Hamburg (supported by †††) they don't look like they're fairing much better.

32 minutes ago, Rusty Spoon said:

That's fairly brutal. Decided to look up their EU dates out of curiosity based on this. Outside of their 5 June date in Hamburg (supported by †††) they don't look like they're fairing much better.

The Hamburg date doesn't look good because it doesn't look like they even attempted to sell upper tier. That's a lot left 

Screenshot_20240213-184350.png

8 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

The Hamburg date doesn't look good because it doesn't look like they even attempted to sell upper tier. That's a lot left 

Screenshot_20240213-184350.png

Fair enough. When I looked at it my browser defaulted to the 'Premium Seats' so it looked a lot better than that. That's a brutal effort.

Weighing in on the Sleep Token debate. They don't appeal to me at all, but absolutely fair play to them. The devil works hard, but the team behind that band are working harder. 

The debate about what it does for the scene is age old. People were doing it not that long ago with Turnstile - Glow On, where loads of hardcore fans were seemingly mad that there were loads of new, excited fans, who they were miserable about being part of the scene.

Every genre always has a more commercial side and it will never be for everyone, but bringing more people to the scene, the shows, the festivals etc, is surely a good thing? Not only does it become a gateway to a whole new world of bands and experiences, but it increases the platform of so many other bands and affords them opportunities they might not have previously got. 

• Like 2

The thing with this Avenged tour in Europe is that it is the first time they are trying arenas in Germany (they biggest venues they played before on their own shows are the venues Sleep Token played in December and Architects played in January of last year) while they are doing both Rock AM/IM, Nova Rock, Copenhell and Graspop.

If I lived in the Amsterdam (or anywhere in the Netherlands) or Dortmund, why would I go to see Avenged at an arena show when Graspop is about 2 hours away from both, but for almost the same price as Avenged with one support, I can also see Bring Me, Limp Bizkit, Architects, Mr Bungle and Sleeps, plus a load more.

• 3 weeks later...

When can we expect day tickets to go on sale?

Also, what does the below mean? If I, an essential carer, and my partner, accessible ticket holder, want to bring our 4 year-old - do I have to buy a ticket? Can you have an accessible ticket holder, essential companion, and 4 year-old for the price of just the accessible ticket holder?

If the essential companion wishes to bring a child/children into Download Festival, then those child/children must be accompanied by another adult who has purchased a ticket

On 3/15/2024 at 9:05 PM, JimMacVeigh said:

POD said they’re back over in June onstage tonight at Wembley…reckon they’ll be at download then!

Yeah at Nova Rock on the Saturday, so guessing they'll either be the final addition on the Sunday main stage, or final addition on the Friday Opus Stage. If they're shouting about that I suspect we may be in for a final line-up announcement in the next couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Creeper are a cool band but being booked for the third year in a row whilst other the bands don't get a look in is a piss take. 

They’ve released an album since last year. It’s no biggie.