Download 2024

FeverDream

17 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

how many headliners sold as many tickets as Sleep Token today in, like, EVER? from the top of my head i can only think of Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N'Roses and Iron Maiden

Bring Me, Sabbath, MCR, Rammstein, Muse, Fall Out Boy, Biffy must be close too

Edited by RedJosh

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

Really is a shame they’re f**king awful because it’s great to see a ‘metal’ act making such waves in the current climate. Good on them (but get better).

Very much of the same opinion, I think they are sh*t. They sound like a pop punk, bastille with some breakdowns and riffs in, production far to clean as well. 

I hate the modern metal production style, all bands have it and it sounds sterile to me. 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Tried my hand at what a heavier Fall Out Boy setlist might be, but we'll see...

Love From the Other Side
The Phoenix
Sugar, We're Goin' Down
Uma Thurman
A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me"
I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me
Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy
This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Thriller
10 G.I.N.A.S.F.S.
11 Fake Out
12 Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes
13 Beat It
14 I Don't Care
15 Dance, Dance
16 Hold Me Like a Grudge
17 My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light 'Em Up)
18 Thnks fr th Mmrs
19 Centuries
20 Saturday

Did this a couple of months ago, it is a 2 hour set with 20 mins set aside for talking and transitions.

1.      Love From the Otherside

2.      Thriller

3.      I Don’t Care

4.      Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year

5.      Una Thurman

6.      Dance, Dance

7.      Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today

8.      Dead on Arrival

9.      Grand Theft Auto/Where is Your Boy

10.   The Phoenix

11.   This Ain’t a Scene, It’s A God Dam Arms Race

12.   Hold Me Like A Grudge

13.   Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes

14.   Bang The Doldrums

15.   Fake Out

16.   XO

17.   I'm Like a Lawyer with the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You) – partial piano

18.   Golden – partial piano

19.   I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

20.   A Little Less Sixteen Candles a Little More Touch Me

21.   Baby Anhilation - Pete spoken word

22.   AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica or Ozzy cover – first verse and chorus only

23.   Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On a Bad Bet

24.   The Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes

25.   G.I.N.A.S.F.S

26.   Sugar, We’re Going Down

27.   Heartbreak Feels So Good

28.   27

29.   Thnks Fr Th Mmrs

30.   My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark

31.   Centuries

32.   Saturday

7 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

forgot about those, don't know if it applies to BMTH, Fall Out Boy and Biffy tho

even Rammstein since they never sold that many arenas

Rammstein sold 2 stadiums pretty well in 2022

Bring Me did o2 x2, Brum, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff, Glasgow like this tour last month, but also did Liverpool, Bournemouth and Sheffield - 2021 there tour was smaller than they tour Sleepy T are doing.

Fall Out Boy did the exact same venues Sleepy T are doing

Biffy last UK tour was o2, Brum, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Glasgow - will admit this isn't quite as big

To me all this says is DL should have booked younger headliners sooner

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Sleep Token have sold more tickets on this tour (in one day) than BMTH, Ghost, Blink-182, Maiden and Paramore on their last tours. 

We’re witnessing history, fellas. 

Sleep Token are Man City/Man Utd/Liverpool or Arsenal of the music world.

Many people fall for it but they aren't music fans. I would imagine they also liked Babymetal, Ghost, Dragonforce over the years 

Many other people join in because surely all these people can't be wrong.

Yes, they are. Garbage band.

• Downvote 5

5 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I hate the modern metal production style, all bands have it and it sounds sterile to me. 

Because it's not a 'metal' production style, it's a pop one. And yeah I hate it too, but it's mostly the modern metalcore bands that have it plus Sleep Token obviously. 

Some don't though, Spiritbox for example have much better vocal production which I think is why I like them but not say Bad Omens. 

Thankfully for the other newer bands who don't have it either. Svalbard and Green Lung two example of great modern metal bands not going down the poppy vocals route. 

Who would have thought that accessible metal would be a hit with newer listeners to the genre! Can understand the "Bastillecore" hate etc "it's not metal blah blah blah" facts are they're leading the charge into a new age of heavier music becoming popular again. It can only introduce people to your more standardised metal which is surely a good thing all round

2 hours ago, Zampa said:

Many people fall for it but they aren't music fans. I would imagine they also liked Babymetal, Ghost, Dragonforce over the years 

You're a prat

3 hours ago, Zampa said:

Ok Boomer

7 hours ago, LazyDavid said:

Who would have thought that accessible metal would be a hit with newer listeners to the genre! Can understand the "Bastillecore" hate etc "it's not metal blah blah blah" facts are they're leading the charge into a new age of heavier music becoming popular again. It can only introduce people to your more standardised metal which is surely a good thing all round

The 'its a good thing' argument works both ways though. On one hand yes it is a good thing thing that new people get into the scene. On the other it's leading to festivals, club nights etc being full of these  poppy metalcore bands that I have no interest in, so I loose interest in going. 

2 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

If even just one kid goes on a metal journey that starts with Sleep Token and eventually ends up at Dying Fetus then I consider their popularity a good thing. Not for me, but f**k it, they’re clearly doing something right.

Out of interest - do you still think that there’s no chance they’ll headline next year? 

Based on those sales it seems like they’re about as big a draw as anyone they could realistically get. 

4 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

The 'its a good thing' argument works both ways though. On one hand yes it is a good thing thing that new people get into the scene. On the other it's leading to festivals, club nights etc being full of these  poppy metalcore bands that I have no interest in, so I loose interest in going. 

People said this about Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Blink, Sum 41 and Bowling for Soup in the late 90's/early 00's

Then people said it about Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Bring Me The Horizon, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and Paramore in the mid 00's.

These are the bands that are on at rock nights now and everyone knows the words to their big songs.

Give it 5-10 years and all the people throwing hate at Ghost, Sleep Token, Spiritbox, Bad Omens, etc. will be singing along to these songs in the Doghouse at Download or at rock nights along with the above.

We all had an introduction to metal through gateway bands. Yeah, gateway bands are generally the biggest bands in our scene, because for a lot of people they will be their heaviness limit. But these gateway bands are what allow the heavy/alt bands we like to continue to exist by sending people down the heavy music rabbit hole. There is already a very clear Sleep Token - Lorna Shore connection with lots of young people getting into Lorna Shore because of Sleep Token.

Unless their parents or an older sibling listened to it, no way does someone go from pop music to Emperor, Warning, Anaal Nakraath or Bathory, there are steps in between. Sleep Token, Spiritbox and Bad Omens are just the next generation. I'm sure you would happy listen to Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn, Bizkit, Avenged and Trivium as I am sure they were a part of your musical awakening into heavy music along with the big bands of the generation before like Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

And don't worry, I know you wouldn't have been influenced by that pop emo rubbish like Blink, The Offspring, Bring Me, Paramore, My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy.

I'm telling you know there are teens who will listen to Yungblud, who will then listen to Bring Me, who will go to Botch because Sam Carter sang on It Never Ends so they listen to Architects and then go to Dillenger and Norma Jean who end up at Botch. Just as there will be kips who give Bathory, Emperor, Darkthrone, etc. a listen because they saw Lee wearing a Bathory t-shirt in a picture of Bring Me.

20 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

People said this about Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Blink, Sum 41 and Bowling for Soup in the late 90's/early 00's

Then people said it about Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Bring Me The Horizon, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and Paramore in the mid 00's.

These are the bands that are on at rock nights now and everyone knows the words to their big songs.

Give it 5-10 years and all the people throwing hate at Ghost, Sleep Token, Spiritbox, Bad Omens, etc. will be singing along to these songs in the Doghouse at Download or at rock nights along with the above.

We all had an introduction to metal through gateway bands. Yeah, gateway bands are generally the biggest bands in our scene, because for a lot of people they will be their heaviness limit. But these gateway bands are what allow the heavy/alt bands we like to continue to exist by sending people down the heavy music rabbit hole. There is already a very clear Sleep Token - Lorna Shore connection with lots of young people getting into Lorna Shore because of Sleep Token.

Unless their parents or an older sibling listened to it, no way does someone go from pop music to Emperor, Warning, Anaal Nakraath or Bathory, there are steps in between. Sleep Token, Spiritbox and Bad Omens are just the next generation. I'm sure you would happy listen to Linkin Park, Slipknot, Korn, Bizkit, Avenged and Trivium as I am sure they were a part of your musical awakening into heavy music along with the big bands of the generation before like Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.

And don't worry, I know you wouldn't have been influenced by that pop emo rubbish like Blink, The Offspring, Bring Me, Paramore, My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy.

I'm telling you know there are teens who will listen to Yungblud, who will then listen to Bring Me, who will go to Botch because Sam Carter sang on It Never Ends so they listen to Architects and then go to Dillenger and Norma Jean who end up at Botch. Just as there will be kips who give Bathory, Emperor, Darkthrone, etc. a listen because they saw Lee wearing a Bathory t-shirt in a picture of Bring Me.

You make a lot of incorrect assumptions about my music taste. 

For the record I like Ghost and Spiritbox.  I also like The Offspring. Blink-182 I got bored of but did listen to when I was younger. I never really got into Limp Bizkit, I don't like Trivium, and I dislike AX7. And yeah I did/do like those 'older' metal bands but grunge bands were actually a major gateway for me too, especially Nirvana and Foo Fighters. 

I have no problem with Sleep Token or those other bands doing well. I'm simply saying from my own perspective I'm not keen on pop influenced metal so on a personal note it's a double edged sword. 

There is this kind of reverse gatekeeping these days, where people are judged for not liking a band. It's actually ok me and the others who piped up in this thread not to like Sleep Token. None of us are saying they don't belong in the scene. 

32 minutes ago, RedJosh said:

Excellent post this. I don’t think it can be overstated just how much the t-shirts your favourite bands wear in shoots and on stage can lead you to all kinds of things you’d never have been aware of before. I have absolutely fallen in love with Crowbar over the last couple of years because Konan from Malevolence usually has one of their tees on when playing and I just kept seeing it. 

Some Sleepy T fans will end up at Meshuggah and SikTh and that’s the coolest thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

You make a lot of incorrect assumptions about my music taste. 

For the record I like Ghost and Spiritbox.  I also like The Offspring. Blink-182 I got bored of but did listen to when I was younger. I never really got into Limp Bizkit, I don't like Trivium, and I dislike AX7. And yeah I did/do like those 'older' metal bands but grunge bands were actually a major gateway for me too, especially Nirvana and Foo Fighters. 

I have no problem with Sleep Token or those other bands doing well. I'm simply saying from my own perspective I'm not keen on pop influenced metal so on a personal note it's a double edged sword. 

There is this kind of reverse gatekeeping these days, where people are judged for not liking a band. It's actually ok me and the others who piped up in this thread not to like Sleep Token. None of us are saying they don't belong in the scene. 

I never said you didn't like Ghost or Spiritbox, I just lumped them in with the generation of bands that people like to dig on in recent years.

I assumed you were in my generation early 30's, but if grunge was your thing, then you are probably slightly older than me and fair do's if they were your gateway. We all had gateway bands. I like all those older metal bands I listed myself except Megadeth, so this isn't coming from a place of I dislike classic or thrash metal either. 

I don't think those bands doing well is a double edged sword though. We are all likely to get to a place where we don't get the plurality of new heavy music, but should just be happy that heavy music is thriving and that people are going to discover, listen to and get excited by the bands we love and enjoy.

I never said it wasn't ok not to like Sleep Token or other gateway bands and I don't think there is or should be reverse gatekeeping and I don't see it. Saying them becoming big is a double edged sword is what I would see as gatekeeping. I've seen loads of people say, 'I don't like X, but good luck to them it is great for the scene.' To me how you put it across comes across reads to me like, 'I have no problem with heavy music I don't like existing provided that they are kept away from rock nights and the outdoor stages of festivals I like.' There are loads of times I have been at fests and there has been acts I'm not interested in at Download or R+L, but I've given some the acts ago and focused in the stuff I will enjoy.

To me Download should be the place where I can go in a pit for Malevolence or Bleed From Within and softly headbang to Emperor or Godflesh, but also have a dance to Shkari or ILLENIUM before having a sing song to Ghost or My Chem. It should be a true alternative and heavy music fest and I get not everyone is going to be on board for it.

Time for me to go get ready to go see Shikari tonight.

1 hour ago, RedJosh said:

I never said you didn't like Ghost or Spiritbox, I just lumped them in with the generation of bands that people like to dig on in recent years.

I assumed you were in my generation early 30's, but if grunge was your thing, then you are probably slightly older than me and fair do's if they were your gateway. We all had gateway bands. I like all those older metal bands I listed myself except Megadeth, so this isn't coming from a place of I dislike classic or thrash metal either. 

I don't think those bands doing well is a double edged sword though. We are all likely to get to a place where we don't get the plurality of new heavy music, but should just be happy that heavy music is thriving and that people are going to discover, listen to and get excited by the bands we love and enjoy.

I never said it wasn't ok not to like Sleep Token or other gateway bands and I don't think there is or should be reverse gatekeeping and I don't see it. Saying them becoming big is a double edged sword is what I would see as gatekeeping. I've seen loads of people say, 'I don't like X, but good luck to them it is great for the scene.' To me how you put it across comes across reads to me like, 'I have no problem with heavy music I don't like existing provided that they are kept away from rock nights and the outdoor stages of festivals I like.' There are loads of times I have been at fests and there has been acts I'm not interested in at Download or R+L, but I've given some the acts ago and focused in the stuff I will enjoy.

To me Download should be the place where I can go in a pit for Malevolence or Bleed From Within and softly headbang to Emperor or Godflesh, but also have a dance to Shkari or ILLENIUM before having a sing song to Ghost or My Chem. It should be a true alternative and heavy music fest and I get not everyone is going to be on board for it.

Time for me to go get ready to go see Shikari tonight.

I'm late 30's so not that much older than you.

It's not gatekeeping to say it's a double edged sword on a personal level, because I don't enjoy them. I wasn't saying what you claim I was. I meant it literally, that it puts me off going. Me, myself and I. That's all. I understand you misunderstood what I meant so no hard feelings. I welcome the new fans to the scene, though I so wish those with power in the scene would do more to promote a better variety of bands. Simple as that tbh. 

Enjoy the gig!