2024 Festival

Chad888

6 hours ago, gfa said:

Not really

Steel Yard is a fully contained hanger that doesn't have the screen roof

Hangers are very common - its just R&L's take on it

Its far more similar to that than arcadia though!

5 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Nothing like it. It's outdoor, with led roof, not steel.

The lighting is being done by Colour Sound Experiment and a lot of other techy people that's putting a lot of effort into it 

Right....who cares about an LED roof if the performance is infront. It's actually Vegas' freemont street meets Reading then. With freemont though, you actually go because the roof is the attraction with background music.

5 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Right....who cares about an LED roof if the performance is infront. It's actually Vegas' freemont street meets Reading then. With freemont though, you actually go because the roof is the attraction with background music.

The LED display is part of the performance. It’s immersive. 

9 hours ago, northernangel said:

You're not looking up at the sky though are you?, it's just going to be like a big camera that you have right in front of you of the stage.

But you will find yourself looking upwards because of the display. I can only imagine what The Prodigy and Skrillex are going to do with such technology, they’re going to make it a key part of the performance with the graphics and lights they choose. Again, it’s immersive. 

It’s not completely the same but it brings to mind the Las Vegas Sphere. You would say ‘you’re going to be looking at the stage’ for that venue, would you? No, because the whole idea of it being so immersive is the appeal and the point in it existing. The same for this stage. 

10 hours ago, northernangel said:

It's not a new concept, overhead LED screens, visual art, decor etc has been around a while, it's just a new concept of it.

Like these recent ones, except it's on a much larger scale and not a solid structure.... I was lucky to work at both these  (Cream 2022 version) and they were both very impressive, especially the Soundstorm one that was able to lower and raise huge sections of it.

Guess we will see how it works out, especially with live acts and not just DJ's

Edited by Paul ™
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

But you will find yourself looking upwards because of the display. I can only imagine what The Prodigy and Skrillex are going to do with such technology, they’re going to make it a key part of the performance with the graphics and lights they choose. Again, it’s immersive. 

It’s not completely the same but it brings to mind the Las Vegas Sphere. You would say ‘you’re going to be looking at the stage’ for that venue, would you? No, because the whole idea of it being so immersive is the appeal and the point in it existing. The same for this stage. 

Well yes you would because the whole sphere is wrapped around the stage.....not above it. So yes you're right, it's not completely the same, it's not even close. The Prodigy are going to put an image of Flint on it...that much is obvious.

20 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It's not a new concept, overhead LED screens, visual art, decor etc has been around a while, it's just a new concept of it.

Like these recent ones, except it's on a much larger scale and not a solid structure.... I was lucky to work at both these  (Cream 2022 version) and they were both very impressive, especially the Soundstorm one that was able to lower and raise huge sections of it.

Guess we will see how it works out, especially with live acts and not just DJ's

They are light shows and primarily lights down from the roof...I would expect that....it's not any led display is it. Coachella had this for example in the Sahara.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

They are light shows and primarily lights down from the roof...I would expect that....it's not any led display is it. Coachella had this for example in the Sahara.

You tell me, you're the one who came on thinking it was R&Ls version of Steelyard.

Wait and see how it looks.. 

On 2/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Trnsmt12311 said:

i hope "we got inspiration from what was the LS23 stage for late night in leeds" doesn't mean they're stopping this stage 

This caught my attention too.. Is LS23 goes, there'll only be Piccadilly left and there'll be no room!

9 minutes ago, KG90 said:

This caught my attention too.. Is LS23 goes, there'll only be Piccadilly left and there'll be no room!

Ls23 will still be there chevron will not replace it. Leeds will definitely be one of the places to go to experience a true camping festival rather than a 3 day concert 

They need just one small tent at night at Leeds playing rock and indie music. They used to have a Propaganda night on the Thursday. There’s needs to be some alternative to dance music. There would be enough people to have a rock/indie night each night in one of the small tents. Hell, even if it’s just one or two nights. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They need just one small tent at night at Leeds playing rock and indie music. They used to have a Propaganda night on the Thursday. There’s needs to be some alternative to dance music. There would be enough people to have a rock/indie night each night in one of the small tents. Hell, even if it’s just one or two nights. 

Only us err older ones remember feet first at reading festival...

On 2/16/2024 at 10:59 PM, northernangel said:

Most of the acts on it are DJs

would you rather look at a bloke behind a laptop or 50,000 LEDs in the sky?

I know where i'd be looking

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2024 at 9:56 PM, Brad75 said:

Ls23 will still be there chevron will not replace it. Leeds will definitely be one of the places to go to experience a true camping festival rather than a 3 day concert 

I'm not concerned Chevron will replace it, but that they'll just do away with it completely haha! My heart broke when they changed it from Relentless to LS23, so evidently I'm far too emotional attached that that dusty little valley 🙈

Just saw Andre's link to the Chevron stage.

1. It is open air but with LED lights on a mesh cover, so it is effectively outdoors... if it is raining, that will be a horrible experience, if it is sunny then you will literally just see the LED lights for the last act (following regular scheduling).

2. FR have said that people can enjoy the stage and dance to the early hours, we assume Prodigy are clashing with Blink because of licensing hours, but could Prodigy et al be on at an agreed later time until early hours? Perhaps the festival has agreed it with the council following the riots, suggesting the children need to be occupied.

35 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

1. It is open air but with LED lights on a mesh cover, so it is effectively outdoors... if it is raining, that will be a horrible experience, if it is sunny then you will literally just see the LED lights for the last act (following regular scheduling).

2. FR have said that people can enjoy the stage and dance to the early hours, we assume Prodigy are clashing with Blink because of licensing hours, but could Prodigy et al be on at an agreed later time until early hours? Perhaps the festival has agreed it with the council following the riots, suggesting the children need to be occupied.

The only way there will be riots is if the festival is extended past 11pm.

Local people will be livid and rightly so to be honest. Its always been 11pm, will be hugely unpopular changing it.

22 hours ago, Chad888 said:

It's going to turn into a massive silent disco, they have already confirmed this after music stops.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Eh? ... it literally is.

It really isn’t. Calling them riots is being hugely hyperbolic and feeds into the narrative that R&L has become some sort of hellscape. Unless you’re talking about 2002 or whatever, the campsite issues in recent times are minuscule compared. It was hardly civil unrest. 

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

My friends nearly got thrown out in 2011 for setting fire to their own tent if that counts.

We camped next to a huge group of genuinely absolutely lovely 18 year old lads from Wales back in 2022 and one of them got kicked out because he set his own little 2 man tent on fire. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

We camped next to a huge group of genuinely absolutely lovely 18 year old lads from Wales back in 2022 and one of them got kicked out because he set his own little 2 man tent on fire. 

They've moved from barely tolerating that to outright no tolerance huh