2024 Festival

Chad888

9 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Does anyone have any pictures from inside of it im intrigued to see what the viewing experience inside that was like?

Prob a good few vids on YouTube

3 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Doesnt look too bad actually just wondered how much you would see if you were at the sides in the middle/towards the back

If I remember correctly, which I probably don’t, you didn’t really notice once you were in.

I wonder if they’ll do similar this year (hence the name being more than just a festival logo thing) and have a v shaped tent providing some open air space too in the middle. 

Assume it will just be the old big tent and therefore a huge rectangle. Adds some intrigue for now though

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Different crowds though really, and different sized festivals. 

Prodigy are nowhere near big enough or relevant enough to headline R&L anymore, at least not since around 2010, its a completely new generation of attendees. We are now talking about acts like Noah Kahan and Olivia Rodrigo as headliners.

Same with how Digga D is headlining a festival elsewhere, but is 3rd down? on the old Dance stage?

Certainly I'm aware that Prodigy were big enough to sub-headline AM in 2009 (and many thought they were better than Arctics that evening) and then did Milton Keynes Bowl the following summer. So I'm aware there was a phase of them being a huge deal like that.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Standard Oil sponsoring the festival, through its Chevron subsidary...?

Is Chevron that well known a brand in the UK?

I assumed it was just some kind of chevron aesthetic. At the very least you'd have thought they'd have it as a listed sponsor on the website with Pepsi and 3 as is the case on their site.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

True, but guess I've always considered R+L and IOW to be of a broadly similar size rather than demographic. There was a point where you'd get acts headlining both a year apart from each other. (The Stokes, Foo Fighters, Kasabian, so forth.)

1 hour ago, Benj said:

IoW capacity is roughly half that of Reading’s

Tickets are also a fair bit cheaper

Main differenence is deffo the demographic though

IOW has stagnated since around 2018 - that was imo their last big year.

Size is definitely the biggest difference - its one site and is around half the size most years (the capacity has scope to go up to what it got in the early 2010s i believe but it never gets close nowadays)

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That's been a shift. Think they were a similar price back in the day.

IOW has been £200 since around 2015 - Reading has continued to go up

14 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I assumed it was just some kind of chevron aesthetic. At the very least you'd have thought they'd have it as a listed sponsor on the website with Pepsi and 3 as is the case on their site.

Sponsorships are generally to raise brand awareness. I don't think Chad is right but your point doesn't hold up.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yup. Its just the Festival logo, not the oil company 🤣

would be the weirdest brand tie up ever

image.jpeg.3f07e4d61170807f4c0015a34a9551cd.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup. Its just the Festival logo, not the oil company 🤣

would be the weirdest brand tie up ever

image.jpeg.3f07e4d61170807f4c0015a34a9551cd.jpeg

Well yeah - that's been part of their aesthetic for a few years. Plus I imagine that the advocacy group "No Music On A Dead Planet" would have a few words if they were considering such a step.

18 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well yeah - that's been part of their aesthetic for a few years. Plus I imagine that the advocacy group "No Music On A Dead Planet" would have a few words if they were considering such a step.

Yup. I assume/ hope Chad was on the wind up. A little critical thinking quickly discounts it as being a slight possibility!

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

No Music on a dead planet is all just for show anyway

if an oil company gave them a good offer they'd at least consider taking it i think

Live Nation / FR events have all kinds of horrendous sponsors e.g. disposable vapes

mind you AEG are even worse!

41 minutes ago, gfa said:

No Music on a dead planet is all just for show anyway

if an oil company gave them a good offer they'd at least consider taking it i think

Live Nation / FR events have all kinds of horrendous sponsors e.g. disposable vapes

mind you AEG are even worse!

You'd like to think they wouldn't, although equally, I can guess that an oil company would see that as a great way to help their greenwashing project.

Though yeah I think I've seen vapes sponsor an event before as well and it not being a great look. Or crypto bollocks.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Completely unenforced but I guess they can pretend they care eh

You never saw the huge haul of confiscated ones they had at Finsbury over the 2 weekends last July! 

Just now, Paul ™ said:

You never saw the huge haul of confiscated ones they had at Finsbury over the 2 weekends last July! 

Fair enough - its a problem that will be gone come this time next year anyway

Huge amounts slipping through regardless though its worth pointing out

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Standard Oil sponsoring the festival, through its Chevron subsidary...?

Considering the environmental impact has been a huge deal lately, with the river pollution, non recyclable plastic waste, green camping scheme  being huge drives ... it seems a little conflicting having a sponsor that was largely responsible for providing funding to the Nazis in WW2, and was one of the major lobbyists to get Western involvement in the Middle East (and then helped fund the largest military base in the world in Iraq, before setting up an oil refinery right inside its walls), and is now one of the largest lobbying organisations against green energy...

Confirmed as false on Twitter days ago, come on now

https://x.com/officialrandl/status/1753157067521614138?s=46&t=70mGDwbTVuVv9YMn2UWarQ