Green Man 2023

March Hare

I wonder about Self Esteem in size terms, she's headlining Standon Calling (17k) and only subbing Pulp at Neighbourhood (25k, same as GM) I don't know where this assumption that Simz is in contention comes from, there's been next to nothing in GM's past to suggest they're heading that way.

Also a distinct lack of Welsh acts.

12 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I wonder about Self Esteem in size terms, she's headlining Standon Calling (17k) and only subbing Pulp at Neighbourhood (25k, same as GM) I don't know where this assumption that Simz is in contention comes from, there's been next to nothing in GM's past to suggest they're heading that way.

Also a distinct lack of Welsh acts.

I think Self Esteem is probably bigger than where I put her on my guess, but didn’t think about placings too much.  I could see her higher up (potentially Thursday headliner) but not lower than where I put her.

I believe GM were quite active in liking/sharing Simz’ content in the past.  I think they had her on their IG story once.  They follow her on insta/twitter.  She’s massively popular in GM’s demographic.  I take the point about the genre but don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility.  She’s active this summer and GM is one of the few festivals she’s yet to do.

There are 3 welsh acts above, but yeah, there will probably be one or two more on the initial announcement.  I’m not familiar with many Welsh acts tbh. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

10 hours ago, March Hare said:

Little Simz EOTR set in 2021 was well received. She is on the up and a perfect fit imo

I'm not saying she wouldn't be great, I'm saying Green Man has no history of rap. With EOTR it was known two years in advance that Simon was a fan and was trying to get her. Otherwise it's the same level of conjecture as those who are somehow assuming The Smile are now much more likely to headline because they're touring America in July - they might, but correlation is not causation.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

32 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I'm not saying she wouldn't be great, I'm saying Green Man has no history of rap. With EOTR it was known two years in advance that Simon was a fan and was trying to get her. Otherwise it's the same level of conjecture as those who are somehow assuming The Smile are now much more likely to headline because they're touring America in July - they might, but correlation is not causation.

Re: The Smile, the reason I think they could be headlining this year is because one of the GM bookers has been liking Tom Skinner (the drummer)‘s recent tour/announcement posts on Twitter.  He did much the same with Metronomy, Modern Nature and Beach House last year (liking their Twitter posts regarding new tours/albums), all of which played. 

Of course, there’s nothing to place them at GM at the moment other than this as they don’t appear to be active in August in Europe.  This could all change, though…

Guys!

Ive figured it out! One of the headliners will be Mogwai. And the line up announcement wont be till after the 20th. When their tour finishes.

(I have no insider knowledge of this. I just saw them last night. And a) they were so bloody good and b) they have done so before (I guess you COULD say that, after headlining in 2021, its a bit soon...I would say "SHUT UP! I WANT THEM TO PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!!!"). Also....BDRMM should play too.)

20 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Guys!

Ive figured it out! One of the headliners will be Mogwai. And the line up announcement wont be till after the 20th. When their tour finishes.

(I have no insider knowledge of this. I just saw them last night. And a) they were so bloody good and b) they have done so before (I guess you COULD say that, after headlining in 2021, its a bit soon...I would say "SHUT UP! I WANT THEM TO PLAY! LET THEM PLAY!!!"). Also....BDRMM should play too.)

Mogwai were incredible at Green Man 2021.... 

11 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

GM has to keep evolving to stay relevant. Although I do enjoy Pictish Trail. It’s about balance.

19 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Thanks.

They have pretty lousy ratings on Trustpilot compared to Twickets but if that’s the one they are using ….ok

I used Fantiks to sell one last year. Felt very clunky compared to Twickets but ultimately worked.

I just saw Opus Kink and asked them if they were playing and they said "we don't know yet" which leads me to think might be because otherwise they'd have said no?

Also asked Maruja who supported and were incredible. They'd be perfect for Rising. Sadly their answer was "we bloody wish".

On 2/9/2023 at 9:48 AM, zahidf said:

Squid self confirmed 

Right, that's it, I don't care about the rest of the line-up now, perfect for me! SERIOUSLY, saw them in Latitude Fest first time and fucking MISSED their secret slot at Green Man last time! SO EXCITED WOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

OK, I had nothing better to do so gave a potential line-up a go. I suspect the Yeah Yeah Yeahs aren't going to be in Europe for as long as we assume, and the headline name is born of a thought that if they've held out the first announcement for much longer than usual (2021 aside) it may well be because of an embargo that's rumoured to be in place for at least one other event in mid-August...

gm.JPG

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

OK, I had nothing better to do so gave a potential line-up a go. I suspect the Yeah Yeah Yeahs aren't going to be in Europe for as long as we assume, and the headline name is born of a thought that if they've held out the first announcement for much longer than usual (2021 aside) it may well be because of an embargo that's rumoured to be in place for at least one other event in mid-August...

gm.JPG

On 9/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Would like to add Beth Orton to my 2022 wishlist.  Loving the new album.  

Beth is out with War on Drugs in the summer, so yeah it's possible. Album is so good. And Mogwai and Delgados would be a lovely Chem UG treat

14 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

gm.JPG

Love the effort!  That all seems pretty realistic.

With First Aid Kit, I’d heard somewhere that they were back in the U.K. in August to do their rescheduled Liverpool date and were going to tie that it with doing a “fest”.  Then they were announced for South Facing, which I had assumed would be that “fest”.  I guess they could be doing two though - don’t think South Facing is an exclusive.

That second group looks strong.  I’m personally hoping for Slowdive to pop up as well given they’re doing some festivals in Europe in August.  But I doubt we’ll get Slowdive, Devo, Walkmen and Fever Ray - seems too good.

Explosions in the Sky is an odd one for where they would play if they were booked again.  They headlined Green Man a while back but obviously GM has grown a lot and they’ve probably got smaller in stature as well.  It’s probably a bit awkward when you want to book a former headliner in a non-headlining spot! 

Hopefully some non-anglophone acts pop up as well.

EDIT: Personally think Yeah Yeah Yeahs are nailed on.  I think they’re due to announce some European/U.K. dates throughout August judging by their latest tour poster. 

Edited by lessthanwill1

52 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Love the effort!  That all seems pretty realistic.

With First Aid Kit, I’d heard somewhere that they were back in the U.K. in August to do their rescheduled Liverpool date and were going to tie that it with doing a “fest”.  Then they were announced for South Facing, which I had assumed would be that “fest”.  I guess they could be doing two though - don’t think South Facing is an exclusive.

That second group looks strong.  I’m personally hoping for Slowdive to pop up as well given they’re doing some festivals in Europe in August.  But I doubt we’ll get Slowdive, Devo, Walkmen and Fever Ray - seems too good.

Explosions in the Sky is an odd one for where they would play if they were booked again.  They headlined Green Man a while back but obviously GM has grown a lot and they’ve probably got smaller in stature as well.  It’s probably a bit awkward when you want to book a former headliner in a non-headlining spot! 

Hopefully some non-anglophone acts pop up as well.

EDIT: Personally think Yeah Yeah Yeahs are nailed on.  I think they’re due to announce some European/U.K. dates throughout August judging by their latest tour poster. 

YYYs are interesting, at the moment their schedule runs from 25th (APE) to the 29th, which feels a little like they're not going to be over any earlier and unless Reading & Leeds are interested that might be their only UK date as it's already in London.

I'd seen the thing about First Aid Kit and "a festival" but it makes more sense for them to be over for two big events and there's not a lot of other headline size overseas acts available. The Walkmen could head the Thursday but their three Koko dates haven't sold out yet, and then you'd need to come up with a British headliner beyond the Thursday (Young Fathers' upcoming London date is the Roundhouse which Weyes Blood just did and Dry Cleaning are coming up to, and I doubt either of them would headline a "regular" GM day right now if the circumstances were right)

I'm not sure we'd get all those US acts and that top end does seem heavy especially given the problems other festivals have had with sub depth, but Devo as a Television-like Mountain sub feels plausible, as does Fever Ray as Saturday Far Out headliner and Osees subbing in there. EITS do feel tacked on but they're in Europe that weekend but not doing ArcTanGent.

Would also echo on reflection that this is incomplete as there's no African acts, although I wonder if some might tread lightly around them given how many pulled out of UK visits over visas last year.