Glastonbury 1987

Skip997

14 hours ago, fred quimby said:

In Bristol. Should  be good not seen him for a while

My Mistake - I had a quick look ' on a ticket site ' and it came up with Reading for September so it may mean your venue in Bristol has sold out.

I have looked at his official site and I can see he is ' all over the shop ' + a few gigs in Norway and even the USA .

I am amazed he has so many gigs 

must say the ticket price is very reasonable.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:35 PM, Pinhead said:

As much as it was or looks amazing, that world has passed and those that were there like yourselves should feel lucky to have been there and remember it. Probably couldn't or wouldn't happen today at least not in the same way. Its a shame.

Great comment.

I think sometimes at festivals (and other things in life) I'm guilty of trying to re-create the past rather than living in the present.

That said ....going to Beautiful Days last year I think I found most of the people who used to go to Glastonbury pre-super fence! 😄 

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I'm now going to this...

https://www.shiiineon.com/

Like getting in a Tardis and going back 30 years!

I spent a lot of time with Reef in 2001 when they were trying to write their 5th album. They holed up in a remote N Devon farm, which just happened to be owned by a friend of mine. A lot of partying and surfing were done and a lot of jamming, I don't remember much writing of new material.

Nice lads.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:55 AM, Neil said:

i think it was in kings meadow, now stone circle.

Still convinced it was in what is now CN Field. Pic 2, not steep enough for top King's Meadow. Healing Field other side of hedge beyond two red vans. Then there's a hedge and steeper field. 

Pic 1 uphill field boundaries too close considering the gentle gradient to be King's. Same pic 3.

Deffo wasn't Undleground as we were parked up in the field below, a big field, just on the east of the track about 50m from the entrance to Carhenge. 

I could be completely wrong!  😁

On 8/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, glasto-worker said:

it was the last time I bought a ticket - weekend was £21 - cant find 1987 map but I believe this is 1989 so its close enough.

my big memory {and I have extensive photos of it {well the 35mm negatives }
was the Mutoid Waste people driving round in a ' Skull truck ' - they were all over the place that weekend with that truck. if my memory is correct the Mutoid Waste people first showed up in 1986.

Some of the exhibits they ' were using welding torch on site ' - No way would health and safety allow that now.

main highlight was Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians on Friday 19th June  and Richard Thompson on Saturday 20th June

mainly dry but some wet periods got muddy in some areas  

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpg
glasto-89-site-plan.thumb.jpg.17a0dbdcefef86c514359bca4d27969f.jpg

What year did the Jazz World (now West Holts) first appear? 

I notice it was still camping only back in 1989....

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

it started as stage two in 1986 i think.

On 8/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, gooner1990 said:

even although the map may claim ' camping only ' or ' camping and car parking ' it was a lot more flexible than that - to be honest I don't have a clue when they started clamping down because after 1987 I was in crew camping so it did not affect me - as for the other have a read at

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/the-wonderful-world-of-west-holts/

Throughout these changes two principles have cemented West Holts’ foundations, allowing its development into one of those quintessential Glastonbury experiences: it’s got to be about the music and the vibe has got to be right!

So true, the one stage that consistently gets it right.