Volunteering 2023

neil93

Don't suppose anyone doing post festival shifts for recycling crew or any other knows which gate you need to come through to get back on site? 

I popped home last night for some comfort and am driving back on site about 6pm today. Recycling office thought they might reverse the flow out of purple and I might need to use Red Gate? Thanks

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Any reviews ? @JoeyT how did you get on ? 

Of working? It's ok, not as good as going with a ticket. Anyone telling you that they'd only go to Glastonbury working for Oxfam is obviously crazy.

It highlighted to me just how easy it would be easy to get into the festival in the back of someone's van.

Edited by Johnnyseven

Just now, Johnnyseven said:

Of working? It's ok, not as good as going with a ticket. Anyone telling you that they'd only go to Glastonbury working for Oxfam is obviously crazy.

Hi there from a crazy person, although I don't work for Oxfam, but I do work the festival and can honestly say I'd much rather that than be a punter, for a multitude of reasons.

Unfortunately unlucky with general sales this year, but managed to bag a spot with Oxfam in February (Wife used page checker to get one in March).

We applied for early shifts (like 95% of folk, I presume) but were unsuccessful. However, we did get a Monday shift…and also our shifts were together! Our shifts were Thursday 1400-2200, Saturday 0600-1400 and Monday 0600-1400. Doing the Monday was presumably the reason we weren’t given an overnighter?

We arrived on the Monday at 3pm ish and Oxfield was filling up fast. Not much space by Tuesday afternoon for folk arriving then. Was so good to see the site on Monday/ Tuesday! Great atmosphere in the crew bars and to see the Railway Line with hardly a soul on it, an eerie experience.

Anyway, first two shifts were at Sticklinch Ped Gate. Very busy in the afternoon (thankfully under shade) and swapped between checking initial entrants tickets and issuing pass outs. This was the same on Saturday too, but much quieter. Worked with a lovely chatty gang and our supervisors were great. We had a quiz on the Saturday as it was so quiet! Ticket holders generally ok, but a few were disgruntled at the pass-out system. Some people had obviously fake tickets - Security on hand to deal with them though. Glad I wasn’t staying in Sticklinch though - looked to be huge queues for coffee, food and toilets!

Monday we were designated to “Response Team” - which meant that we could be deployed anywhere that needed us. However it seemed over-staffed and we ended up on the Oxfield Gate, chatting to some more nice people.

There was a bus that took us to Sticklinch on the Saturday morning, but didn’t show for the return trip. Had a long meander back through the site instead.

Had a friend who volunteered with WaterAid - her campsite was much smaller and on a big slope. However, a bit closer to Ped Gate B. 

Pros: Great shifts (got lucky), quieter campsite, showers, good community spirit, access to crew bars (Tow and Hitch and Maceo’s my faves), car park next to campsite.

Cons: Bit of a trudge back to the campsite, some people not turning up for shifts (we had a list of about 20/30), a week of camping not good for the back!

Overall - a very good experience! Have got a spot with Oxfam at Shambala, which will give me Priority access for Glastonbury ‘24.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

It highlighted to me just how easy it would be easy to get into the festival in the back of someone's van.

I wouldn’t say I’d only go to the festival with Oxfam, but it’s a great option for me

22 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Crazy person here. 

Having worked for Oxfam when I was younger instead of paying for festivals, I've now returned to them purely for Glasto over recent years. It's my preferred way. I get a whole week on the farm with no entry queues, showers and food, free campervan spot (otherwise £150) and my excessive behaviour is kept in check as I need to be on my A game for my shifts as gate organiser. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

55 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Unfortunately unlucky with general sales this year, but managed to bag a spot with Oxfam in February (Wife used page checker to get one in March).

We applied for early shifts (like 95% of folk, I presume) but were unsuccessful. However, we did get a Monday shift…and also our shifts were together! Our shifts were Thursday 1400-2200, Saturday 0600-1400 and Monday 0600-1400. Doing the Monday was presumably the reason we weren’t given an overnighter?

We arrived on the Monday at 3pm ish and Oxfield was filling up fast. Not much space by Tuesday afternoon for folk arriving then. Was so good to see the site on Monday/ Tuesday! Great atmosphere in the crew bars and to see the Railway Line with hardly a soul on it, an eerie experience.

Anyway, first two shifts were at Sticklinch Ped Gate. Very busy in the afternoon (thankfully under shade) and swapped between checking initial entrants tickets and issuing pass outs. This was the same on Saturday too, but much quieter. Worked with a lovely chatty gang and our supervisors were great. We had a quiz on the Saturday as it was so quiet! Ticket holders generally ok, but a few were disgruntled at the pass-out system. Some people had obviously fake tickets - Security on hand to deal with them though. Glad I wasn’t staying in Sticklinch though - looked to be huge queues for coffee, food and toilets!

Monday we were designated to “Response Team” - which meant that we could be deployed anywhere that needed us. However it seemed over-staffed and we ended up on the Oxfield Gate, chatting to some more nice people.

There was a bus that took us to Sticklinch on the Saturday morning, but didn’t show for the return trip. Had a long meander back through the site instead.

Had a friend who volunteered with WaterAid - her campsite was much smaller and on a big slope. However, a bit closer to Ped Gate B. 

Pros: Great shifts (got lucky), quieter campsite, showers, good community spirit, access to crew bars (Tow and Hitch and Maceo’s my faves), car park next to campsite.

Cons: Bit of a trudge back to the campsite, some people not turning up for shifts (we had a list of about 20/30), a week of camping not good for the back!

Overall - a very good experience! Have got a spot with Oxfam at Shambala, which will give me Priority access for Glastonbury ‘24.

Seemed really bad for people not doing shifts this year. As bad as I've known it. My friend was a team leader on D and he had a fair few including some who did their first two shifts then did a runner. I mean if you're gonna do one, do it from the start! I don't remember them ever checking IDs against a list on the gate before.

I only had 2 stewards with me on each shift so luckily I had 100% attendance. 

Apologies if I upset anyone with my crazy comment, if working it works for you it's none of my business to comment really. The festival was a lot harder work when working, lack of sleep after my night shift took its toll and being out all day in the sun with no shade on Saturday gave me a spot of sunstroke and I had to go back to my tent feeling ill. I learned I need to take it a bit easier if I work it again, it's still better than not going at all though.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Apologies if I upset anyone with my crazy comment, if working it works for you it's none of my business to comment really. The festival was a lot harder work when working, lack of sleep after my night shift took its toll and being out all day in the sun with no shade on Saturday gave me a spot of sunstroke and I had to go back to my tent feeling ill. I learned I need to take it a bit easier if I work it again, it's still better than not going at all though.

Actually working for Oxfam was perfectly ok though. It's well organised and you get a nice spot to camp [if you get there early]. My only criticism was that I was placed on a vehicle gate and seem to have been expected to understand a complicated system of tickets and vehicle passes in about 5 minutes. It turned out though we never needed to check IDs on tickets, as long as someone had one or a wristband they were fine. Vehicle passes were another complicated story though but there's a gate crew that work 8 to 10pm that pick that up.

56 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

A big part of Glastonbury for me is getting away from work and other commitments, not having to worry about anything and having the freedom to do what I want, when I want - so obviously working gets in the way of that. Working it is still far better than not going at all though

37 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

A big part of Glastonbury for me is getting away from work and other commitments, not having to worry about anything and having the freedom to do what I want, when I want - so obviously working gets in the way of that. Working it is still far better than not going at all though

I appriciate that volunteering for the likes of Oxfam and Wateraid can negatively impact on your festival enjoyment, dependent on what shifts you get, but there are bonuses.

Full disclosure for those not aware, I only work prior to the festival, usually finishing at midnight on the Wednesday (this year was unusual as I had a Thursday shift). I appriciate that I am very fortunate and this slightly skews my view on volunteering.

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I wasn't upset (and I don't imagine anyone else was), just pointing out that some people do prefer it. For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. We were actually talking about it in my group this year and everyone said they'd want to keep working. The main benefit for me is knowing that as long as I want to go I can go without having to get involved in the ticket scramble.

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Actually working for Oxfam was perfectly ok though. It's well organised and you get a nice spot to camp [if you get there early]. My only criticism was that I was placed on a vehicle gate and seem to have been expected to understand a complicated system of tickets and vehicle passes in about 5 minutes. It turned out though we never needed to check IDs on tickets, as long as someone had one or a wristband they were fine. Vehicle passes were another complicated story though but there's a gate crew that work 8 to 10pm that pick that up.

No one understands the tickets/wristbands//vehicle passes. It's ridiculously complex.

Yeah, chalk me down for volunteering ahead of tickets too - it’d be a bit of a stretch to save up the £400 odd for ticket and parking, and working helps ensure I don’t drink lots cos I have to be up and ok for my shifts, too. I don’t mind missing bits of the festival, getting there on a Monday means we get extra at the beginning anyways - with the staff bars, nice camping with showers and the contribution we help make to charity, it’s an all round great package for me. 
Ive been to nine Glastonburys and much prefer heavier music that is rare to find, so I don’t have anywhere near as much FOMO as a lot of other people might: I’m quite content to sit down in t+c and bask in the funny around me, which can be done at all times of the day and shifts don’t especially effect that. 
can totally see if doesn’t suit everyone though! If you get a bum shift pattern that stops you from seeing the band you love, that’d suck. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

If you get a bum shift pattern that stops you from seeing the band you love, that’d suck. 

I actually ended up with a good shift pattern, Oxfam shift pattern A. I was convinced i'd get a stinker it being my first time. I also wasn't stationed too far away, 2 shifts on VG5 and 1 on a pedestrian road crossing between camp and PGB, so i've not got anything to complain about. I'm sure I missed stuff I would normally have seen but because I got my place really late (courtesy of a lovely fella on here) I hadn't really paid much attention to the line up so didn't really know what I was missing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I actually ended up with a good shift pattern, Oxfam shift pattern A. I was convinced i'd get a stinker it being my first time. I also wasn't stationed too far away, 2 shifts on VG5 and 1 on a pedestrian road crossing between camp and PGB, so i've not got anything to complain about. I'm sure I missed stuff I would normally have seen but because I got my place really late (courtesy of a lovely fella on here) I hadn't really paid much attention to the line up so didn't really know what I was missing.

It’s always worth trying to schedule some decent rest time in after shifts too - my first instinct is always to gambol off, all full of intentions to see this and do that, and my feet just can’t do anything like what my mind wants to: I’ve taken to heading to Tow & Hitch for an hour after an early, having a beer in an armchair, and taking my shoes n socks off. It’s not rock n roll, it’s deeply boring behaviour, but it is really restorative. They’ll have a DJ putting out a nice bit of afternoon dub, and it’ll be relaxed and lovely - bit of time there and I’m sorted 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

It’s always worth trying to schedule some decent rest time in after shifts too - my first instinct is always to gambol off, all full of intentions to see this and do that, and my feet just can’t do anything like what my mind wants to: I’ve taken to heading to Tow & Hitch for an hour after an early, having a beer in an armchair, and taking my shoes n socks off. It’s not rock n roll, it’s deeply boring behaviour, but it is really restorative. They’ll have a DJ putting out a nice bit of afternoon dub, and it’ll be relaxed and lovely - bit of time there and I’m sorted 👍

Damn, that's an idea I need to remember for next year. A lot of my shifts were very close to T&H, and would have been a lot closer than heading back to camp!

This year I got a much better location on PGC, which was much nearer to base than what I got last year (anything would be!) & it was busy and the time went fast. I was really happy with the location and would choose PGB or C every time I think if I was able to choose.

I was an accidental supervisor. Somehow I had ticked the box, and I got a Gate Organiser role. It could’ve been worse because that role places you with 4 other supervisors and a Team Leader, so I didn’t really have to make any difficult decisions on my own, and I worked with a really great bunch of stewards, but starting and finishing an hour earlier than my OH was awkward and I did a lot of running about. 

We also got the dreaded D shift pattern! This means going on shift before the headliners on Friday for our overnight, & pretty much writing off Sunday, although we did get to see the vast majority of Elton. Only Saturday as a full day off but this follows the Fri/Sat overnight shift & with the high temperatures in Saturday it was hard to make the most of it. Still we did pack in a fair few acts. 

It’s hard work and my feet do suffer. Taking the weight off them as much as possible is a must, especially in the kind of heat we had. I miss just wandering and with the time off we had I felt the need to focus in making the most of it, which isn’t how I’ve seen Glastonbury in the past, but I think that’s maybe changed a lot regardless of working due to the crowds.

4 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

The festival was a lot harder work when working, lack of sleep after my night shift took its toll and being out all day in the sun with no shade on Saturday gave me a spot of sunstroke and I had to go back to my tent feeling ill. I learned I need to take it a bit easier if I work it again, it's still better than not going at all though.

That is a factor.  This was my second year with Oxfam and i knew much better what to expect now.  Paced myself better and knew when there are no queues for showers etc.  Trying to sleep after the night shift is a killer though in that heat.  That was the toughest moment for me.  It *IS* tiring. 

7 minutes ago, Steel city camper said:

If I was to volunteer for let's say Leeds this year would would it give me more of a chance of a volunteering spot at Glastonbury next year ??

For Oxfam you need to do two festivals to get priority next year. Which essentially guarantees you a place

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

Damn, that's an idea I need to remember for next year. A lot of my shifts were very close to T&H, and would have been a lot closer than heading back to camp!

(Whispers it quietly) there’s a bed there. In Tow &  Hitch. A full proper made up bed. The amount of lustful looks I’ve sent towards it: not the people in it, they can all piss off and get out of the way, no matter how gorgeous they might be - I just want a king nap in a bed in a bar at Glastonbury 🥳

• Like 1