Volunteering 2023

neil93

2 hours ago, Derbyphil said:

Well, after 19 years of attending as a punter I have joined the Oxfam team. If you see a solo bewildered middle aged man wandering around, say hello. See you in July.  😉

In the same club… first time Oxfam volunteer and going solo! See you on the farm, not long to go 😀

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Quick poll for the people that have had success, what's the earliest time in the morning slots have come up? Just trying to work out what time we should be getting up in the morning to maximise our chances.

Seen a slot at 9am

7 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Quick poll for the people that have had success, what's the earliest time in the morning slots have come up? Just trying to work out what time we should be getting up in the morning to maximise our chances.

I dont recall anything before 9am (Edit)

I got another one just after 8pm last Thursday

Edited by faymondo

1 hour ago, audy__ said:

I got one for a friend at 5pm! Don’t give up guys….

just filling out the online form attached to her account and the online training courses aren’t until after the festival…is that right?

i got sent a pre-recorded video link that i needed to confirm i'd watched a week before glastonbury 2019 so I'd imagine this is what they'll do now

Edited by gazzared
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, audy__ said:

I got one for a friend at 5pm! Don’t give up guys….

just filling out the online form attached to her account and the online training courses aren’t until after the festival…is that right?

The office will contact her about training shortly, it won’t be a problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chewbarker said:

I keep refreshing in flashes throughout the day but haven't even seen Glastonbury become available to select, let alone get to the proceed page. Won't give up though! Trying every hour and half hour pretty much. 

I think quite a few people are already on to the next page & refresh on the hour & half hour so they get straight through. With ApplePay payment is pretty much immediate. 

I got on to the next page & like a dumba55 I clicked back instead of refresh so am back to 'select your Festival' drop down. 

I've taken 4 days off work to dedicate myself to this... ended up in Pilton while my wing girl refreshed for me as I was driving. 

Ate in The Crown & it was lush! The Pilton land is looking beautiful... if a little soggy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, manclisa said:

I really am feeling a sense of despair. Constantly refreshing. I lost the proceed page earlier today and haven’t been able to get it back. I’m try to stay as positive as possible. But my god it’s hard. Can’t bare the thought of not being there. 

I feel your pain. You're not alone xx

Another success today (not me, but a friend for another friend) - Got the Glastonbury (not sold out ) at 12:30 - but then stuck on the proceed, kept it active and kept trying and then paid at 16:30 ... he's a flippin legend, and my friend is thrilled, buzzing and still shaking

The 'half past' theory stands, plus the 'get past the first stage and keep trying on the payment

Good luck everyone 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sorry this has probably been explained countless times already but the option to cover a late shift at glasto, does that mean a day time 8 hours on the Monday i take it? 

and to the regulars, what would you say is the worst case scenario for your shift pattern? What are the chances of getting Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

21 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Sorry this has probably been explained countless times already but the option to cover a late shift at glasto, does that itmean a day time 8 hours on the Monday i take it? 

and to the regulars, what would you say is the worst case scenario for your shift pattern? What are the chances of getting Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

It does. The advantage being it's one less shift over the weekend.

Very very unlikely but not zero. I remember meeting someone who had somehow ended up with (or at least claimed to have, and I don't know why they'd lie) an evening shift on the three big days. Might have been a couple of mates who'd gone together. No idea how or why but if true that was fucking harsh.

19 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Sorry this has probably been explained countless times already but the option to cover a late shift at glasto, does that mean a day time 8 hours on the Monday i take it? 

It’s possible - I think all the shift patterns do get one shift out of the way on Wednesday or Thursday, but if you have your overnight on Friday or Saturday, it impacts in both days. Last year we had Wednesday afternoon, Friday morning (needing to be up at the crack of dawn and working til 2pm) and Saturday overnight (10pm to 6am) which took out Saturday night headliners and meant a very slow start on Sunday.

Glastonbury is not an easy festival to work because there is so much walking to get to many of the shifts, and then so much walking when you want to enjoy yourself too! The shift pattern I got isn’t untypical in its overall nature in that when you aren’t on a shift, there’s likely to be some extent to which you are recovering from a shift. 

After our shift on Friday I remember seeing TLC, Sleaford Mods, Dub Pistols, Idles, Sam Fender and Billie Eilish - so we had a really good run after our shift.

Saturday, the first thing we did was took the things we would need for our overnight shift to lockups at that end of the site. We took it pretty steady and we saw Celeste and The Avalanches, spending time in crew bars in between. We could hear Megan Thee Stallion and PaulMcCartney drifting over to where we were stationed.

Sunday - we felt pretty devastated as the overnighter is a killer, but after a sleep we got down to The Pyramid for the end of Diana Ross, wandered up to The Acoustic and sat outside for The Bootleg Beatles, wandered back down for Lourde, and wound up with The Dualers at Avalon as our Sunday headliner. We then partied in the Acoustic crew bar to about 3am before deciding the festival had done us.

I think that’s a reasonable example of how you might juggle working with the festival and how your shifts might impact.

The last shift is a clearing the site shift - car park duty etc - & yes it is Monday daytime  - needing to go through to sort of mid-evening.

• Like 1

Those of you with several people trying...

What do you do when it comes to payment if a stranger is trying for you?

Trust them with your every last penny marked for Pilton or try & log in at the same time to see the payment page? Or get them to pay & pay them back?

Dilemma!

1 hour ago, JezzaBelle said:

Those of you with several people trying...

What do you do when it comes to payment if a stranger is trying for you?

Trust them with your every last penny marked for Pilton or try & log in at the same time to see the payment page? Or get them to pay & pay them back?

Dilemma!

Trust them upfront is the only way! If they need to contact you for card details the place will go to someone else.

Best of luck everybody and remember the pattern seems to be spaces on the half and hour so refresh at least from 29-33 and 59 to 03.

Pattern seems to be you need the Glastonbury option to come up but you wont be able to proceed but then the next time by pressing proceed numerous times (Not refresh this will boot you back) then the payment screen is next and in you get.

20 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Best of luck everybody and remember the pattern seems to be spaces on the half and hour so refresh at least from 29-33 and 59 to 03.

Pattern seems to be you need the Glastonbury option to come up but you wont be able to proceed but then the next time by pressing proceed numerous times (Not refresh this will boot you back) then the payment screen is next and in you get.

there is a pattern! 🙃