Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

I note Festaff do the wristbanding at Glasto, but what do their staff do after most people have been wristbanded on the initial days of the festival? Surely there's not much for them to do on Saturday, I guess on Sunday they have the day ticket folks to deal with. 

just to add to what has already been said, my mate worked 2 of his festaff shifts on wed/thurs then the last on Saturday morning bright and early

7 minutes ago, svphie said:

just to add to what has already been said, my mate worked 2 of his festaff shifts on wed/thurs then the last on Saturday morning bright and early

That's exactly my shifts with Oxfam last year!  Although I don't expect such luck two years in a row. 

22 hours ago, amfy said:

If you are free for the right dates, there are definitely spaces for 2 festivals with Oxfam this year which would give you priority to volunteer for Glastonbury (& all the other festivals) next year.

I'm definitely tempted. Can you do it as a couple, get the same shifts etc?  

Also, I saw carnage mentioned above and that ties into my other question - has anyone done Creamfields? and is it as crazy as I'd expect? I wouldn't normally consider it but its literally a 15 minute taxi ride from my house so would be the most convenient of options. And I've always been intrigued!!

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Also, I saw carnage mentioned above and that ties into my other question - has anyone done Creamfields? and is it as crazy as I'd expect?

This will be at best third or fouth hand. And I have no way of verifying it - it didn't come direct from an Oxfam staff member. But I've been told that Creamfields is one that Oxfam refuse to bid for the contract anymore based on past experiences.

Given that they do happily go to Boomtown, Boardmasters, and R/L, that's an interesting line to draw.

Edited by incident

7 minutes ago, incident said:

This will be at best third or fouth hand. And I have no way of verifying it - it didn't come direct from an Oxfam staff member. But I've been told that Creamfields is one that Oxfam refuse to bid for the contract anymore based on past experiences.

Given that they do happily go to Boomtown, Boardmasters, and R/L, that's an interesting line to draw.

Hmm fits in with what I'd expect. if I elaborated further it would be offensive, but I can 100% see the line (though Leeds maybe runs it close). 

The loyalty scheme is well and truly active for most of the charities now. WaterAid are on the bandwagon of "do more shit with us and increase Glastonbury chances"

It's a good start to get involved with the charities. I appreciate many will be solely focused on just getting into Glastonbury but it can be so much more than that. 

Edited by Jay Pee

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

The loyalty scheme is well and truly active for most of the charities now. WaterAid are on the bandwagon of "do more shit with us and increase Glastonbury chances"

It's a good start to get involved with the charities. I appreciate many will be solely focused on just getting into Glastonbury but it can be so much more than that. 

Fully agree. I enjoy the work, the extra days on site, mixing with people I wouldn’t do normally.  

Knowing what I know now, I’d do any two festivals with Oxfam to avoid T-day in October. 4 minute resale is a sign of times to come imo

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Fully agree. I enjoy the work, the extra days on site, mixing with people I wouldn’t do normally.  

Knowing what I know now, I’d do any two festivals with Oxfam to avoid T-day in October. 4 minute resale is a sign of times to come imo

Same here. It's a whole new world of attending festivals. We go to about 5 a year and have a volunteer role in 2 or 3. 

My partner teaches at the school at Bearded Theory which we are so pleased to see has been retained with the new ownership.

It helps that we are both well and truly middle aged so not chasing the sunrises every night but enjoy the different side to festivals.  Being on site for ten days this year will be interesting seeing the take down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm definitely tempted. Can you do it as a couple, get the same shifts etc?  

Also, I saw carnage mentioned above and that ties into my other question - has anyone done Creamfields? and is it as crazy as I'd expect? I wouldn't normally consider it but its literally a 15 minute taxi ride from my house so would be the most convenient of options. And I've always been intrigued!!

You don’t sign up as a couple (or group) but once signed up you can link your profiles to be put on the same shifts. You will almost always be in the same location (especially a couple rather than a group) but they will at the very least put you on the same shift pattern so you can enjoy your downtime together.

if you have the time I’d say go for it this year. Oxfam opening to the public has started to be a ‘Ticket Day’ level of bunfight the last couple of years so it’s worth having priority.

The extra days on site and the crew bars open up a whole new side to all the festivals too.

8 minutes ago, amfy said:

You don’t sign up as a couple (or group) but once signed up you can link your profiles to be put on the same shifts. You will almost always be in the same location (especially a couple rather than a group) but they will at the very least put you on the same shift pattern so you can enjoy your downtime together.

if you have the time I’d say go for it this year. Oxfam opening to the public has started to be a ‘Ticket Day’ level of bunfight the last couple of years so it’s worth having priority.

The extra days on site and the crew bars open up a whole new side to all the festivals too.

Amazing thanks for all that! 

One last question, as its Festaff I'm looking at this year (though we do have an Oxfam shop in town for another option), do those applications get done before ticket day?

I wouldn't complain at spending time at two or more festivals every year to give me a chance of Glastonbury as a backup because I love festivals in general, but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw my hat into volunteering as the only option just yet

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

One last question, as its Festaff I'm looking at this year (though we do have an Oxfam shop in town for another option), do those applications get done before ticket day?

I wouldn't complain at spending time at two or more festivals every year to give me a chance of Glastonbury as a backup because I love festivals in general, but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw my hat into volunteering as the only option just yet

@Losing my hair is doing oxfam shops this year so can impart his wisdom 

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Priority apply in about February & the public a week later. You can usually cancel at no charge until just after resale day, & after that’s there’s a small admin charge, until 6 weeks before the festival when you could lose the whole deposit.

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think a lot of them now close their original application process before ticket balance is due and also tend to give out the volunteer slots pre resale.

I Only have WaterAid experience but I think they are realising that the madness of trying to get into the festival in some way shape or form is having an impact on all charities. Lots more applications to process for a similar number of volunteer places. It takes time and effort so the introduction of a loyalty scheme should go some way to helping that and embed a loyal volunteer base you can rely on. That is priceless. With some new people each year which is also really important.

I have to say, I'm one of those. I'm quite driven and kind find the best in any situation. Even Staring at someones else's poo at 8am after 2 hours kip.

It does become quite addictive though and there is something special about being on site Mon pre festival with the lush fields unfilled. It's my 6th time on site this year with them and love it.  I am a WaterAid speaker now and go chatting to primary school kids about the basic human rights access to clean water, a toilet and hygienic conditions. Plus the impact of Climate Change on parts of the world already getting smashed by all the other current global madness.

Honestly, time is precious but one of the most fulfilling things is giving something for others and getting to do that at Glastonbury is ALL the stars aligning for me. 2019 festival was one of the best weeks of my life and I'm 53 and seen my team lift the European Cup in person. It was on a par with that the volunteer week.  I have PTSD from Afghanistan and know what to prioritize in life and what makes me feel good.

If I can encourage other volunteers to see beyond Glastonbury, that has to be a good thing 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. I was going to do Boomtown if I had to do a 2nd, i've always wanted to go but mates have never been keen. Can anyone who's been comment on what stewarding at Boomtown is like, is it absolute carnage and full of folks off their nut? Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Did Boomtown last year with Oxfam. 

Shifts were all in the bowl (the arena), mixture of crossing points, roaming, general direction, some people in the pits giving out water. (Could change this year but no campsite patrols which are dull)

I never had an overnight, I lucked out massively. 

Thurs 8-4 (roaming an area that didn't open until 12 so there was really not much to do)

Sat 12-8 (crossing points and roaming in the woods)

Sun 8-4 (directing people to the top up points, 34° in the sun after 3 hours sleep acting as a human sign was not fun though.But the rest of the fest was incredible. )

Volunteers also got to bring in as much booze as you could carry on first entry which was really good. 

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

It can be absolute carnage but weirdly, on the two occasions I've done it I've ended up with really (like REALLY) quiet locations. Was fun listening to the radio at the chaos unfolding elsewhere though.

Radio is great fun if you're not having to use it. Particular highlight was at wilderness where the stewards were updating on the Deer blocking one of the gates

"Yellow Gate to Oxbox, just to update the deer from earlier has turned into a herd and barked at us when we tried to shoo them away"

7 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Radio is great fun if you're not having to use it. Particular highlight was at wilderness where the stewards were updating on the Deer blocking one of the gates

"Yellow Gate to Oxbox, just to update the deer from earlier has turned into a herd and barked at us when we tried to shoo them away"

One of my greatest festival experiences was at an early beatherder festival which is in the Ribble Valley and a very popular walking route.

Mid afternoon Saturday and everyone lazing around the main stage watching a mid afternoon band, skinning up, drinking cider etc.

A handful of steward's come marching through with about 30 senior citizens on a purposeful walk. The festival was on their right of way and to hell were they deviating!

Needles to say, they ended up dancing and taking offered Beers. Brilliant moment. Age is a state of mind 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

One of my greatest festival experiences was at an early beatherder festival which is in the Ribble Valley and a very popular walking route.

Mid afternoon Saturday and everyone lazing around the main stage watching a mid afternoon band, skinning up, drinking cider etc.

A handful of steward's come marching through with about 30 senior citizens on a purposeful walk. The festival was on their right of way and to hell were they deviating!

Needles to say, they ended up dancing and taking offered Beers. Brilliant moment. Age is a state of mind 

Reminds me of this 

1 hour ago, amfy said:

Priority apply in about February & the public a week later. You can usually cancel at no charge until just after resale day, & after that’s there’s a small admin charge, until 6 weeks before the festival when you could lose the whole deposit.

Awesome stuff - plan is to assume that if its an unsuccessful main sale that it's not happening and work on volunteering (obviously after getting the relevant experience at others) so that timing works pretty well. Thanks a lot! 

Has anyone volunteering with Oxfam at Glastonbury ever stayed at Worthy View please? My boyfriend has a Oxfam volunteer place, and I have a general admission ticket. We were hoping to get lucky on Sunday, but like many others we weren't. Just wondering if he would be able to get into Worthy View to camp with us? We have allowed for him in numbers. He would still fulfill his volunteering shifts. We just would like to be able to camp together. 

12 minutes ago, fitzkate said:

Has anyone volunteering with Oxfam at Glastonbury ever stayed at Worthy View please? My boyfriend has a Oxfam volunteer place, and I have a general admission ticket. We were hoping to get lucky on Sunday, but like many others we weren't. Just wondering if he would be able to get into Worthy View to camp with us? We have allowed for him in numbers. He would still fulfill his volunteering shifts. We just would like to be able to camp together. 

Can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if Oxfam allow him to camp anywhere other than Oxfam camping, esp if it's his first time with them.

12 minutes ago, fitzkate said:

It certainly won't be officially sanctioned, and he won't be able to get officially credentialed for WV.

It may or may not be achievable, but how practical it is will depend massively on where his shifts are (hell, if they're at Pennard Hill Gate then it'd maybe work well). At minimum he'll need to camp in the Oxfam field before the festival opens as WV won't be available, so I'd say work to the assumption that his primary base is in the Oxfam field and he may or may not be able to head home with you some nights depending on how things look on the ground.

I don't think there's any danger of him skipping shifts here - nobody doing that would then be stupid enough to go in and out of staffed gates any more than they absolutely needed to.

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Can't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if Oxfam allow him to camp anywhere other than Oxfam camping, esp if it's his first time with them.

Yeah. That's the worry but how do they check that you're actually even staying in your tent. He would still be there for the training, and then doing his shifts. We know it's a risk though! 

7 minutes ago, incident said:

It certainly won't be officially sanctioned, and he won't be able to get officially credentialed for WV.

It may or may not be achievable, but how practical it is will depend massively on where his shifts are (hell, if they're at Pennard Hill Gate then it'd maybe work well). At minimum he'll need to camp in the Oxfam field before the festival opens as WV won't be available, so I'd say work to the assumption that his primary base is in the Oxfam field and he may or may not be able to head home with you some nights depending on how things look on the ground.

I don't think there's any danger of him skipping shifts here - nobody doing that would then be stupid enough to go in and out of staffed gates any more than they absolutely needed to.

Thanks so much you getting back to me! He absolutely wouldn't skip shifts. Far too much of a risk for future opportunities.