Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

I'm a newbie too and would like to know this, have a feeling places all gone before we even get a chance..

I think this might be the first year of this priority Vs none priority so they might have kept a few places back.  You'd hope so anyway, but they don't have the best admin track record.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Well that’s another shred of hope gone. Starting to think it isn’t my year 😔

You’ll definitely get an Oxfam place if you are determined! Don’t give up hope yet! 

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Do shelter have a quota for returners and another quota for newbies ? 

I think that’s it but we’ll find out on Thursday. The wording suggests that it’s full and you can go on waiting list only 😞  

1 hour ago, 4519dennis said:

Got Shelter acknowledgment of payment which has a link to their FAQ.

This confirms Bristol is the leaving point -

"Avalon Bars & Events provides free coaches to and from the designated meeting spot in Bristol to the festival."

It's so weird they've done this again. 

Why can't they just park at the festival like Oxfam volunteers?

In my opinion, it just makes it an unattractive offer. 

1 hour ago, 4519dennis said:

Got Shelter acknowledgment of payment which has a link to their FAQ.

This confirms Bristol is the leaving point -

"Avalon Bars & Events provides free coaches to and from the designated meeting spot in Bristol to the festival."

What kind of shifts do you have to do with Shelter ? Is it bar work Fri to Sun ? 

55 minutes ago, lazymagnet said:

It says on the site not to apply if you want to go to glasto as chances are slim! Do you think it’s worth a go?

Couple of my friends are paramedics and they had to sort their places for Glastonbury back in October. 

1 hour ago, lazymagnet said:

It says on the site not to apply if you want to go to glasto as chances are slim! Do you think it’s worth a go?

Maybe not for Glastonbury this year but if you volunteer at Reading this year you are almost guaranteed a spot next year. We also cover WOMAD, Glastonbury Extravaganza and Pilton Party. I’ve been going every year since 2009 with them.

I know the Pre Hospital team which I help coordinate are full and have over 70 on the reserve list.

Edited by westholtschic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lazymagnet said:

It wasn’t a dig! 😂 Some people said they were newbies and had got theirs yday so I was just checking in I hadn’t been missed!

14 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Past 10am, still no email.. what time do they start work..?!

Sadly I think that the email won't be coming but I've just emailed them to ask. 

The Tuesday form page still says 'capacity reached - email us to be added to the waiting list' 

Might be a bit late for me to ask this now, since we just bagged a couple of shelter places in a bit of a blind panic - but does this work like Oxfam where you get your money back by completing your shifts?

Also...is there a way to buddy-up your shifts with a partner with Shelter?