Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 minute ago, e_p said:

when do you find out your shifts for Oxfam?  

when you register on arrival at the festival. 

they will be in your pack you get given with your tabbard, info, food and shower tokens etc.

8 minutes ago, e_p said:

when do you find out your shifts for Oxfam?  

When you arrive and check in - be careful though, you'll have a bunch of people trying to see what shifts you have and see if they're the ones they desire! I got jumped on by a few people wanting my shift pattern!

Just now, e_p said:

so presumably those that arrive monday early get the best allocation?

They're all pre-allocated beforehand so when you arrive doesn't matter either way! Just luck of the draw.

Having said that, if you want to try and swap your shift then getting in early is obviously a plus.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:00 PM, Martin Ashford said:

I failed to get a ticket again but I'm in with Oxfam Priority as I did 5 festivals including Glastonbury with them last year. One of the best perks last year was realising that our Crew wristbands could get us into ANY crew bar. Normally i have relied on other crew mates getting me a pass. On realising this I managed to get backstage at  The Pyramid/Other on Friday afternoon and immediately after Macca's set. So I did, John Peel, West Holts, Arcadia,  Acoustic and Outside Circus. Only disappointment is there is a PUB with a proper sign just behind the Pyramid and me and my friend were not allowed access (probably Macca, Grohl and Bruce were having a knees up in there)

Hmm, security mucked up there... A crew wristband is not enough to get you into the interstage compound!! Well done on the blag thou!

1 minute ago, LeeHC said:

Hmm, security mucked up there... A crew wristband is not enough to get you into the interstage compound!! Well done on the blag thou!

Slight off topic but we mooched in there by mistake after a set on the Other Stage one year. I think our innocence got us in !! 

7 minutes ago, Bob123456 said:

how do shifts swaps work

Last few years there's been a clipboard where you could write down your shifts, which rotation you'd like, and your phone number. Then it's just a case of waiting and hoping someone gives you a call. Just keep in mind for Glasto (not sure about other fests) you need to swap all three shifts.

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Tips for first timers!

priorities: make your bed space as comfy as possible. Dont sleep on the floor in a crappy sleeping bag, bring a nice duvet and a decent mattress thingo. If you sleep well, you're going to ensure you have the max amount of energy for the festival on top of working. It is bloody knackering! 

Insoles, hiking boots, nice socks - your foot comfort is of extreme importance, you'll be on your feet for eight hours and need to be comfortable

Layers for the night shift - it gets really bloody cold! 

get there as early as you can, definitely aim for the monday - wandering around before the punters get there is great

always remember the staff bars during the festival - sofas and seats galore, its brilliant having a pint and a nice sitdown after your shift, youve earnt it! 

bring a variety of ambient food for your tent - cereal bars, munchy things, loads of fruit. The food in the oxfield is pretty decent, but it cant hurt to have a few snacky things. a bag of maoam pinballs at 5am on your night shift is beautiful. 

A duvet? 😂 How big is your bag??! Great advice for the rest mind!

Edited by LeeHC
Added more

4 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Last few years there's been a clipboard where you could write down your shifts, which rotation you'd like, and your phone number. Then it's just a case of waiting and hoping someone gives you a call. Just keep in mind for Glasto (not sure about other fests) you need to swap all three shifts.

That’s right. Glasto you have to change all three shifts and the chances are, if you are trying to swap for a particular headliner, everyone else is trying to do the same. But you might get lucky.

Other Oxfam festivals I have worked, you can swap just one shift.