Bearded Theory 2023

jimmillen

23 minutes ago, changingman said:

Hi Guys, 

Finally bit the bullet (better late then never right!) First time for us this year. 

On the electricity point, I'm a vaper so do you know if there are any portable chargers for hire/rent on site? EOTR has previously had chargers which you can rent for a couple of hours to charge phones etc. Do have a couple of power banks but not sure they'll last the full weekend. 

Thanks

There used to be a safe deposit place but it was not there last year and you could charge phones there - nothing to say it will be back so likely not.

I liked the lockers in the arena, throw your car keys and stuff in there and forget about them. We also used them to store beer during the day. Kept them reasonably cool and less to carry about.

As mentioned, nothing to indicate they are back but I hope so. For a festival that does its best on stopping tent thieves, it seems odd there is nowhere to store valuables.

8 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I liked the lockers in the arena, throw your car keys and stuff in there and forget about them. We also used them to store beer during the day. Kept them reasonably cool and less to carry about.

As mentioned, nothing to indicate they are back but I hope so. For a festival that does its best on stopping tent thieves, it seems odd there is nowhere to store valuables.

Yes, the only lockable place really is your car! I suppose if you hide your spare card/cash somewhere tucked away not in an obvious place that would work.

14 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I have checked my messages - the last one I had was July last year!

That's cos I sent it to the wrong person LOL I have now rectified that.

Sorry @Rumblestripeyou got a message that you may not have understood why I sent. My bad.

Edited by Nobody Interesting
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That's cos I sent it to the wrong person LOL I have now rectified that.

Sorry @Rumblestripeyou got a message that you may not have understood why I sent. My bad.

No worries, that's pretty much how my life rolls nowadays, filled with stuff I don't understand! 😀

anyone on site got a wasp report? as a cider drinker, wasps are the worst... hoping to remain un-plagued by them until June if poss!

looking forward to lots of pints sitting on lush grass, figured out how to put up new tent today! (Go Outdoors is full of crazy bargains at the moment, got a really decent 3-man for £75)

Been off work today to get everything sorted. Just need to put everything in my bag then I'm good to go. Me and my boyfriend are travelling by coach, did the same in 2019 but I have no recollection of where it dropped us. Think it might have been the far end of the field. Does anyone know? 

Others in our group are going in car/campervan so they have helped with some of our stuff thankfully.

22 minutes ago, AmyShambles said:

Been off work today to get everything sorted. Just need to put everything in my bag then I'm good to go. Me and my boyfriend are travelling by coach, did the same in 2019 but I have no recollection of where it dropped us. Think it might have been the far end of the field. Does anyone know? 

Others in our group are going in car/campervan so they have helped with some of our stuff thankfully.

Usually far end of car park - 5-10 mins depending on speed walk to wristband exchange.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rock bus said:

Heard about some issues re the camp site and room for tents last year. I cant go until Friday morning so getting a bit concerned!

Only need space for 1 three person tent is that likely to be an issue?

It will be fine. Last year was a one off. If finding it hard to find a spot just ask a steward.

17 minutes ago, Rock bus said:

Heard about some issues re the camp site and room for tents last year. I cant go until Friday morning so getting a bit concerned!

Only need space for 1 three person tent is that likely to be an issue?

You'll be fine. Ultimately they will have to find a space for you. To be honest I was a bit concerned with the nessage they put out this year so we are taking our semi-knackered 4 berth rather than our shiny new 6 berth. Last year it wasnt the tents that was the issue, it was the massive bloody gazebos...some people were totally taking the piss. 

36 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

You'll be fine. Ultimately they will have to find a space for you. To be honest I was a bit concerned with the nessage they put out this year so we are taking our semi-knackered 4 berth rather than our shiny new 6 berth. Last year it wasnt the tents that was the issue, it was the massive bloody gazebos...some people were totally taking the piss. 

From reading loads of 'newbie' posts on FB so many seem to be taking the literal kitchen sink so sadly we may see more of the stupid huge gazebos.
In one conversation someone said 'if the gazebo was not there it would just be empty space not used!!!!! Yeh, cos nobody wanted to stick a tent up did they!

Fingers toes and more crossed that the demographic does not alter that much - that is my main concern, not the new owners.

See you in the fields. Have  a blast.

23 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

From reading loads of 'newbie' posts on FB so many seem to be taking the literal kitchen sink so sadly we may see more of the stupid huge gazebos.
In one conversation someone said 'if the gazebo was not there it would just be empty space not used!!!!! Yeh, cos nobody wanted to stick a tent up did they!

Fingers toes and more crossed that the demographic does not alter that much - that is my main concern, not the new owners.

The gazebo thing does my absolute fruit in. 

You too...have an absolute cracker! (if you see somebody in a blue t-shirt on Thursday with a picture of Corbyn on it say hello!)

17 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think there's a bit of common sense in a middle ground here.   It's a bit ridiculous when people rope off huge amounts of space, and/or have gazebos everywhere taking up valuable camping space.

OTH if you are in a large group, it is nice to have some communal area where you can put chairs around and hang out. And a gazebo can be life saving to those of us with very fair skin,  or to shelter from the rain.  But you don't need huge amounts of space for it.

It falls squarely into that category of "don't be a dick".   Unfortunately some festivals have tried to ban gazebos because quite often people can't not be dicks.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

Sorry but you have to prebook access to the power points and they always sell out fast given the number of people who want to bring toasters, microwaves, wide screen TV etc

PLEASE NOTE - this post may contain sarcasm

The real answer is no

Edited to add, at Lakefest we have seen toasters and microwaves and more being carried into the glamping area where they had electric hook up!!! Bonkers.

Couple of years ago at Latitude we found a George Foreman type grill plugged in to the phone charging points in the Oxfam stewards marquee. 

On 5/24/2023 at 8:16 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

We tried Lakefest last year after having gone ages ago when we had free tickets.......

We will never do it again. It was just wrong on so many levels from the army recruiting stall, to the electric hook up spots for tents to the groups of racists being very racist to the indifference of the organisers when you point out the way the car park is filled means people wheeling camping gear are walking directly into cars as they arrive (several near misses!).

Everyone's hair look amazing though...

Really enjoyed the first day. Slight delay getting in but nothing too major. The seperate queue for families I didnt really understand (although still took advantage as have the babby with us). Could do with more ale choice but otherwise great day. Massively enjoyed 'Oh My God Its The Church!'

Queued about 40 mins to get in as decided to go early and the gate opening was delayed. No bother though.

Excellent first day. Loved Heartworms and glad i stayed on for Queen Bee after Orielles. Big Ed is a fun change. Good that they've put toilets in the Woodland now.