Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

Am in hospital having finally had my right hip replaced-we weren’t lucky in the main sale but I am not sure I’ll be fit enough by end June so may just have to miss out this year after 21 years 🙁was going to try in resale but think it would be a bit over optimistic!

2 minutes ago, sedra said:

Am in hospital having finally had my right hip replaced-we weren’t lucky in the main sale but I am not sure I’ll be fit enough by end June so may just have to miss out this year after 21 years 🙁was going to try in resale but think it would be a bit over optimistic!

Sad news on Gkasto, but great news on the hip. Speedy recovery 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sedra said:

is it not possible still ? I know my mum had hers done and was up and about pretty quick as part of recovery ? cant remember the full rehab time though 

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

is it not possible still ? I know my mum had hers done and was up and about pretty quick as part of recovery ? cant remember the full rehab time though 

They say 12 weeks which is a bit tight and depends how well I do- a dry one I could probably cope with but not sure I’d manage a muddy one! I really struggled last year just with a stick so depends how I get on. 🙄

I really do need to motivate myself into switching from weight loss to fitness. I mean the improved fitness has been happening too by default but the weight loss really was the priority due to the diabetes diagnosis. Over 4.5 stone now. (29kgs). Got rid of nearly all my old clothes and bought new (well, raided the local charity shops. Nice that that's an option now. The men's selection tends to be not great. The fat bloke selection. Yeesh!) and you know what? I look good! It's so nice being able to wear clothes that fit well and look good on me and aren't just doomed attempts to hide my bulk. I'm a size medium now. Medium! (well, sometimes a large. Depends). I was a snug XXL 4 months ago.

Recently bumped into a couple of friends who I haven't seen since before I started. One almost didn't recognise me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

6 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I really do need to motivate myself into switching from weight loss to fitness. I mean the improved fitness has been happening too by default but the weight loss really was the priority due to the diabetes diagnosis. Over 4.5 stone now. (29kgs). Got rid of nearly all my old clothes and bought new (well, raided the local charity shops. Nice that that's an option now. The men's selection tends to be not great. The fat bloke selection. Yeesh!) and you know what? I look good! It's so nice being able to wear clothes that fit well and look good on me and aren't just doomed attempts to hide my bulk. I'm a size medium now. Medium! (well, sometimes a large. Depends). I was a snug XXL 4 months ago.

Recently bumped into a couple of friends who I haven't seen since before I started. One almost didn't recognise me.

Well done! Great achievement 

For the last week, after much procrastinating, I’ve been going to the gym, running and trying to be in calorie deficit. Knackered today but I feel better. No idea about the weight which I’ll check next week. Regretting getting pissed on Friday though. 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Big congrats @philipsteak! So officially speaking where are you at with the diabetes thing?

(jogged 6 km today, halfway to the "not overweight BMI by Glasto"  thing)

Thank you.

Officially, nothings changed as I can't get another set of tests done for a couple of months. My last test a month ago my blood glucose levels were 50. So I'm just in the diabetic range. But that's with medication. 48 and above is the classification for diabetes. To officially achieve remission you have to be below 48 for 3 months without medication. So next step is to get below 48, then drop the medication, then remission. Then get below 42 as that's the line for pre diabetes.

So a little way to go yet but very much in the right track. If I had to guess id say I'm probably below 48 now, but no way of knowing without another test.

Well done on the jogging. Seems to be going well for you

• Like 1

I'm a bit feck'ed this week, on account of seeing the in-laws in Dublin. I'm hoping to sneak out for a 10k around Phoenix on Wednesday... Guinness and the Grave Diggers permitting.

1 hour ago, Kalopsia said:

Came in around 3:50 in the end. Last 6 miles killed me and ruined my time. But I'm very proud. 

Sub 4 is great work with the challenges you've  had. 

More importantly, where did you go for food after? 😄

12 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Thank you.

Officially, nothings changed as I can't get another set of tests done for a couple of months. My last test a month ago my blood glucose levels were 50. So I'm just in the diabetic range. But that's with medication. 48 and above is the classification for diabetes. To officially achieve remission you have to be below 48 for 3 months without medication. So next step is to get below 48, then drop the medication, then remission. Then get below 42 as that's the line for pre diabetes.

So a little way to go yet but very much in the right track. If I had to guess id say I'm probably below 48 now, but no way of knowing without another test.

At least good motivation not to say "I lost the weight now I don't need to care anymore"!

As a side note the vet just put my cat on a diet, so that he doesn't get diabetic. I shall now update you on his weight loss progress 😛 . Startpoint: 7 kilos. 60g of diet kibbles a day.

19 minutes ago, moogster said:

At least good motivation not to say "I lost the weight now I don't need to care anymore"!

As a side note the vet just put my cat on a diet, so that he doesn't get diabetic. I shall now update you on his weight loss progress 😛 . Startpoint: 7 kilos. 60g of diet kibbles a day.

What's the carb content of kibble?

12 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

What's the carb content of kibble?

it IS actually lower carb 🙂. I was going through the description/ingredients and joked we could sell that to some keto folks 😛  But for cats it quite makes sense. Interestingly enough, he was getting "light" kibbles before but the vet checked and the difference with another brand of light was 20%! 

29 minutes ago, moogster said:

it IS actually lower carb 🙂. I was going through the description/ingredients and joked we could sell that to some keto folks 😛  But for cats it quite makes sense. Interestingly enough, he was getting "light" kibbles before but the vet checked and the difference with another brand of light was 20%! 

Interesting. I've still got those last few kilos to lose...